Latest Posts

Topic: Attempting new quarry stones for Greenland

death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-25, 12:03

The thumbs.db doesn not bother other OS-es, but it does bother version control face-wink.png Do you have gimp/psd files to go with the winterland stones? I remember what trouble I had with the shadow. Stage rendered shadow for these stones is tiny...Like for buildings. There has always been a small sun height discrepancy between raster terrain objects and buildings...

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-25, 17:23

Yes, I have seen this problem with the shadows.
There is almost only a shadow inside the picture itsself, and not "behind." SirVer wanted a shadow that would match the trees' shadows, so that is why I made it along these samples. No, sorry, it's done with other proprietary software and doesn't convert to any of those formats.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 15:09

First, let me agree with SirVer inasmuch as Astuur's new stone images "rock" (including the pun). face-wink.png

Regarding shadows, I would prefer the shadow angles for all immovables to approximate those of the buildings (i.e. shorter from a higher sun as used in our standard Blender rendering stage). The trees are slated to be revisited in order to establish 3D models of them (like the effort for the Barbarian buildings.) At that time, the tree shadows will be adjusted to match the angles of the rest. I realize there will be some visual discrepancy with the trees in the interim, but I would prefer to change the stones only once (for their implementation).
To minimize the "bunny effect", perhaps a redistribution of the coloring that hints at eyes and nose would be sufficient to circumvent the need to change the profile.

I welcome your comments, especially if I have evidently missed something and I beg your pardon for the delay in my response. Thanks.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 16:13

Hmm... Chuck.... the only thing that is good in those stones is the texture.
It derived from a real sample.
Now following your own logic, would it not be best if you could come up with some shapes as blender files? (I still can't face-sad.png )
I could then try (no idea, if I will succeed) to add the texture, so that we end up with 3d models.
Any good?
To make that clear: The fact that I can't find my way in blender doesn't mean that I don't see its advantages for most models.
Some, however, are a waste of time to do in 3d IMO, like icons for the GUI and of course terrain tiles.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-03, 18:27

I have put quarry stones on my personal ToDo list. It may be a good exercise to dust off my Blender skills (such as they are). face-smile.png
I'll post here when I have something to play with.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 00:03

Astuur's quarry stones have been pushed to the development trunk in rev #5931

Good job!! (Now I can take it off my ToDo list.) face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 15:01

I just observed that we haven't scaled down the boulders (sstones) to ~80%. I'll tackle that chore. Looks like it's going back on my ToDo list. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 19:12

It also occurs to me that the greenland sstones are used for a stone ring in the first barbarian campaign. Has anyone checked how the new ones look there?

Edited: 2011-08-10, 19:27

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 19:27

They look good to me! (I still need to resize 'em, at least the tall one lower left.)

stonering

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 21:22

The standing stones (boulders) for all worlds have been reduced to 80% original size and pushed to the development trunk in rev #5935.

I see little people.

Top Quote