Latest Posts

Topic: Bazaar checkout

teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-04-09, 06:56

I recently tried to follow the BZR Primer instructions. Checkout was interrupted and the repo was in some funny state: Following commands failed to "Not a branch: "/Users/sirver/Desktop/Programming/cpp/widelands/git_svn_trunk/" error..

I got around by logging in (not in the instructions), reinitializing the directory and then redownloading the repository. I have the feeling that download speed is faster when logged in, and some timeout did not trigger. This might not be an option to folks with slow internet connection. Also, as the repo gradually increases, checkout becomes more difficult.

In short: I was unable to follow the instructions linked above. We might lose potential future contributors, if getting the source is too difficult. Not everybody is familiar with BZR.

Is anybody a BZR guru here? How to pull a copy of the repository without logging in / with a slow connection?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-09, 07:40

I am not a bazaar Guru...

teppo wrote:

I recently tried to follow the BZR Primer instructions. Checkout was interrupted and the repo was in some funny state: Following commands failed to "Not a branch: "/Users/sirver/Desktop/Programming/cpp/widelands/git_svn_trunk/" error..

The path looks very strange. I assume you are not SirVer...

Can you please provide on which operating system you are on and which command causes this error (do you used the lightwight checkout)?

I got around by logging in (not in the instructions), reinitializing the directory and then redownloading the repository.

Logging in to Launchpad? This shouldn't matter, imho.

In short: I was unable to follow the instructions linked above. We might lose potential future contributors, if getting the source is too difficult. Not everybody is familiar with BZR.

There is an idea to switch to github, but i don't believe that github is less complicated. Bazaar isn't really complicated. It is unfamiliar to use until one get familiar with the workflow. If someone like me can get familiar with it, others can get familiar with it also i think.

Launchpad itself is sometimes slow.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-09, 12:58

The primer is missing instructions to use the init-repo command - the first branch will still take as long, but following branches will load faster.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-04-10, 20:00

kaputtnik wrote:

The path looks very strange. I assume you are not SirVer...

Also, there is no "/Users" directory on my computer..

Can you please provide on which operating system you are on and which command causes this error (do you used the lightwight checkout)?

Debian, full checkout: bzr branch lp:widelands/trunk

Logging in to Launchpad? This shouldn't matter, imho.

Similar thing has happened to me at least once before, too, on different computer(s). Login might or might not affect: it would not be the first time when anonymous users get less bandwidth and a timeout or something happens.

I tried repeating this many (=10) times over, and could not repeat it.

There is an idea to switch to github, but i don't believe that github is less complicated. Bazaar isn't really complicated. It is unfamiliar to use until one get familiar with the workflow. If someone like me can get familiar with it, others can get familiar with it also i think.

Github might not be less complicated, but is more widely known. I was afraid that it is commonplace that checking out entire repo from scratch fails, something that potential new guy always tries to do but regulars probably not that often. Luckily, it seems I was wrong. Nothing personal against launchpad.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-11, 09:38

The big problem with Launchpad is that it's understaffed. Regarding its basic design, bazaar is a lot easier to work with than git in my book. Git does have some advantages though, like shallow clones and submodules.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-04-12, 10:16

If you are more familiar with Git, use the widelands Github repository:

https://github.com/widelands/widelands

Trunk and every branch with a merge requests gets mirrored there, because we use this repo for CI (Travis/Appveyor) integration.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-13, 11:45

Good point! Teppo is contributing code though, so GitHub won't help him.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote