Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Fortress/Citadel Models

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 22:09

Here are a couple of the other models (I'm gathering quite a collection) rendered with oversampling. Please pay no attention to the roofs or wells or stone wall in the tallfortress. I plan to use the same roof, well and wall as in the citadel, unless the majority prefers otherwise. face-wink.png

fortress: fort2_osa11 tallfortress: tallfort_osa11 and tallfortress3: tallfort3_osa11

Reactions?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 23:33

Maybe this citadel strikes your fancy?

citadel5 citadel5

Goodnight. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Personal_Joke

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-09-01, 02:12

I must say they're looking a lot better than the current versions :)!

I think the darker colours seem to fit the barbarians better, especially since they use BLACKwood so i prefer the tallfortress 3 over the other tallfortresses.

Citadel 5 looks like a keeper to me!

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-01, 18:37

I've loaded the new models into the game and had a closer look at 640x480 on 24".
Chuck, they are more then a bit too blurry now compared with the other buildings.
The style is great, the model is very fine, but if I had to choose the grainy one would come on top of the new blurry models as far as the texture go - no matter whether Open GL is on or not.

Is there a way to adjust the oversampling? I hope so.
If all else fails, you may want to try to average your wall and roof texture before using them in the model, and turn oversampling back off.

I have manually blurred the grainy model (re-sharpening the new one did not work), and show it here

I have probably overdone some parts and done too little to others, but for the main part is looks okay in the game. I know this manual postprocession does not help you. It's just to give you an idea about the crispness.
I'm not sure what you intended underneath the drawbridge - water? Nice idea of course, but that will be very hard to do! Currently it looks like a greenish shadow and blends strangely into the landscape.

Edited: 2011-09-01, 18:41

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-01, 19:22

Astuur wrote: I've loaded the new models into the game and had a closer look at 640x480 on 24". Chuck, they are more then a bit too blurry now compared with the other buildings.

Oh dear... face-tongue.png

The style is great, the model is very fine, but if I had to choose the grainy one would come on top of the new blurry models as far as the texture go - no matter whether Open GL is on or not. Is there a way to adjust the oversampling? I hope so.

Yes, there is, but Blender allows a minimum of 5 samples, offering presets of 5, 8, 11 and 16 samples.
Here is the result: citadel5_120_osa05 compared to : citadel5 (the first citadel5 image with 11 samples). The only other difference between these images of the model is the material I used on the drawbridge.
However, I believe I have identified the cause of the problem with these renders. For speed of delivery and discussion, I have been taking some shortcuts with these examples, rendering the 100x100 images directly from Blender. Blender is notorious for coming up short with its rendering. Many artists will rely on other rendering tools like Yafaray for better results. So after shooting myself in the foot, I will redo these with my standard method of rendering a 400x400 no oversampling image and then resizing it with the "Multiple Image Resizer.net" utility. We'll see how that turns out.

If all else fails, you may want to try to average your wall and roof texture before using them in the model, and turn oversampling back off. I have manually blurred the grainy model (re-sharpening the new one did not work), and show it here

I have probably overdone some parts and done too little to others, but for the main part is looks okay in the game. I know this manual postprocession does not help you. It's just to give you an idea about the crispness.

I've not had these problems with my usual methods of operation. We'll see if they get ironed out with my standard MO before undertaking any major surgery.

I'm not sure what you intended underneath the drawbridge - water? Nice idea of course, but that will be very hard to do! Currently it looks like a greenish shadow and blends strangely into the landscape.

To give the drawbridge a reason for its existence, I'm attempting to convey a 3D moat with a 2D plane. If it looks that bad (and I didn't think it did), I will remove it or remodel it as an actual 3D depression.

Stay tuned. The search continues...

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-01, 20:03

And the results are in:
with OSA-11 samples: citadel5 with OSA-5 samples: citadel5-5
no OSA via MIR.net: citadel-MIR

Can you see a difference? face-smile.png Even without my eyeglasses I can. Haste, in this case, did make waste (of my time anyway).

I'll work on the moat now. (After all this struggling, I FEEL like a ditch digger.) face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-02, 04:01

I'm beginning to really dig moats! (Pun intended!!!) face-smile.png
What do you think of this one? citadel6: citadel6

The moat is 3D and even sports some submerged vegetation. It should make for a really neat build sequence, (if I ever get that far.) face-grin.png

I'm considering making the "moat liner" semi-transparent to adapt to the terrain on which it is built. For now, though, it is fully opaque.

If you want to try it in a game, use a hot spot around 105 96.

Comments please.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-02, 08:03

Loaded and tested (setup like above).

WOW!

You've outperformed yourself, man..... ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

The crispness is ideal, nothing to change there, -- what a building! I love it!
The ditch really is a ditch now -- looks lightyears better that the first.
Maybe the stones on the outer rim could match the building a bit closer (darker, rougher)?
One small problem remains: the citadel seems to be floating upon the water.
That is because you see no underwater structure of the building at all.
You could add some submerged rock foundations, maybe, or make the water less transparent (i.e. more reflective)
Puh... the building sequence will be quite some challenge!

What else: I have used 105/96 hotspot; seems usable, but is very close to the lumberjack on the left.

I would place the flags at the drawbridge somewhere, where they cover less of the yard. Maybe on a protruding stone from the outer wall, or even the inner building.
Or maybe with a sort of holder coming out at an 45° angle before going vertical again?

I cannot think of anything else you could possibly improve!

PS: the scale is in sharp contrast to the trainingscamp, but if anything, the camp is to blame. The citadel has much more natural scale relation!

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-09-02, 08:35

@astuur: that camp will anyway be remodeled, its still on the list of bug 677337 face-wink.png

i think: 2 thumbs up, that citadel is perfect face-grin.png gotta catch up with my warehouse now (havn't got build sequence either ^^`)

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-02, 11:56

I agree fully! What a wonderful piece of work. The amount of details is incredible. The building is perfect!

Top Quote