Latest Posts

Topic: make 2x the default speed

stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 22:25

I'm also against changing the default value. As simplypeachy said 2x is just a button press away.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 22:41

stonerl wrote:

I'm also against changing the default value. As simplypeachy said 2x is just a button press away.

Well, switching from 2x to 1x would be also just a button press away.

simplypeachy wrote:

I often play at 1x and don't see why any changes are needed to the game. If you prefer 2x speed, you press a single key once when you start a game and that's all. Doing so is simple and quick. One must be careful of assuming that "the way I play is the way most people play".

The initial suggestion was to get eventually more players if the game is running with more speed by default, and not about personal preferences.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 13:53

The initial suggestion was to get eventually more players if the game is running with more speed by default, and not about personal preferences.

Let´s assume there is a significant number of players who will play Widelands if the default speed is 2x but not if it´s 1x. (How many players like this do you estimate are there, by the way?). Assuming this is granted, then the playerbase majority will shift towards an attitude that Widelands should be a fast fast fast game all about speed, where performing the same clicks as the opponent a split-second faster is sufficient to win. Do we really want that? At the very least, it is quite incompatible with the current description of the Widelands idea. I would be very sad to see a great game that is played in realtime and yet agreeably unhurried degenerate into a fastclick contest like that.

Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 14:03

I'm also against this idea... But I'm a new player, and I like take time to understand, it's why I prefer the speed is slow. I think that it's a trick of experimented player to play fast.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 15:04

There is a great solution here to know what players prefer as "default speed": make a poll

This website used to use this tool and that is great opportunity to use this tool again. Then we will see if majority of players likes this idea or not.

https://www.widelands.org/poll/

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 20:36

einstein13 wrote:

There is a great solution here to know what players prefer as "default speed": make a poll

This website used to use this tool and that is great opportunity to use this tool again. Then we will see if majority of players likes this idea or not.

https://www.widelands.org/poll/

Who can create such a poll, an admin? I think taht polls would be good. The best place for them would be here on the website, wouldn't it?

Nordfriese wrote:

Let´s assume there is a significant number of players who will play Widelands if the default speed is 2x but not if it´s 1x. (How many players like this do you estimate are there, by the way?). Assuming this is granted, then the playerbase majority will shift towards an attitude that Widelands should be a fast fast fast game all about speed, where performing the same clicks as the opponent a split-second faster is sufficient to win.

What's fast about 2x? 1x is just very slow. And that the new players would prefer faster Widelands doesn't mean that they don't respect slow Widelands.

Do we really want that?

No, but I think that you overestimate that risk.

At the very least, it is quite incompatible with the current description of the Widelands idea.

I disagree. The descriptions of Widelands don't say that it's a slow game - probably because the speed is flexible.

https://www.widelands.org/

https://www.widelands.org/wiki/Description/

I would be very sad to see a great game that is played in realtime and yet agreeably unhurried degenerate into a fastclick contest like that.

It cannot become a fastclick contest, because it will still be very important to do the correct clicks. And why should it be "agreeably unhurried"?

kaputtnik wrote:

stonerl wrote:

Well, switching from 2x to 1x would be also just a button press away.

simplypeachy wrote:

I often play at 1x and don't see why any changes are needed to the game. If you prefer 2x speed, you press a single key once when you start a game and that's all. Doing so is simple and quick. One must be careful of assuming that "the way I play is the way most people play".

Exactly!

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 20:48

kaputtnik wrote:

But is this a real complaint? Have we had feedback from freshmen that the game is to slow? Changing the speed just based on assumptions doesn't help either.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 21:10

stonerl wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

But is this a real complaint? Have we had feedback from freshmen that the game is to slow? Changing the speed just based on assumptions doesn't help either.

For example GunChleoc posted recently a report of someone who criticized the game slightly because it would be so "slow-paced".

And once I've met someone in the lobby who told that he prefers the game at 15x or something like that. At normal speed, he played much stronger than average.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 21:38

I would be in favour for keeping the default at 1x and add an option to the Main Menu where the user can set his/her preferred speed.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-23, 09:53

stonerl wrote:

I would be in favour for keeping the default at 1x and add an option to the Main Menu where the user can set his/her preferred speed.

Looks like this is the only satisfying solution.

A poll would not help here, because 'fresh players' likely do not vote (they have to find the poll, and have to register here). So i guess the poll is influenced only by experienced players. But of course i can make one, without commitment.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote