Latest Posts

Topic: Flood Tool:

fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-12-01, 11:41

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I'd also like for the flood tool to be able to increase or decrease the height of all the map

Perhaps different options for leveling water, land or both could help even better. In many maps the waters are not as flat as they are supposed to be.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-01, 12:39

I think picking your base terrain when creating a new map is the most important feature off the list, so I'll look into implementing that first.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-12-01, 17:39

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i am bumping this thread to say that I am starting a 512 x 512 map, and I realized we need this tool badly. my wrist is aching from moving in circles while holding down the index and ring fingers, and i am barely at one quarter of the job. also, this was the most boring part of mapmaking ever.

You see what I mean now ...

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-01, 18:02

GunChleoc wrote:

I think picking your base terrain when creating a new map is the most important feature off the list, so I'll look into implementing that first.

*thumbsup* The corresponding bugrepoert

And it would be great to have the "open map" window when starting the editor. Or open always the map which was last edited. Somewhere there was a discussion about that....

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-04, 17:56

I have started working on this. At the moment, I have one long list of terrains - I think it might be nice to sort them into multiple tabs. How do we want to organize them?

1. Like the terrain tool

2. According to "is" value (navigable, arable etc.)

ETA: Branch and Screenshot

New Map

Edited: 2015-12-04, 19:22

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-12-04, 20:44

To be honest I would hazard a guess that most people have a favourite "start" terrain for all maps, and that would either be meadow of some sort, water or plains. I can't imagine that most people would want to choose different start terrains each time.

Perhaps when we open the terrain menu it may be easier to have some sort of hover/tick option, and set that to select as default new map terrain, and then whenever we start a new map that will always be the first option, as it is "locked" into the terrain config file. It woud also save drawing resources of a new menu each time.

I'm not a coder, but I would hope that anyone would want to minimise the amount of work that needs doing on this ... but hey, I'm really happy that someone is having a go at working on this issue.

Having said all of that, your image looks fantastic, and the (long) menu will only need to be used once for each map, so maybe a "select favourite" from your menu would lock it to the top of the menu for next time, so each new map edit session would look to "last used" default terrain.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-04, 21:41

I think we could decrease the numbers of terrains a lot. Creating a map is much work. If there is one base terrain which covers all fields, it is nevertheless much work to change the fields where one wouldn't want to use the base terrain. F.e. place terrains which are not arable or just to make the surface looks nicer.

As staustelladam wrote, the main decision is to use water or not. Having water as base terrain for a new map is a decision if you want to have islands in this map.

Another decision would be to have a specific biome. In my mind it should be enough to have one or two types of terrains of each biome to choose from as a base terrain. One or two should be enough because a great amount of the base terrain get changed while making a map.

Mountainous terrains could be omitted as a whole i think. Also "dead" or "impassable" terrains.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-12-04, 22:48

If we are discussing the "terrain options" menu on loading a new map the following could be considered to build in as well:

Whilst I haven't done this in build 18, in all builds from build 11 I would ## all of the terrains (and bobs) options that I didn't use, or would never use, in the config files. This was mainly duplicate mountain and water terrains, and sometimes (in the four world types) I would be left with 8 rather than 16 terrain types.

With the new format I would have thought that this "scraping out the surplus" would also be a good idea, and I'm waiting for build 19 before I mod out my config files.

So, in parallel with the "select terrain" and have this tag into the config files, additional function of "suppress" terrain types would mean that we can each individually work with the terrain types we all like best in our editor.

Only some thoughts ...

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-05, 01:12

For me this tool should contain choosing more than one type of terrain. Of course it can be done in the future face-wink.png But this idea contain using all of terrain types. I am against choosing only some of the types. Better is to make "tabs" like in standard terrain tool or other way to split types into groups.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-05, 01:23

Well, the screenshot you see is the fastest way to implement it - it just dumps all the terrains there are into a list. Having multiple tabs according to one of the 2 methods I described above can also be implemented easily, because all the properties that I would need are already encoded.

Showing only specific terrain types or remembering a default terrain would take longer to implement. Something else that I could do pretty easily would be to restrict the terrain types to 1 of each type (arable, navigable, unreachable etc.) - it would simply be the first one found on the list for each type.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote