Latest Posts

Topic: Attempting new quarry stones for Greenland

Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-23, 12:59

Exactly^^ Would you mind cutting those 'ears' off a bit?

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-23, 16:44

Gannaf wrote: Exactly^^ Would you mind cutting those 'ears' off a bit?

That would make a bunny with shorter ears, I guess, and not really solve the problem.
The "ears stone" is taken away from the 4th step to the 3rd - so all 6,5,4 models would need modification and the sequence would appear less logical.
plus... the alpha channel for the shadow would also have to be modified.
I have done the Greenland 4-6), the Blackland (4-6) and the winterland (4-6) along these models and I'm working on a Desert version.
You see it's not that easy.
Let's wait what Chuck has to say and whether these stone ever make it into the game. (They're not 3D, remember)
If that is the case, and more people are "complaining" about the bunny,(some may even like it, who knows), I will reconsider.
At the moment I am quite fed up with this and want to see it finished - so yes, I would mind. face-smile.png at least for now...

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-24, 12:15

In general, I like the stones texture but not the shape. They are a fair bit better than the old ones but the round top makes them look all obviously the same... Also, if you were to do this in a 3D model, changing them would be very very cheap. Perhaps you might want to give it a try?

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-24, 17:20

You are very right, of course. I know the advantages of 3D programs, and I wished I could use them
- but so far it's still a whole new world for me, and I am only stumbling around there - half blindly.
So -- for the near future, I'm afraid, I'll stick to 2d. And there are a few things in WL (like the Desert textures)
where 3d makes no sense.

As for the stones, you must take into account that they are quarried. Stones6 becomes stones5 after the first stonemason's visit,
stones5 bcomes stones4 after the next, and so on.
So naturally they ressemble each other -- in truth they are one model, where a piece is taken off after each stonemason's workcycle.
I cannot see any way to have both ... a logical sequence of quarrying, and a diversity of stone pile models ---- unless of course,
you'd want to introduce some additional stone piles that get their own quarrying sequence.

I have meanwhile finished the work on those stones btw.
There are now 6 stages for 4 worlds.
The whiteish blackland stones were my models, and I have left them unchanged, except for the shadow, that I have added to them.
I am still very unhappy about the animals behaviour.
They climb onto my stones and dig underneath them, just as they like.
Unless somebody offers me some help with the hotspot placement, (which I have asked for in a different thread) I cannot change this.

I have made an archive and offer the file and the conf files for download for those who wish to see them inside the game.
It is here
You must then decide about the fate of these pictures.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-24, 21:15

If you want to I can help you get acquainted to 3d world:)

Other than that, could you make the top of that arched spike bit rougher? if it wasn't as round and smooth It would look great I think.

Small technical note, your file contains Thumbs.db files... This is where Windows keeps its image thumbinails. They are completely useless on any non-windows system... unfortunately its probably easier for me to get rid of them if I should choose to use the images because windows makes them invisible and recreates them all the time.

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-24, 21:20

Hmm... Having looked through them, I liked the winterland variants a lot. The round spire is covered in snow face-smile.png

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-24, 21:38

Sample of the winterland variants in use. They look great. Do you mind if we use just these? I don't think each terrian should have stones that look the same. In fact, I think they should look very different, specially so for blacklands and desert.

Edited: 2011-05-24, 21:39

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-24, 21:46

Oh gods... I actually made those blackland stones in 2009 and totaly forgot about em face-confused.png So what I dont like about them is the bit I made myself =)

Edited: 2011-05-24, 21:49

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-24, 21:52

Would you care to try retexturing if I rendered you a different set of stones for desert and greenland and may be even for blackland?

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-25, 07:01

Now -that's cute face-smile.png
I have been asking (before I started this work) who made the winterland stones,
because they were so much better than those from the other worlds.
We got that solved now face-smile.png
I have hoped that maybe blender files could exist, that I could try to work with.
Especially creating a reasonable shadow would (probably) give better results in a 3d program.

Do I understand you correctly?
You want the different worlds to have different shapes of quarry stones, not just different textures?
Absolutely!. Greenland should have granite or basalt, and desert probably a sediment stone.
They would degrade giving different shapes.
Sure, I can try. Remains to be seen, whether I succeed.

I wonder why you want to remodel Greenland. I rate them among the better attempts.

I can kill the thumbs.db file from the archive.
Edit: Done!
I know they were Windows specific, but thought they would not disturb on OSs - no problem.

Edit: Sorry, forgot about that part, because for me it goes without mentioning:
Once and for all times:
Whatever the I publish here is free to use for all, selectively or completely, modyfied or not - no need to ask.
As for including into the distributions of WL, it is the Graphics elder's duty, I understand, to make choices about the applicability of what is offered. So -- do your work!
Of course, and quite independent from the above, I am always interested to learn the reasons for such decisions. face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-05-25, 11:28

Top Quote