Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Windows installation should disregard capitalization in saving dialog

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-29, 07:03

Except for passwords it is very unusual in the windows world to observe differences in capitalisation. The fact that WL does so, is not helpful for the average windows user.
Maybe this behavior should be changed?

I'm placing this suggestion here for discussion, (not in the bug tracker) as I dont oversee the implication this might have for other OSs and for documentation.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-03-29, 16:14

What do you mean exactly? What should be changed in your opinion? I was under the impression that Windows did show lower/upper case in filenames, and the only potentially problematic scenario is when you already have a savegame called "foo" and are now trying to save under the name "FOO", which Windows considers to be the same name, unlike Linux.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-29, 19:46

Oh, let's see if I can explain. WL behaves like you were using Linux. "foo" is not "FOO" they are different savegames. If you save under the name of "FOO" (under Windows) you would expect that it overwrites "foo", but you get a new entry instead. If you want to relaod your game and choose among the list entries, you need to remember, because upper case and lower case are sorted A-Z then a-z. There is nothing critical happening, it just isn't what a windows user would expect. My idea was to force any entry in the savegame dialog to all upper or all lower case, so that "foo" really overwrites "FOO".

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-03-29, 22:34

But when a Windows user saves a game, he surely has a preference whether to write with capitals or not. So I think, he’ll mostly write the titles in the same manner. If one day he doesn’t, he’ll learn fast, that there are systems (or in this case games), that do differ between upper and lower case.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-30, 06:50

He he, Venatrix, you are 100% right! face-smile.png

The question that remains to answer is:
Do we want easy handling for those M$ spoilt windows-only users in all their complacency,
or do we want WL to be educational software in that sense?

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-03-30, 09:49

If you save under the name of "FOO" (under Windows) you would expect that it overwrites "foo", but you get a new entry instead.

Wow, I really haven't used Windows in a long time. The way I remember it, saving a file which differs from an existing file only in case would actually overwrite that file, and it was impossible to have two files of the same name up to case in the same directory.

If it's really not like I remember, then sure, why not change it, so long as the change is simple enough. But somebody on Windows should come up with the change.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-30, 11:56

Hmm.. it should be like that.... I'm myself confused now. The save directory looks okay in windows, just funny in the WF save dialog. On top of it, I had switched to the Widelands font and can hardly tell capitals from small caps. Maybe all the funny stuff comes, because I have switched from compressed storage to uncompressed, and now directories are sorted above files? OKay --- forget the topic for a while. I'll come back when I know what it really is, that I want.

Yes .... it is no more that fact that WF sorts A ->Z and then a->z instead of A,a,B,b,C,c ->Z,z ! And of course also that it show capitalisation at all in the file save dialog. Sorry about the confusion!

Edited: 2011-03-30, 12:07

Top Quote