Latest Posts

Topic: More Ships

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-20, 07:19

There are 2 ways of solving the no-sound problem:

1. Add a chat message
  2. Signal attack location on the minimap and animate it so that it will catch the eye. We already have an open issue for this: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/2074

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-20, 10:30

I am sorry, but I haven't read most of the messages here. I just got that somebody proposed different types of ships. And water combat.

I don't like the idea of direct water combat since it is not Widelands-like, nor Settlers-like.

But I have came up with different idea instead. I guess that somebody else had something similar in mind.

Complex proposal

3 types of expeditions:

• Standard, building up a port
  • Scouts (need scout worker inside)
  • Military (need at least one soldier)

With military expedition you can only attack scouted ports. Scouted - to be defined. I have 2 ideas: scout expedition just spot a port (and it is on the list) OR scout expedition is staying near enemy's port.

Also military expedition can move to any of your ports to defend and when the enemy attacks, all the soldiers are defending the port. It is something like moving fortress.

Simplified proposal

2 types of expeditions:

• Standard, building up a port
  • Military (need at least one soldier)

Military expedition behave like a standard one, but when it spot a port (not a port place!), the message of spot port should appear, plus the attack button too.

Additional needs

Probably most significant one is the need of treating ports and headquarters like non-attacking military buildings. Soldiers should be possible to station there and defend the building.

Another need is to balance the defence / attack situation: port can't be dismantled when it is under attack. That is my opinion and can impact the game very much.

Also considerations about what should become after winning the attack on the port. Should the port remain and only change the owner? Or it should be rebuilt by standard expedition (no destruction included)? Or just be destroyed? From my perspective, the most complex situation is probably the best here: you win, you own. But nothing else (you can't use the port). Enemy can recapture the port and restore the wares inside. But if you bring a standard expedition, you begun to rebuild the port and all the wares are lost. The owned and rebuild port should be immune to land-theft on other military buildings (probably the biggest change here).

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-09-21, 08:34

einstein13 wrote:

I don't like the idea of direct water combat since it is not Widelands-like, nor Settlers-like.

I do not like it either. However, if 100% consesnsus is needed, all development halts. Therefore, suggesting changes that minimize the damage are the way to go.

• Scouts (need scout worker inside)

I think that scout ships are a good idea. I suppose that some folks study maps (in editor) in advance, especially in tournaments, for gaming advantage.

When it comes to ships, the reason is that currently, discovering remote harbour locations is lots of manual work. The "follow coastline" option is marvellous, but finding small remote islands could be made more automatic. Like a "scout mode", where the ship sails to unknown waters, until none remains or previously-unknown coastline is found (after which it could even sail around).

Probably most significant one is the need of treating ports and headquarters like non-attacking military buildings. Soldiers should be possible to station there and defend the building.

This would still lead to situation where defender needs a garrison at each port, and aggressor can concentrate all his power to one location. This is fine if the warware is at center. If economy is the main goal, and military operations are just a way to measure the outcome, then this would be less okay.

Another need is to balance the defence / attack situation: port can't be dismantled when it is under attack. That is my opinion and can impact the game very much.

Why? If port is dismantled, then the area (probably) lapses under no military control. We could just declare that dismantling site, roads etc do not prevent the construction of another port by another player (but military control of the area does). Read: Attempt to build a port causes a flash of military control to the area, which causes roads etc. to disappear. If that clears the port area, then new port can be constructed. Ignoring the burning dismantling site in that check would cause some new coding, though.

GunChleoc wrote:

1. Add a chat message
  2. Signal attack location on the minimap and animate it so that it will catch the eye. We already have an open issue for this: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/2074

3 . A large pop-up message obstructing significant part of the window & game halted for one second (pop-up disappears automagically after the halt period is over) ? Attention guaranteed; I would like this, unsure if annoys others.. Optional? (edit:typo)

Edited: 2019-09-21, 08:35

Top Quote
NexusDarkshade
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-09-21, 19:39

teppo wrote:

3 . A large pop-up message obstructing significant part of the window & game halted for one second (pop-up disappears automagically after the halt period is over) ? Attention guaranteed; I would like this, unsure if annoys others.. Optional? (edit:typo)

A pop-up halting the game would be bad. In many cases, when an attack is launched against you, you're going to have multiple military sites, causing an influx of several "Attack!" mails. Work would have to be done to ensure the same thing doesn't happen to the pop-up.

However, this issue is not relevant to the current topic, so if it needs to be discussed more, please create a new post for it.

Top Quote