Latest Posts

Topic: Polite/Impolite form (German "Du" and "Sie")

wl-zocker

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-01-09, 17:22

I've downloaded bzr 6178 and I've noticed that some translations of the tips (the new-translated ones, I think) adress the player in the polite form "Sie", while all the older translations have the informal "Du". In the instructions in the campaigns, it is also "Du". I don't know how it is in other languages, but it should be uniform.

I think the informal "Du" should be used because

• less changes have to be made

• the distance player - game (and so player - development team) is smaller

What do you think about it?

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-01-09, 23:13

Yes absolutely right. There were quite some short discussion - short because we always agreed to use "Du" as it fits the style of the game better and let's the player feel more relaxed when reading it that way. Normally this should have been written down as rule somewhere, but we did not until now - maybe* because we always agreed on "Du" and thus it seemed to obvious for us as that we would need a rule ...

Top Quote
LAZA
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-10-05, 14:26

So please use the 'old' form "Du" and not "du" - i tried to make it consistent. If i'm not right in this case, please correct somebody me.

* Dell X58 *
Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz
M391B5673FH0-CH9 - 12 GB @ 1.33 GHz
R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC
SP900 64 GB SSD = root; ST3000VX000-1ES1 = home; 2x WD2003FYPS-2 = pub
BDR-208D
-
* Manjaro Testing Xfce *

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-10-05, 14:34

I think the capitalized "Du" may only be used if substantivized and in letters (optional). Normally (as we do it in our game IMHO), lowercased "du" is correct. See also http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/du

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-10-05, 15:21

I think as regular Form we may consider simple Forms which allow a simple Speech as we are about Distribution of Information and don't about matching any formal Aspects like don't give left Hand to greet but may take any we want. Inside Game as virtual Scope of Story me may consider to invent a Mechanism to change Form matching to virtual Aspects like is it a King or just his Fool resp related States. While mighty King gets hailed same Player inside GameHelp gets addressed regular with du. The polite Form is also called as Formal. I don't see formal Isues we have to address like King Lui could play WL and we have that to factor in. I understand that Literal Men consider their own Business as Kind of Art and pay Attention to Things I consider to be irrelevant. In that Sense take either 'Sie' or 'Du' as Regular as you like but take one of as Regular. BTW I don't know what Form is old (resp how old, never known that it exist) or new but learned that 'Du' gets used in personal Letters to address (advocate?) Reader in Text but use the old Form due to it appears me to be better readable and Term 'Du' relates to Object which have large Importance inside Scope of Reader. EG bla bla this and that then YOU should .. -snip- Use Term to address Reader is more important as Reader knows it addresses him directly like appell to do anything special. That's my Point but your wrote Translation. face-wink.png

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote