Latest Posts

Topic: Problem with worker requests

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-08, 22:10

kaputtnik wrote:

1. It makes one feel the economy settings are very important, but in a real game it isn't.

But yes, they are

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-11, 17:51

hessenfarmer wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

I have played also the economy tutorial again. It doesen't explain the "produce-on-demand" mode. Instead this tutorial does two things:

Ok so we should update this a bit I suppose. Thanks for reevaluating.

1. It makes one feel the economy settings are very important, but in a real game it isn't.
  2. It shows how to handle the economy settings in a situation where ressources are plentyfully there. In real games this situation will likely not arise, because the one who produces wares on the limit (= turn every ware in shortest time into the needed ware), will likely win the game. A stock management (economy settings) isn't really needed.

Here I disagree. there are situations where it is defi itly useful to produce for stock (at least the following).
1. Construction material should be stocked to a certain amount to allow for quick expansion if needed (having multiple construction sites at one time)

I agree that having building materials in stock can speed up building, but i believe speeding up is not that huge, anyway an advantage.

1. To produce intermediate wares if all ressources are available to save time once they are needed (e.g. rations, beer)

Not sure here. In my test games this was never be a problem.

1. If the space isn't sufficient to have a full production chain (e.g. scenario emp03)

Ok, but i would call this an exception from normal games.

Another example why the current worker requests are some how not satisfying:
Everyone knows this situation: While expanding you find mountains and send geologists over them. They find ores, place markers and the markers vanish over time. Since one can't remember the exact position of the ore deposits, the player may place the corresponding mine above the ore deposit, without connecting it to the economy. At least i did this in the past... If an old mine get empty, i just had to connect the mines construction site with road network and dismantle the empty mine. On big maps, like The Nile i had several unconnected construction sites of mines. With the knowledge, that each placed mine, although unconnected with the economy, will trigger a request for a miner, which forces the toolsmith to produce a pick, which needs at least one iron, i think i hadn't done this.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-11, 18:08

In the end, whether economy settings are important or not depends on your way of playing. I usually set them to the Stockpile profile when I have a full economy and then forget about them. They are never useless, but their biggest importance is for pro players who want to finetune everything.

If an old mine get empty, i just had to connect the mines construction site with road network and dismantle the empty mine. On big maps, like The Nile i had several unconnected construction sites of mines. With the knowledge, that each placed mine, although unconnected with the economy, will trigger a request for a miner, which forces the toolsmith to produce a pick, which needs at least one iron, i think i hadn't done this.

Not quite. Requests, plans and stuff are handled on a per-economy level. If the mine is unconnected, this mine and its flag will be an economy of itself. This small economy would create a plan in a warehouse if it could, but there are no warehouses in this economy, so no plans are created until it is connected to your HQ or some other "functional" economy.
Edit: For all economic purposes, each economy pretends that itself is the universe and that everything that's not connected to it does not exist.

Edited: 2020-07-11, 18:10

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-12, 09:54

kaputtnik wrote:

Another example why the current worker requests are some how not satisfying:
Everyone knows this situation: While expanding you find mountains and send geologists over them. They find ores, place markers and the markers vanish over time. Since one can't remember the exact position of the ore deposits, the player may place the corresponding mine above the ore deposit, without connecting it to the economy. At least i did this in the past... If an old mine get empty, i just had to connect the mines construction site with road network and dismantle the empty mine. On big maps, like The Nile i had several unconnected construction sites of mines. With the knowledge, that each placed mine, although unconnected with the economy, will trigger a request for a miner, which forces the toolsmith to produce a pick, which needs at least one iron, i think i hadn't done this.

Ok, this was an assumption based on the Hammer problem of the first post. After testing i have to admit that this assumption was wrong, sorry.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote