Latest Posts

Topic: Re-modelling Barbarian Buildings

kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-02-19, 20:27

sry read that post on metal too late, well is pushed and ready, i dunno if that metal is even noticeable...

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-20, 08:43

Wow, the well looks really nice. It's sad, that we scale all those buildings and workers down to such a small scale. Perhaps we should release Widelands HD sometimes, once Widelands is stable enough :).

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-02-20, 12:54

double post my bad

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-20, 15:19

Nice job on the well. It has been merged into the game with main trunk rev#5847.

I see little people.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-02-20, 17:38

I like the new mines, particularly the animation is really awesome. Such a small change, but somehow it gives the game so much more life. Same goes for the well, really, though of course it's a bit strange that the worker just disappears when idle face-wink.png

One small annoyance with the mines though, after having actually played a while: I find it kind of hard to tell them apart. Perhaps there could be some additional distinguishing features, or just make the different colours of the iron vs. coal heaps more apparent. This is particularly important for the build icons - for actual playing, it would help a lot to make the difference between those mines more pronounced.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-21, 03:51

I don't know why ixprefect's post to this thread (#4389) doesn't show up, so here is a reprint. He shares some observations.

ixprefect wrote:

I like the new mines, particularly the animation is really awesome. Such a small change, but somehow it gives the game so much more life. Same goes for the well, really, though of course it's a bit strange that the worker just disappears when idle One small annoyance with the mines though, after having actually played a while: I find it kind of hard to tell them apart. Perhaps there could be some additional distinguishing features, or just make the different colours of the iron vs. coal heaps more apparent. This is particularly important for the build icons - for actual playing, it would help a lot to make the difference between those mines more pronounced.

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-21, 07:57

This thread was bugged as chuck mentioned; I am yet unsure how it could have happened, but it is fixed for the moment. Thanks for reporting chuck.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-21, 14:13

@Sirver
Thanks for debugging the thread "for the moment"! face-wink.png

ixprefect wrote:

One small annoyance with the mines though, after having actually played a while: I find it kind of hard to tell them apart. Perhaps there could be some additional distinguishing features, or just make the different colours of the iron vs. coal heaps more apparent. This is particularly important for the build icons - for actual playing, it would help a lot to make the difference between those mines more pronounced.

I agree. Perhaps we should regress to brighter, more stylized (and identifiable) shades for the ore colors at the mine sites. That would be the easiest fix I think.

Edit: The original materials can still be found in the "parts.blend" file in the media trunk and could be appended from there.

Edited: 2011-02-21, 14:16

I see little people.

Top Quote
aubergine

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-02-22, 19:33

What if the roof of the mines was the colour of the resource being mined? So instead of a grass roof for all the mines, have a black roof for coal mine, brown roof for iron mine and yellow roof for gold mine. The roof colour wouldn't be exact same colour as the resource, it would be more natural looking - eg. the iron mine roof would be made out of brown wood, the coal mine out of blackwood (or slate?) and the gold mine's roof would be made of thatched reed (sort of a straw colour though)...?

Coal mine - slate roof: http://www.csroofingproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Slate-Roofing-Tiles.jpg

Iron mine - wood roof: http://www.hometips.com/catimages/012610_wood_shingle_roof.jpg

Gold mine - thatched roof: http://www.thelapacompany.co.uk/images/lapa-designs4.jpg

The granite mine is sufficiently different to the other mines not to need any adjustments.

Edited: 2011-02-22, 19:36

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-22, 20:00

aubergine wrote: What if the roof of the mines was the colour of the resource being mined? So instead of a grass roof for all the mines, have a black roof for coal mine, brown roof for iron mine and yellow roof for gold mine. The roof colour wouldn't be exact same colour as the resource, it would be more natural looking - eg. the iron mine roof would be made out of brown wood, the coal mine out of blackwood (or slate?) and the gold mine's roof would be made of thatched reed (sort of a straw colour though)...?

Good concept, aubergine! face-smile.png That architectural change should certainly be noticeable. Perhaps more so than regressing the ore colors. Anyone wish to draft up some prototypes?

I see little people.

Top Quote