Latest Posts

Topic: Tournament 2022

hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-06, 23:26

Hi everybody,
as we are approaching the Release Candidate for Version 1.1. I t will be a good time for a tournamant to test it as far as we can.

Any players interested in participating shall respond to this post or send me a PM.
Subscriptions will be open until the final start of the tournament.

The tournament will start on september 5th.
for the rules see 3rd post. Map Suggestions are welcome.

The tournament will start to be played with version 1.1~git25864 (b301eaa@master)

This post will be updated to reflect latest state of the tournament.

Round 1

Game will be played on "Crater Lake", Win condition is territorial time.
Deadline for starting the game is monday september 12th, 23:59 CEST. Deadline for completing the game is one week later

blue player result red Player time
WorldSavior 1 - 0 Hasi50 Saturday September 17th, 18.30 CEST
Seefahrer 0 - 1 kaputtnik Saturday September 10th, 10.00 CEST
hessenfarmer 0 - 1 Nordfriese Thursday September 8th, 19.30 CEST
niektory 0 - 1 tothxa Tuesday September 6th, 22.00 CEST
Mars 0 - 1 the-x Saturday September 10th, 21.30 CEST

Please make contact to your opponents and agree on playtime. Please announce your playtime in this thread so I can add it to the table for spectators.

Round 2

Game will be played on "Inselkrieger Tournament Version", Win condition is autocrat.
Deadline for starting the game is monday September, 26th. Deadline for completing the game is one week later

tothxa 0 - 1 WorldSavior Sunday September 25th, 23.00 CEST
kaputtnik 0 - 1 the-x to be rescheduled
Nordfriese 1 - 0 Seefahrer Saturday September 24th, 10.00 CEST
niektory 0 - 1 Mars Monday September 26th, 20.00 CEST
hessenfarmer 1 - 0 Hasi50 Wednesday September 21th, 19.30 CEST

Please make contact to your opponents and agree on playtime. Please announce your playtime in this thread so I can add it to the table for spectators.

Round 3

Game will be played on "Long long way v2 (official map), green vs white", Win condition is HQ Hunter.
Deadline for starting the game is Tuesday October, 11th. Deadline for completing the game is one week later

green player result white Player time
the-x 0 - 1 WorldSavior Friday October 7th, 20.00 CEST
Nordfriese 0- 1 kaputtnik Sunday October 2nd, 17.00 CEST
Mars 1 - 0 hessenfarmer Thurday October 6th, 20.00 CEST
tothxa 1 - 0 Hasi50 Monday October 3rd, 23.00 CEST
Seefahrer 0 - 1 niektory Sunday October 2nd, 17.00 CEST

Round 4

Game will be played on "Forest Valley for Tournament", Win condition is HQ Hunter.
Deadline for starting the game is Sunday, October 16th. Deadline for completing the game is one week later

WorldSavior 1 - 0 kaputtnik Sunday, October 16th, 12.00 CEST
the-x 1 - 0 tothxa Friday, October 14th, 23.00 CEST
Mars 1 - 0 Nordfriese Saturday, October 15th, 21.00 CEST
hessenfarmer 1 - 0 niektory Thursday, October 13th, 20.00 CEST
Hasi50 1 - 0 Seefahrer Sunday, October 16th, 09.00 CEST

Round 5

This round will be played with the Release Candidate see "the RC announcement" for details how to download.

Game will be played on Four mountains (official map), Win condition is woodgnome (this includes autocrat). Peaceful Mode is allowed if both players agree.
Second player (i.e. lower ranked) has the first pick on start position.
Deadline for starting the game is Friday, October 28th. Deadline for completing the game is one week later

first player result second Player time
WorldSavior 1 - 0 Mars Wednesday, October 19th, 20.00 CEST
the-x 1 - 0 Nordfriese Saturday, October 22nd, 11.00 CEST
tothxa 1 - 0 kaputtnik Saturday, October 22nd, 23.00 CEST
hessenfarmer 1 - 0 Seefahrer postponed
Hasi50 0 - 1 niektory Thursday, October 20th, 20.00 CEST

Edit. I made a mistake resulting in niektory playing a second time against Seefahrer. Needed to correct that. I am sorry for any inconveniences.

Edited: 2022-10-30, 22:16

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-06, 23:26

Participants:

1. hessenfarmer
  2. Nordfriese
  3. Mars
  4. kaputtnik
  5. WorldSavior
  6. the-x
  7. Seefahrer
  8. niektory
  9. Hasi50
  10. tothxa

current ranking

----------RANKING AFTER ROUND 1-----------

place player score bucholz match penalty
1 kaputtnik 1 0
1 Nordfriese 1 0
1 tothxa 1 0
1 WorldSavior 1 0
1 the-x 1 0
6 Seefahrer 0 1
6 Hasi50 0 1
6 hessenfarmer 0 1
6 niektory 0 1
6 Mars 0 1

----------RANKING AFTER ROUND 2-----------

place player score buchholz match penalty
1 the-x 2 2
2 Nordfriese 2 1
2 WorldSavior 2 1
4 tothxa 1 2
4 Mars 1 2
4 kaputtnik 1 2
4 hessenfarmer 1 2
8 Hasi50 0 3
8 Seefahrer 0 3
10 niektory 0 2

----------RANKING AFTER ROUND 3-----------

1 WorldSavior 3 4
2 the-x 2 7
3 kaputtnik 2 4
3 tothxa 2 4
3 Mars 2 4
6 Nordfriese 2 3
7 hessenfarmer 1 4
7 niektory 1 4
9 Hasi50 0 6
10 Seefahrer 0 5

----------RANKING AFTER ROUND 4-----------

1 WorldSavior 4 8
2 Mars 3 8
3 the-x 2.5 11 0.5
4 tothxa 2 9
4 kaputtnik 2 9
6 Nordfriese 2 7
6 hessenfarmer 2 7
8 Hasi50 1 8
9 niektory 1 7
10 Seefahrer 0 6

Edit: table of round 4 edited due to penalty for the-x.

Edit 2: I made a mistake. calculating the buchholz from penalized points would be a penalty for all players who played the penalized one. This was not intended. So the table needed correction again.

----------FINAL RANKING AFTER ROUND 5-----------

1 WorldSavior 5 13
2 the-x 3.5 15 0.5
3 Mars 3 16
4 tothxa 3 14
5 hessenfarmer 3 8
6 kaputtnik 2 14
7 Nordfriese 2 12
8 niektory 2 10
9 Hasi50 1 13
10 Seefahrer 0 10

So the Tournament is over. Again the winner is once more WorldSavior. Congratulations.

But apart from the foreseeable winner, we had a good mixture of players. From veterans like the-x, Mars, Hasi50, kaputtnik and myself to new players like tothxa, Nordfriese and Seefahrer. Although I had not the time to watch every match there had been intense matches and sometimes new strategies with remarkable results. Many thanks for participating and I hope you enjoyed the tournament.

Edited: 2022-10-30, 22:42

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-06, 23:27

Provisional rules (may be subject to small changes)

Thread for results and replays

https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/5627/

Version to be played

Release Candidate 1.1 for Round 5
version 1.1~git25864 (b301eaa@master) for Rounds 1 to 4

you can download this here:
https://github.com/widelands/widelands/releases/tag/v1.1-rc1 for Round 5
https://github.com/widelands/widelands/releases/tag/Tournament2022 for previous rounds

on linux you may use the latest flathub-beta package instructions

Maps:

Round 1: Crater Lake
Round 2: Inselkrieger Tournament Version
Round 3: Long long way v2 (offical map), green vs white
Round 4: Forest Valley for Tournament
Round 5: Four Mountains (official map)

Rules

copied from previous tournaments thanks to King_of_ Nowhere

the tournament will be played with the swiss system.

the pairings will be declared at the beginning of every turn, so keep an eye on the forum. Once the turns are declared, contact your opponent and set up your game. after the game, notify the result to me and send me the replay.

there will be one week to play normally, and one week overtime. People are expected to play in the first week. Going overtime is penalized, except in a few specific cases, most notably if you start a game without finishing it, or if you announced in advance you would be missing for a few days. after two weeks, games not played will be assigned by forfait as a loss to both players, except for a few cases. Games started but still ongoing will be assigned by a judge, generally as draw unless there are good reasons not to. In no case a game will be allowed to continue after two weeks, as all the results will be needed to make the new turn.

I, hessenfarmer, will be the arbiter for all disputations, if no other not participating senior member will volunteer. However, in the interest of having a judge who is not a player and therefore potentially biased, some old and respected player willl be appointed the supreme arbiter. If you think my judgment was unfair, you can appeal to him, but you have then to accept his decision.

FULL VERSION

0) basics

Playing which map? For all games the map declared above is used. Choice of position is free, if not set in the announcement of the round (might be the case due to balanced position issues).       
If participants can't agree on positions the lower ranked (second) participant has the first pick.     
Playing which tribe? Choice of tribe is free as long as it is not declared in the announcement of the round.      
If participants can't agree on the order of selecting tribes, the higher ranked (first) participant has to choose first. Switching after choosing is completed, is not allowed.    
Startcondition is always "Headquarters". Unless declared otherwise in the announcement.        
The game version should be the Release Candidate  Make sure to take care that every player in a match uses the same game version.      
Games are hosted by one of the players or another person. If you need to find someone to host for you, ask in the IRC chat.       
After every game, all players post the following results in a separate thread.     
    Who won.     
    Bugs / Glitches observed while playing.     
    A replay of the game (see next section for instructions).

1) pairings and ranking.

The tournament will be played with a swiss system pairing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament). Basically, first turn is paired at random, who wins get one point, draws (can happen by agreement between the players, or by either players failing to win after a long time) are awarded half a point. For further turns, players are paired against other players with an equal score, so winning will progressively give you harder opponents, and losing will give you easier opponents. Nobody will be eliminated.

There will be five turns, eventually a last round may be addded if to many equal results are present.

The final ranking will obviously be given according to the score. To sort players with equal score, the Bucholz system will be used: the Bucholz score of each player will be calculated as the sum of the scores of all his opponents; a higher score means one has played against stronger opponents. If two players also have the same Bucholz score, they will be ranked according to how their direct game ended, if they did play against each other. Otherwise, the tie will not be resolved. Exception to the whole Bucholz mechanism is for deciding the winner.

If there is an odd number of participants, a forfait will be included, i.e. a virtual player who will always lose without playing. If one player retires, a forfeit will be put in his place. So a forfeit is a free win, but since the forfait will lose all games, it will sink your bucholz :-)  If there are two forfeits, they will be eliminated.

After the last round, if one player leads the ranking alone, he will be the winner. If there are several ex-aequo winners, then they will play one final match on the map. If there are more then 4 ex-aequo winners a new map will be provided for this.

after the game, the players must post the replay. It is enough for one player to send it, but sending it twice to be safe cannot hurt.

2) time schedule

Ideally there should be one round per week, but up to two weeks is considered an acceptable delay. Never a turn will last more than two weeks. Therefore, when a round is started, every player is expected to play within one week. Since people from different time zones cannot reasonably play except on weekends, and need a couple days to set up a game, if the turn is declared thursday or later in the week, the deadline to play will be extended until the next sunday. Taking more than one week to play will entail penalties, and after two weeks the game will be assigned by the arbitral decision **as detailed below**:

If two players fail to play within one week, then they will be penalized by -1 point on their bucholz score. If they accumulate 3 such penalties, it will instead be commuted to 0.5 points in the score (so it could make you lose the tournament if you were tied up for the first place). If they still have not played after two weeks, the game will be assigned as lost to both of them. A few exceptions below:

if it can be demonstrated that the delay was clearly the fault of one player (for example, if one player failed to be there at the appointed time of the game, or if one was only available for very narrow time windows while the other was much more available) then only the player at fault will be penalized. After two weeks, the game will be won by forfait by the player declared not at fault. Of course, if you failed to play and think it was not your fault - or not only your fault - you should send me some kind of proof that your opponent set an unreasonable schedule. Copy of mailed messages is the preferred method.

if two players did play for some time but had to interrupt the game and continue from a reload at a later date, they will not be penalized for taking more than one week. At the end of two weeks, if they produced at least 6 hours of in-game gameplay (taking into account game speed; they can get away with only playing 2 hours if they used 3x speed for example) and they sent the replays to me and still there is no victor, then the game will be considered draw unless one player has a clear advantage.

If one player will notify in advance that he will have problems playing one week, he will not be penalized for going overtime; but please don't do it too often. If he still can't play after the two-weeks deadline, he will be declared loser by forfait, but will not face any more penalties. If you know you cannot play, you can try to agree a draw with another player with a similar score: if you find one willing, I'll try to manipulate the turn so that you can be paired against each other and get a draw by agreement.

3) arbitral decisions

Since I, hessenfarmer, cannot be considered an impartial arbiter on this matter, since I will also be a player, someone else, an old and trusted player or developer who will not be participating this time, will be the final arbiter for deciding which players should be penalized for tardiness and how to assign unfinished games. The arbiter is still to be declared. Though I will make the first decision in any game, anyone can appeal to him if he believes my decision is unfair.

It was never necessary to appear to the final arbiter, though. This has always been a clean and sportsmanlike community. Let's try to keep it that way.

4) lack of communication

If one consistently fails to answer communications (i.e. never answering, or never discussing game schedule; missing one message is acceptable) for more than one week, he's considered retired from the tournament. Though this would be a pity!

5) bug/glitch abuse

Abusing of known bugs and glitches as documented on our github repository will be forbidden. If any player has the suspicion that the opponent used a bug he may object. If the used behaviour is found to be a real bug by our senior developers, the match eventually needs to be repeated. Players won't be penalized for using undocumented bugs. (one motivation for this tournament is to find them).

6) allowed features

All new features of widelands are allowed in principle if both players agree on it: e.g. peaceful mode, custom start position etc.
Edited: 2022-10-18, 14:39

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-07, 09:24

For the first time I'm going to participate face-smile.png

Map suggestion: https://www.widelands.org/maps/forest-valley/

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-08-07, 18:45

Thank you for organizing the tournament, hessenfarmer.

I would also like to take part.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-07, 18:55

Count me in face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-08, 08:32

Hello there

I'm interested in taking part. Map suggestions:

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nilpanda
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-08-14, 17:45

Gibt es schon ein Release-Datum für die 1.1?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-14, 22:20

Nilpanda wrote:

Gibt es schon ein Release-Datum für die 1.1?

no there is no fixed date. However currently we are just one or two bugs before the RC. Then we need intensive testing for the RC by playing a tournament. If no critical bugs arise during the tournament Release v1.1. will be available 2 weeks after, I believe.

However to play the tournament we need more players. So please consider participating and make some advertisement for the tournament.

Top Quote
Nilpanda
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 19:14

that means, the release comes after the tournament?

Top Quote