Latest Posts

Topic: Empire mission 3

zlopez
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-24, 19:13

Hi,

I'm currently playing third mission as Empire in Widelands. I'm not sure if anybody else struggled with this mission, but for me it's almost impossible to win. It looks like the AI has almost unlimited resources and plenty of trained soldiers, I have the last iron mine and no gold to train the soldiers more. I tried to attack the Barbarians, but I just captured few outposts and lost them again very quickly with large amount of my soldiers. I barricaded myself using the foresters, so the AI can't attack me, but it builds one military building after another and still has plenty of trained soldiers. Now I'm just waiting till I deplete the last iron mine and I would be unable to hire or train new soldiers.

Is there something I'm just doing wrong? Till now I didn't have any issue with any previous mission, so the difficulty leap is just to big for me.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-07-25, 23:22

TBH I didn't find it hard, but I already had more experience than just these missions by the time I played it. So I didn't notice the difficulty leap.

How many islands and port spaces have you found? I attached savegames with 2 stages of my progress, so you can see how much land the AI had at the time I built my training infrastructure for comparison, and one where the AI is beaten, so you can see the whole map.

Do you know that when you're low on minerals, you can keep your depleted mines running, or even build new ones on spots without resources, and they'll still give you some mineral with about 5% efficiency? This comes up quite often here in the forums, but it is not documented in the tutorials nor the introductory missions.

Attachment:
emp03_saves.zip (1.9 MB)

Top Quote
zlopez
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 00:11

I have port on every island where it's possible to have port. I know that you can keep the mines even depleted, but I don't think this is very efficient and I don't think at this rate I will be able to train a strong army again. I will look at your saves, to see what I did wrong, but the leap in difficulty is just too much when compared to previous mission.

EDIT: Looking at your saved games, I must say, that you are much quicker with building the training buildings than me. It was one of the last things I did. I just focused on strong economy before building them. Maybe I'm more an economy builder than warlord and this game is just isn't for me face-confused.png

Edited: 2021-07-26, 00:16

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 02:15

zlopez wrote:

Maybe I'm more an economy builder than warlord and this game is just isn't for me face-confused.png

You could try the collectors win condition on a big map with peaceful mode. Only problem is that the 4 hours can be a bit long, but it can be fun.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
zlopez
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 10:11

4 hours? This mission took me 12 hours in first run and 9 hours in second run and I still didn't won it face-grin.png I will probably try to return back to where I left and see if I will be able to crush the barbarians, but with depleted mines it will probably be few more hours to get some trained soldiers again. And the AI already owns the biggest mountains in game, so we'll see if it wouldn't be just waste of the time.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 11:38

the key is to use the few ressources efficiently to train the soldiers to the hioghest level possible. Furthermore if you clear the stone isalnd directly east of your first port you might have a backdoor into the barbarians economy. Additionally you might first dig all thecoal out o the starting island to redirect the food to the iron mines as soon as they are available.
Anyhow which version are you playing? did you save any time (or even early) in the progress and restartet the mission from a savegame.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 12:11

the key is to use the few ressources efficiently to train the soldiers to the hioghest level possible. Furthermore if you clear the stone isalnd directly east of your first port you might have a backdoor into the barbarians economy. Additionally you might first dig all thecoal out o the starting island to redirect the food to the iron mines as soon as they are available.
Anyhow which version are you playing? did you save any time (or even early) in the progress and restartet the mission from a savegame?

Top Quote
zlopez
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 12:27

I'm playing the 1.0 version and I did restarted the mission from start to be able to try different approach. I used most of the resources available for soldiers training and still failed miserable after first contact with the barbarians. As I said earlier, I will probably give it one more try and hope that the next mission wouldn't be that difficult.

Otherwise the Widelands is a nice relaxing game, that you can leave running in background and do something else in the meantime face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 12:30

Ok,
this might annoy you but there is a severe bug we couldn't fix yet. If reloaded from a savegame the AI is much better then without this restart. That might explain why it is so hard for you while it might be easier for others.
Sorry for the annoyance. So you might try this without saving, while we will have a look in the difficulty if reloaded from a a savegame.

Top Quote
zlopez
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-26, 12:38

So to have the correct AI difficulty, it means that I need to finish the mission in one run without loading any save game?

Hm, I will probably need to clear one day of the weekend for this face-grin.png

Top Quote