Latest Posts

Topic: Content and looks of the new "cheap in-game help"

Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-05, 20:54

Hmm… Don’t you think these posts are a bit offtopic? I would expect them as new topics in "game suggestions". There the chance is higher that a discussion will start. face-wink.png

But back to the thread topic. I have some questions that should be discussed regarding the formatting.

First of all: I have the feeling I shouldn’t have told you that the font can be varied in so many ways. face-wink.png It’s unfortunatly not as easy as for example HTML or RST and text with different attributes has to be split up. I wouldn’t point that out if it wasn’t text that has to be translated…

That brings me to the next point. I have told you that I tore some phrases apart (for example the experience levels of the miners: _"Miner" .. _" to " .. _"Chief Miner" .. " (19 " .. _"EP" .. ")") The question is: Shall I continue in this way or shall I give the translators more work but in return whole phrases?

How much consistency is wanted between different buildings? I mean, how great the differences in informations shall be. For example do we want to tell about a conquer range in nonmilitary buildings? Or a working range in buildings that have non? Or do we want to tell that the building is basic? Or that it can’t be upgraded? (The last one is the most interesting fact IMO.)

Shall "n/a" be a translatable term?

Do we need a headline with the building’s name when it already is written in the window bar?

Maybe I ask some more questions in the future. These are just the ones that come into my mind right now.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 07:22

You're right about the "off topic". I have misused this thread a bit as a "Memo" for thoughts that came while doing the help text, but they really should be somewhere else. Crosspost?

Venatrix, about font attributes and formatting option to use, please decide that for yourself and feel free to modify any layout properties as seems best to you. I have no clear notion about the consequences for translation - so it's all just a suggestion, and the final decision is up to you.

All of this, plus the "in depth" stuff will have to be reviewed later, hopefully with a more complete set of formatting option. The way I understood Sirver, we are now doing a sort of skeleton to include an in-game help feature , albeit not for all buildings, into build 17. We want to raise more feedback on this to decide about the details. In the course of this, there will certainly be discussions about the content, too.

The question is: Shall I continue in this way or shall I give the translators more work but in return whole phrases?

In my experience, whole phrases (and in their proper context, too) are the only unities that can be translated. Any translation worth doing, (and reading!) will have consider the context. That is just how genuine language works. As soon as you start writing a prose text, you have to rephrase things on a phrase level - sometimes even paragraph level. An automated translation engine giving acceptable results would be a project of its own, probably supassing WL in its complexity.
It is different of course with things like tables, lists, ToC and so on. for these things you can do a word by word translation and get away with it. So, my answer would be, that for the terse, table-like enumerations on the "at a glance" side, we could mostly go "word by word", but will already need a few inserted sentences translated as a whole.

As for carrying similar criteria, even when they don't make sense (n/a), I remember an argument, that knowing where a particular information would have to be within the help window, can help the users to quickly find their way in a inevitably scrollable window. So, yes, I think on the "at a glance" side at least, we should strive for a uniform set of such criteria to allow for a better orientation. I hope I have found all of those already, and we won't need additional ones for buildings to come (seafaring?). But having them all inside each help text in a uniform sequence does not mean, that there cannot be additional info for each building, inserted in between them.

EDIT: If you feel that the headline is unnecessary, just skip it. I'd rather leave it in while doing the text, because I don't have a window title then face-smile.png

What's your opinion on these matters?

Edited: 2012-03-06, 07:34

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 12:44

@Venatrix: I think that keeping "pieces" of text translatable separately can help a lot the translation process; lot of terms will be already translated. Just to explain, I've used your help.lua files on my italian version of Widelands and lot of terms (miners, buildings, etc) appeared in Italian. This will speed up the translation process enormously-

On the other side, if what Sirver said here is not obsolete, we have to remember that maybe in future we could keep the lore part for the help but use some auto-generated part for the summaries (workers, chain of wares, etc...)

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 13:16

alocritani wrote:

@Venatrix: I think that keeping "pieces" of text translatable separately can help a lot the translation process; lot of terms will be already translated. Just to explain, I've used your help.lua files on my italian version of Widelands and lot of terms (miners, buildings, etc) appeared in Italian.

Yes, my Widelands is German. That’s how I can see, I have written the words correctly. face-wink.png

This will speed up the translation process enormously-

I hope so, too.

On the other side, if what Sirver said here is not obsolete, we have to remember that maybe in future we could keep the lore part for the help but use some auto-generated part for the summaries (workers, chain of wares, etc...)

We will see what the future brings. face-smile.png

Edited: 2012-03-06, 13:17

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 15:06

Hm... I wonder whether I am ignoring some points of interest for you both.
Is there anything you'd want me to do in a different fashion, that would make you task easier?
I am very open for your input and criticism.

The Lore section is a tough one for a translation.
I have a feeling that we may end up leaving it up to the translators to find something suitable.
It will most like not be a "translation" but rather an adaptation.
A "different language" in that sense is not just a different language, it's a different cultural context.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 08:07

I don’t worry about the lore section. I’m sure the translators can handle this. face-smile.png

But I see a problem in some parts with the splitting that I want to point out.

For example the Incoming of War Mill and Axefactory: I splitted it into "Provided from the " and the name of the corresponding building. That may be fine in English, but at least in German (and I suppose other languages, too) the buildings have different genders with different articles that have to be used. So the example can be translated with "Hergestellt von der " (feminine) or "Hergestellt vom " (masculine and neuter). Either I split it in another way (I was thinking about rephrasing this part anyway) or don’t split it at all. I think I go the first way.

Astuur wrote:

Is there anything you'd want me to do in a different fashion, that would make you task easier?

Yes, one thing: Can you please write in the ascii-files the number of materials needed and just ones the path to the corresponding picture? Then I don’t have to count them. face-wink.png Oh, and there is no need to write the arrow-right.png in between, the arrows are set by the function.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 13:06

Venatrix wrote:

Yes, one thing: Can you please write in the ascii-files the number of materials needed and just ones the path to the corresponding picture? Then I don’t have to count them. face-wink.png Oh, and there is no need to write the arrow-right.png in between, the arrows are set by the function.

Will do.

As for the first part of your posting, I don't think there is much that can be done about such differences in languages. It's not only the grammatical genus. There is word order, casus, participles and a lot more - and I don't even dare to think about idiomatic expressions. And what do you do with a language like French, where the possesive pronown depends on the objects grammatical genus, not the subjects'?
I fear, if you're determined to adjust the writing to an easy translation, you may end up with an artificial pseudo-language with a lot of colons and left out articles.
I do agree that the "at a glance" part is not about winning a beauty contest, but I also did want it to be more than an in-game version of the xhtml files.
All in all, I'd rather see some phrases left to translate as such, than synthesizing them from a word by word database.
But don't let my pessimistic assessment bother you. As I said earlier, I haven't really looked into the translations offered. My experience with similar attempts is several years old.

Any idea when I can look at the first results in Tino's Windows packages?

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 14:06

You can always download the files manually from the branch and put them in. There’s no need to compile it with them.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 06:38

Question: While we have raw stone declared as construction material and I have done that for wood, too, shall every material that’s needed in any construcion site be declared as such? Or just if construction is the main use? Or not at all?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 07:05

I think only the AI makes use of this.
So Peter may be the best person to ask.

I have seen AI driven Barbarians build Ferneries like crazy
in some games; so it may be a non-trivial decision.

Top Quote