Latest Posts

Topic: What's the difference between the AI types

PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2014-04-13, 19:05

What's the difference between the AI types? Will the defensive Ai attack only when it is much stronger than its opponent or not at all? Will the agressive Ai attack even when the enemy its is stronger than the AI player?

Philipp

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2014-04-13, 19:08

Also, which AI tends to be strongest vs. other players and otehr AIs?

hilipp

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2014-04-13, 19:42

And why is the aggressive AI the default?

Philipp

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-04-13, 20:47

Just the opinion of a normal player, therefore no guarantee: The aggressive AI attacks more often than the other ones. I have seen it attack me even when it was hopelessly outnumbered.

I think the aggressive AI the the "strongest" (though they are all quite easy to beat in most cases), this is why I only play against that one (well, if the others were stronger, I would not know it :)). Since all three AIs are weak, I think we can set the strongest one as default because it is still the most challenging (or maybe because we just needed some order). Making the AI fight against each other to find out which one is the strongest is difficult because there are many other factors (tribes, map, randomness whether a soldier can evade).

Note that I do not know the code and therefore cannot tell any details. I do not know where the AIs behave differently apart from whether they attack or not.
Attacking can be good (getting land from the enemy) or bad (loosing soldiers) or both at the same time (more land, but worse defended), so one cannot simply say which strategy is better.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-04-14, 12:17

I think that all the AI are the same power (of Artificial Intelligence). The difference is only between the frequency of attacks. For me the "normal" is the strongest one, because it attacks some time after reaching the enemy, so it has enough time to prepare the battle. The aggressive attacks too soon, and its attack is weak in most of cases.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2014-04-16, 15:45

einstein13 wrote:

I think that all the AI are the same power (of Artificial Intelligence). The difference is only between the frequency of attacks. For me the "normal" is the strongest one, because it attacks some time after reaching the enemy, so it has enough time to prepare the battle. The aggressive attacks too soon, and its attack is weak in most of cases.

Yeah, seems so. The agressive AI seems to just throw everything it has at me. Even if it keeps loosing, it will keep sending a small group of untrained soldiers. The normal AI seems overly cautious: It seems to always assume that enemy buildings are fully manned, so a fortress with just one soldier inside will not get attacked unless the AI has lots of own soldiers for the attack. The normal AI does well at well-defended borders (better than the agressive one IMO), but once it makes a breakthrough through the front line, it progresses too slow.

Philipp

Top Quote