Latest Posts

Topic: Hey, do you have Widelands screenshots?

hjd

Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-02-07, 20:31

I was browsing the screenshot section a while back and noticed the most recent screenshots are from build 16. And there's only a few of them. So do you have any Widelands screenshots? Funny, exciting, highlighting new features, displaying unique parts of the game, or generally good-looking images?

Because it would be really cool to add them to our screenshots page in order to show how great this game is as well as demonstrate the recent development. It would also be nice to have some more recent images to point newer players to (or when trying to recruit players face-wink.png ). They might also come in handy as promo material once we release a new version at some point.

I have to admit though, I am not sure how the screenshot page is handled, so I cannot tell you to send in your screenshots right away. However, please start collecting good screenshots. It's not even hard, you simply press 'F11' while playing and it will automatically store it in ~/.widelands/screenshots/ (or corresponding widelands folder on your favorite platform).

I guess some details need to be sorted out first, though. As I mentioned above, I don't know how the screenshot page works, but someone will hopefully comment on that below. There will likely be some filtering done, so no guarantees that every screenshot which is submitted (or how we end up solving it) will be posted. After all it is better to have a few, good images highlighting different parts than many pictures covering more or less the same. Thirdly, we might want to use some friendly license to ensure we can actually use and distribute the images. One of the Creative Commons licenses might be suitable. Though for simplicity, we probably want to use the same license as for graphical content in the game (but I am not sure if this is simply GPL2 like the code or something else).

PS. I noticed Debian/Ubuntu Games Team will be holding a screenshot party to get more screenshots for games packaged in Debian and Ubuntu. Widelands' example screenshot is a bit old, so we might want to replace it with one or two newer. If you want to contribute to Debian/Ubuntu, feel free to join the screenshot party and add screenshots for other games as well.

Ships!

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-07, 21:04

hjd wrote: I was browsing the screenshot section a while back and noticed the most recent screenshots are from build 16. And there's only a few of them. So do you have any Widelands screenshots? Funny, exciting, highlighting new features, displaying unique parts of the game, or generally good-looking images?

Very good idea! face-smile.png

I have to admit though, I am not sure how the screenshot page is handled.

At the moment only moderators can upload images to the screenshots section. In fact I made and uploaded all screenshots in that section and it seems I should have take more time to update it. That to say I again have to say, that it sounds like a good idea, to collect nice screenshots from the community and push the best up in the screenshots section.

but I am not sure if this is simply GPL2 like the code or something else.

All game data including graphics and music are licensed under GPL2 - that's as well one big reason, why we take care to save all sources for the graphics and music (if any exist and it is not pixelart or the like). I am not 100% sure, but Wikipedia seems to handle it that way, that screenshots made from a game that is completely GPL are derivatives of the original sources and therefore have to be GPL2 licensed.

Top Quote