Latest Posts

Topic: Graphics Library

toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-08-20, 07:01

I wonder what the developers' experience and history is with using graphic toolkits for this project. Have you been trying different ones and why did you choose for SDL?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-20, 16:41

SDL was about the only one that was already around 15 years ago. I think the choice for SDL was a good one - Sam Lantinga is a great guy and was already back then a very experienced game engineer - having started (I think) loki games and having worked at blizzard on starcraft and warcraft 3. SDL also reasonably kept up with the times - the transition to accelerated graphics in SDL2 was well done and it now runs on all the mobile platforms too which is a great boon.

That said, SDL is fairly low level - it provides cross platform abstractions that you can build any design on. You will end up writing your own GL pipeline and probably your own render system/scene graph. Sound support is basically some timing guarantees and a sound buffer you can write in. If you want to get a game up and running quickly, I would suggest using a higher level library abstraction. One that I really like these days is piston which I would be interested in trying out for a while.

Of course there is also something like ogre - which seems to me aging poorly though (just a fleeting look at it, no real experience here) or commercial solutions like Unity. Those give you a lot: a scene graph that makes showing something easy, physics and sound effect integrated into your 3d world already. You can whip together a prototype game with these in a weekend - but the learning curve is probably pretty steep.

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-08-21, 07:36

Thanks! Very interesting information.

As far as I know SDL does not offer a GUI windowing system. Are you or have you been using any ready packages for Wideland's GUI operations?
As for Audio, is Widelands exclusively based on SDL or using other types of devices?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-22, 12:36

Are you or have you been using any ready packages for Wideland's GUI operations?

We rolled our own: you find it in src/ui_basic.

For Audio we only use SDL and SDL_mixer. I consider SDL_mixer as elementary and part of SDL. This is also true for SDL_image and SDL_ttf. The others can be useful, but are not as down to the metal.

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-08-25, 23:01

Thanks! I'll have a look at it,

Top Quote