Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-13, 08:51

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I'd be curious to see a the-x mars matchup, though. they may be close enough

Me too

hessenfarmer wrote:

Thanks to KoN from my side as well. It was my second tournament and they where my first online games ever. I really enjoyed them.
Thanks to tando for the match as well. Although I thought I may have a chance It was clear in the end. Still I am not sure what was my biggest mistake.

Your biggest mistake was of course that you didn't attack face-wink.png Okay, now the serious answer: Hard to say, but I'd say that you didn't build enough smelting works.

By the way, now the match between mars and king_of_nowhere will be like a "final" for the second place. Nice!

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-13, 12:54

WorldSavior wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I'd be curious to see a the-x mars matchup, though. they may be close enough

Me too

I'm not so much for ranking but I'd love to play widelands -> So I would be ready for a game - - - just pm me

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-13, 13:31

WorldSavior wrote:

Yes, but peaceful mode should also be available for territiorial win conditions.

That would be difficult for Territorial Lord if there are 3 players and none manages to get more than 1/2 of the land - the game will become unwinnable. It would be feasible for Territorial Time though for big maps - on Crater, it would be boring fter all territory has been conquered.

Edited: 2019-08-13, 13:32

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-14, 17:52

all this time i thought i scheduled my game at 20:30, and now i look and discover that it was at 18:30 instead. which would have been a problem for me.

mars graciously agreed to delay it to 20:00, so that's the new scheduled time.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 00:47

the game between me and mars was conflicted and exciting.

I have to apologize to mars for underestiimating him. I figured he'd take much longer to make hero soldiers and wouldn't be able to match my economy, so I wasn't careful with early micromanagement.

Big mistake. mars made hero soldiers quite fast, and managed to make quite many of them, while I got stuck short of bread. which was especially sucky because i needed the bread to operate the mines, which were needed to get iron which i needed to make the blackroot farmers, the lack of whom was the reason i got short on bread.

mars pushed me back from my early fortifications. my attempts to get land back or slow him down were poorly attempted, and only lost me more soldiers. I think if mars had pushed on, he may have reached my headquarters. the heart of my economy was there, so that would have crippled me past recovery. or maybe in the time it would take him to make new buildings i could reinforce my army and defend. we'll never know, but i would bet against me.

Instead, he decided to defend the land he gained and focus on getting victory points. that gave me the time to reorganize. i matched him for army, but he was severely leading in victory points.

I also focused on victory points, and that favored me, as I was faster in reaching more gold and push gold production. we had some more fighting, which ultimately stagnated as we both realized there wasn't enough time left to deal a killling blow and focused on collectors, where i eventually prevailed because of my headstart on gold.

EDIT: I looked at the replay; military situation was fairly evenly matched until my botched attack at 1:50. after than, for some 10 minutes i only had one hero and a few rookies against two full heroes and more rookies from mars. in that time he could have pushed on. after some 10-20 minutes, i produced enough new soldiers to recover. so, i probably could defend after giving up some ground. in fact, if i had known mars was so far from the gold he needed for collectors victory, i would have been much less worried.

on the other hand, mars had a few half trained soldiers. if he had micromanaged their training properly, he would have had 4 or 5 heroes against one, and he could have pushed for a while, probably taking part of my wood economy.

After some half an hour i relaxxed enough that i stoopped micromanaging the training sites. mistake: when mars attacked again around 2:30, instead of heroes i had half trained soldiers, and i lost lots of them. after that defeat i had to give up some land, but even then the hero count was 5 for me and 6 for mars, so I wasn't in immediate danger unless i got unlucky. mars on the other hand was micromanaging poorly, so by the time of his last big push at around 3:15 my military was stronger.

so, the whole game was a lesson on the importance of micromanagement.

I uploaded the replay, and I can't see my game against worldsavior there. in fact, i can't see most of the 4th round games. did i overlook them, or do they need to be uploaded?

Edited: 2019-08-15, 03:32

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 21:17

king_of_nowhere wrote:

the game between me and mars was conflicted and exciting.

Great match! It would be amazing if you would play a rematch face-wink.png

I think if mars had pushed on, he may have reached my headquarters.

Yes, maybe

I uploaded the replay, and I can't see my game against worldsavior there. in fact, i can't see most of the 4th round games. did i overlook them, or do they need to be uploaded?

Seems like you overlooked them.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-19, 09:01

ModellbahnerTT has defeated LAZA:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1832981/comments/37

So, that was the last game of this tournament. Has been fun!

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-19, 09:53

Thanks to KoN for organising.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-19, 20:20

@king_of_nowhere: Thank you again for organizing!

king_of_nowhere wrote:

it is perfectly allowed for a pplayer to get a draw by agreement. I may change that and add, for the next tournament, that one has to play at least two hours before agreeing to a draw - similar regulations have been introduced in chess.

Good idea

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-20, 02:40

WorldSavior wrote:

@king_of_nowhere: Thank you again for organizing!

king_of_nowhere wrote:

it is perfectly allowed for a pplayer to get a draw by agreement. I may change that and add, for the next tournament, that one has to play at least two hours before agreeing to a draw - similar regulations have been introduced in chess.

Good idea

on the other hand, I would like that people that must skip a game for real life reasons can still get a draw by agreement. nobody tried to abuse the draw by agreement so far anyway

Top Quote