kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-27, 17:18

+1 for the tabs, they look awesome and are a great idea

Thanks, but this was your idea face-wink.png

This would use up more vertical space to scroll, but we wouldn't get the problem of having a very wide window.

What is the problem with wide windows?

I am thinking about a window (small in height) which sticks at the top of the screen. In regular i have the wareswindow allways open and it keeps allready a cuple of the screen. Additional windows hides more of the screen. A small window at the top would IMHO not disturb as tall windows.

And a questions about window background: Some Windows have a dark wooden style (e.g. Warehouse or buildings-choice), most have a normal wooden style. I there a rule of what Windows should have the dark background? Or depends the decision what background is used only on contrast-reasons?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-27, 18:34

This would use up more vertical space to scroll, but we wouldn't get the problem of having a very wide window.

What is the problem with wide windows?

The problem is that horizonzal scrollbars suck. My screen is quite small, and when stepping through buildings, you will still want to see the building and its window on screen, with maybe a bit of surroundings. So, a small window with a vertical scrollbar makes more sense.

You also need to keep in mind that with translations, short strings (and especially abbreviated ones like "info" or "OK") can become easily 3x as wide or even wider. Using tooltips will help with that as well, because they can overlap as much as they want face-smile.png

Edited: 2014-11-27, 18:34

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 00:10

I think i've got it:

build statistic

Every building is displayed as a picture. Below are the digits to display "build/construction" , "productivity" and Buttons for "previous/next" buildings.

• Buildings: They are displayd raised (for none building) or flatten (for at least one building is build). This info could allready be read in the next line, but so it looks nicer face-grin.png
  • Productivity: For buildings with no "productivity" (Warehouse, military buildings) the appropriate value is omitted. If a building could have productivity but there is no such building, the value is "–".

I choosed the middle-size of buildings, because there are the most buildings in empire tribe. I don' know, if the port-tab is needed. At the moment it shows naturally only one building (the port). Maybe it is possible to put there all related seafaring-stuff (Ports and Shipyard).

Edit: Is it possible to sort by economy instead of building-size? If so, we could make tabs like: Food, Wood and Stone, Military buildings, military training, ore, Seafaring, and so on.

Edited: 2014-11-28, 00:20

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 08:05

kaputtnik wrote:

I think i've got it:

I like it face-smile.png

• Buildings: They are displayd raised (for none building) or flatten (for at least one building is build). This info could allready be read in the next line, but so it looks nicer face-grin.png

How about the other way around? Raise the buildings that are there and make the ones where we don't have any completely flat, maybe with a line border around them? Or we could work with different border colors. Another idea would be to desaturate the colours of the buildings you don't have, but that would take more coding.

Edit: Is it possible to sort by economy instead of building-size? If so, we could make tabs like: Food, Wood and Stone, Military buildings, military training, ore, Seafaring, and so on.

We don't have categories for that at the moment. It sounds like a good idea, the question is if it will make the user interface easier to understand - the premise I always work from is to make the same thing always look like the same thing, and to also call it the same thing.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 13:27

I've made another mock. Each row contains different displayoptions for the buildings:

Build stat

1. Row: Colored borders aren't my taste.
  2. Row: Because raised pictures looks like a button ("oh, somthing clickable"), this wasn't a good idea. I bet that people do allways want to click on such buttons face-grin.png . Anyway i leave it here with the opposit style (Raised = one building build). If none is build, the image is only shown (without flatten style)
  3. Row: Shows some buildings grayed out.
  4. Row: Only pictures are displayed, this seems the best to me.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 16:10

We don't have categories for that at the moment. It sounds like a good idea, the question is if it will make the user interface easier to understand - the premise I always work from is to make the same thing always look like the same thing, and to also call it the same thing.

While it would sometimes be nice to differentiate between different (unconnected) economies, I think that would be too confusing.

Different categories: I think buildings would be harder to find then. The current partition is already known from the building menu. Furthermore, there are some buildings that do not fit in any category (warehouse, donkey farm) or in several ones (Atlantean weaving mill: spidercloth production (as a building material and for tools) and gold yarn production (for golden tabards, which are needed for training). Where would you put it?).

I don' know, if the port-tab is needed. At the moment it shows naturally only one building (the port). Maybe it is possible to put there all related seafaring-stuff (Ports and Shipyard).

See above. How about putting it to the big buildings (along wiith the headquarters)?

First row: Colored borders aren't my taste.

Mine neither. And they can be confused with the productivity.

Second row: Because raised pictures looks like a button ("oh, somthing clickable"), this wasn't a good idea. I bet that people do allways want to click on such buttons face-smile.png . Anyway i leave it here with the opposit style (Raised = one building build). If none is build, the image is only shown (without flatten style)

Clickable buttons - exactly my thought.
I do not know what is planned in this regard, but we still lack a place to display the building help from a general place (without having built a building). Maybe here?

Third row: Shows some buildings grayed out

I think that is too much information.

Fourth row: Only pictures are displayed, this seems the best to me.

I agree.

Some other thoughts:

• In the game, the productivity is rounded to 5%. This menu should show the average of all buildings of this type, but when there is only one building, the numbers should be the same.
  • What isthe maximum number of buildings of a category (including enhanced buildings)? Could the window be so large that they all fit without scrolling?
  • What do we do with military sites of other tribes? They are currently appended at the end of the list.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 17:08

I don' know, if the port-tab is needed. At the moment it shows naturally only one building (the port). Maybe it is possible to put there all related seafaring-stuff (Ports and Shipyard).

See above. How about putting it to the big buildings (along wiith the headquarters)?

I'd say just leave it in the separate port tab - this way it will be organized exactly as the "build a building" window, which was the whole point.

First row: Colored borders aren't my taste.

Mine neither. And they can be confused with the productivity.

How about having a discrete border around a whole entry, to more easily associate the stats and buttons with the picture?

Otherwise, +1 for the fourth row.

• What isthe maximum number of buildings of a category (including enhanced buildings)? Could the window be so large that they all fit without scrolling?

I'd say that this question will resolve itself during implementation & testing.

• What do we do with military sites of other tribes? They are currently appended at the end of the list.

Sounds like a plan.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 17:20

I'd say just leave it in the separate port tab - this way it will be organized exactly as the "build a building" window, which was the whole point.

In the building statistics window, you also have to list enhanced, non-buildable buildings (e.g. inn). So not "exactly".

How about having a discrete border around a whole entry, to more easily associate the stats and buttons with the picture?

Sound like a good idea, but it should not become too cluttered. I forgot to mention in my previous post: It is not entirely clear which jump-to-building buttons belong to which building. Borders or a wider gap could solve this issue.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 19:41

The more lines/borders are displayed, as more it becomes cluttered ...

Statistic separators

In first row it looks like a plate for each building. Because its a darker background the contrast is much higher. Looks it allways like a button? I don't think so. The last one (mill) is flattend just for you to see how it looks like.

Another possibility is to make a horizontal rule between the rows. This is shown below the first row.

I believe, that no special border/marking is needed to associate the values and buttons to the building.

To place more buildings on this window, we could omit the prev/next buttons for each building and put them on the bottom of the window. In this case you have to mark a building and click then on prev/next. But this would not be that beahvior i wanted... But if a Button in the Building-window exists, which points directly to the corresponding building in this window, i could live with such a solution.

Another way would be, to make real buttons from the build-icons and a click would step forward to the next building. Disadvantage in this case is, that you could only get forward, not to the previous building.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-28, 22:32

kaputtnik wrote: Another way would be, to make real buttons from the build-icons and a click would step forward to the next building. Disadvantage in this case is, that you could only get forward, not to the previous building.

It is possible. Use Shift/ Alt button like in the Editor! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote