Latest Posts

Topic: Increasing arrow key speed

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-07, 01:45

In the very first tutorial there is an instruction of the use of the arrow keys. Problem is: The arrow keys move the screen so slowly, it's close to be completely useless. So what about increasing that speed by several times to enable quick shifting? Of course it shouldn't be too fast, but we seem to be far away from that.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-07, 07:58

Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1827992

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-09, 09:29

How about some dynamic acceleration here? Start slow, and if the player keeps the arrow pressed, increase the velocity.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-09, 17:40

GunChleoc wrote:

How about some dynamic acceleration here? Start slow, and if the player keeps the arrow pressed, increase the velocity.

If the acceleration is high (enough) - why not? At the other hand it will be hard to move a long distance then, and if one wants to move only a short distance it could be too slow.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-10, 08:55

The acceleration would of course need to be capped so that it doesn't converge towards infinity. I am thinking it could be as simple as

if (movement_count > some_number {
    move m steps;
} else if (movement_count > some_smaller_number {
    move o steps;
} ...

Then play with the numbers until it feels right.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-12, 23:37

By the way: Many strategy games have a very good feature - if the mouse hits the edge of the screen, there is a perspective movement into that direction (unaccelerated). Isn't that better than needing to hold right click and moving the mouse all the time?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-13, 09:14

Does anyone actually use the sloooww arrow keys to navigate currently? Why not just increase the normal movement speed.

Many strategy games have a very good feature - if the mouse hits the edge of the screen, there is a perspective movement into that direction (unaccelerated). Isn't that better than needing to hold right click and moving the mouse all the time?

Only if it´s optional, I personally dislike edge-scrolling

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-13, 14:30

Nordfriese wrote:

Does anyone actually use the sloooww arrow keys to navigate currently? Why not just increase the normal movement speed.

Many strategy games have a very good feature - if the mouse hits the edge of the screen, there is a perspective movement into that direction (unaccelerated). Isn't that better than needing to hold right click and moving the mouse all the time?

Me too. I dislike edge-panning as well.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-13, 19:41

Nordfriese wrote:

Does anyone actually use the sloooww arrow keys to navigate currently?

I do it sometimes. Maybe more people would use the keys if the speed would be higher.

Why not just increase the normal movement speed.

Because the key movement speed is to slow and should be faster because of this. Increasing the normal movement could be and additional feature which makes sense.

imho it could be optional. But maybe it should be default (after installing the game) because many people expect this feature in a strategy game?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-13, 19:52

Why not just increase the normal movement speed.

Because the key movement speed is to slow and should be faster because of this. Increasing the normal movement could be and additional feature which makes sense.

I did not explain well… I meant increasing the default speed of the arrow keys instead of implementing automatic acceleration or modifier shortcuts. The mouse movement speed is fine as it is.

imho it could be optional. But maybe it should be default (after installing the game) because many people expect this feature in a strategy game?

Agreed, after all most games have that (annoying face-wink.png ) feature

Top Quote