Latest Posts

Topic: Content and looks of the new "cheap in-game help"

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-14, 14:36

Glad you let me have a go at this!
If it shows that my idea is bad/undoable for one reason or another, I'm prepared to do my best with "just plain structured info"; promised!
Here is one thing, that is not quite what I wanted to express:

1) Astuur wants to be wordy in the help. This is to avoid being unclear and to give players as exact information as possible. He acknowledges a quick tabular view on data can/will be useful but feels that writing this data again (redunantly) in text form will benefit some players.

I don't really "want to write this data again (redundantly) in text form" - In fact, if we could reference the same source in the "wordy" part, as we would use in the "terse" part, I'd be happy to do so and have the facts auto-update. I may want to have some of the "terse" information again (could even be an exact copy sometimes) as an "intro" for some deeper explanation. This is to save the user from tabbing back and forth. But for the most part, I hope to find additional info, that is better presented in words, but would disturb the "at a glance" concept on the terse side.

The Wesnoth example is inspiring in some ways, but there are quite a few differences.
Size: The rich text window that SirVer has given me to play with, is considerably smaller, and I am not sure if we should dedicate so much display size (874x619!) to the ingame help - just lately we changed the stock window from columns to rows in order to keep supporting 640x480 (which btw. is a preferrable orientation anyway). With a size like that you can even accomodate larger text without sacrificing the overview in the layout.
Graphics: related to size, of course, but not only. We may create pictures of weapons in a similar quality, given comparable size, but I certainly cannot come up with a portrait like that of the elven warrior, no matter what size you give me. I'm just not a painter in the true sense of the word!
Language: Let's face it, creating text that transport moods and ambiance, create an atmosphere by themselves, takes an author. I'm not. I'm not even sure I could do it in German, much less in English. Not even an average native speaker will be able to do this, and we dilettantes want to succeed? That's being bold! Let's hope we get some decent help from our players after I have published my pathetic attempt! face-smile.png

All the same, I'll keep on trudging slowly. I'll stick to the wordprocessor files shown as .pdf for the moment, and do .. hmm.. the metalworks/toolsmithy help for each of the tribes?
Would that be okay?

Edited: 2011-11-14, 14:37

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-17, 18:53

Have been working on the barbarian metal workshop.
Unfortunately that is all I have managed to do so far, the other tribe's equivalents will follow hereafter.
I am posting the sample here, to give you a better impression of what I have in mind.
As always, any input from y'all folks is welcome face-smile.png

The .pdf is here for download

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-20, 08:54

In the process of tackling the help, I have re-discovered a feature that Erik Sigra had implemented in late March 2009.
It is the parameter "--write_HTML=yes". Basically it will write (or update) the data from the parsed conf-files to one
"index_.xhtml" file in each directory. So, to get everything parsed, a commandline like
"widelands --editor --writeHTML=yes_" is fine.
This feature is little known, or maybe just little used. I wonder why we don't inlcude these files in the daily builds.
They certainly need some looking after, since new directories exist now within the /tribes/[each_tribe] directories,
and there are also some other loose ends, like the reference to a widelands/doc directory, that AFAIK has never officially existed.
Once these files have been created, you can view them with a web browser. They are hyperlinked.
With a little extra work, like creating a common starting page etc. this could be useful for many players already "as is".
This isn't strictly "in-game" od course, but maybe it could in fact be a useful starting point for the "terse" side

of the cheap help system we are talking about here.
It's a bit too terse, I think, but nonetheless helpful; and it auto-updates.
To show you what is covered by these files, I've prepared a html file here that should
work, when placed into the "widelands" directory (for Windows users).

Edited: 2011-11-20, 09:34

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-21, 10:15

This help system has a quite hackish feel to me and it disrupts the code in some ways with mixing representation and logic. It will eventually be removed, but we do not have a proper alternative for it. I hope the ingame help will provide this. Note that we also have http://wl.widelands.org/help/empire/buildings/ and analogous for the other tribes (replace buildings via wares or workers and the empire through the other tribe names).

It is not as complete as the XHTML files but this help could easily be extended (a long hanging fruit for any python programmer out there).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-23, 11:54

Next one is ready: The Atlantean Toolsmithy.
here

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-23, 18:15

and the final Imperial Toolsmithy. here

Except for the "Lore Section" that gives me a hard time anyhow, they don't differ much. How should they? Their functionality is not much different either.

In a way the empire toolsmithy is the latest version that containes all I want to include in the help. I have not updated the older ones. So you may want to start with this, and then scan throught he older version of the other tribes, concentrating on the remarks.

These buildings were probably the most "space consuming" ones, and I doubt they can be done without a scrollbar on the "terse" side even. However not wanting one, is just a preference of mine, that needs not come true in every case.

If you feel something is terribly missing here, or totally flawed, tell me so. Otherwise I'll wait for Sirver's comments on the achievability of something like this with the rich text box and what else we have.

Next, I want to try a mine, or maybe a trainingscamp... we'll see.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-11-23, 22:17

I had a look into your suggestions and tried to script it in Lua (never scripted before, let alone in Lua…) and even the lumberjack window of the Barbarians needs a scrollbar.

Well… All right… some pictures could be smaller (don’t know, how to do… should learn Lua…), and somehow it sure is possible to write more in tables. The general section text is the one, SirVer offered, so it definitely could be shortened. But all in all I think it’s too much to get into a window with the actual size. Even with that small building. And that was only the „terse“ side, as you call it.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-24, 05:12

I had never thought that the window that Sirver had opened up initially, is an actual suggestion for the final size, as far as dimensioning goes. I have taken that as an example only.
On the other hand the Wesnoth help seems a bit too large.
Seen from the player's perspective, I don't think the help system is something that you would leave open when playing. Certainly not the terse part.
Instead, you would open it, look up something and close it again.
The "verbose" part is something that a player may want to read let's say while he waits for the results of some geologists.
But there is another weak spot in the planning of this help. HJD has denoted it already where is became most obvious: A lot of information in the help system is of the kind that you'd want to know before you build a particular house in a particular place. However you can use the help only after you've built it.
While I still think that these help files should be accessible from an existing house, I now tend to think it may be nice to be able to invoke them additionally from the main menu.
Starting up with the "?" button that currently invokes the wares help, we could offer to go to the "wares lexicon" or the "house lexicon" alternativly.
No idea how this would look from a programers viewpoint.
Sirver will comment on this thread next weekend. We'll know more then.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-11-24, 08:59

Using the existing wares help window could be a good idea. The size seems more appropriate. face-wink.png

In this case I would like to see that as the „great ingame help“; but to have a small window with the most important information about a special building (yes, in addition to the great help), would be great, too, because I don’t want to open a big window just to see what the worker produces (just for example). The greatest problem in this case would be to decide, which informations should be offered at a glance and which are more appropriate in the big help.

But I’ll wait for SirVer’s comment and try to learn some Lua in the mean time. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-12-01, 18:49

Next sample: The Barbarian Coal Mine

Top Quote