Latest Posts

Topic: production percentages and rates

PointLuck
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 19:31

Hi,

I did a search in this forum and did not find much about production rates of buildings and/or ratios of farm vs mill vs bakery and the like. From the posts I understand that the workers are essentially following a small lua-script and as such it is not straight foward to just extract a production rate. I'd even go as far as saying that since lua is turing complete, in some way the best approach might be to literally just simulate the worker for a while and measure the production rate instead of trying to reason about it (I know that argument doesnt quite hold up face-smile.png ). I think that could be automatized and then be part of the release process to fill in those numbers in the in-game help.

Anyway, on the other hand all buildings give an information overlay (shortcut S) that shows me some percentage of productivity. Where does that number then come from if we dont know the actual production rates?

/PointLuck

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 20:19

Hi Pointluck and welcome to the forums,

first for the easy answer the Productivity (shown with "S") is simply a percentage of succesful working time versus unsuccessful working or idling time over a specified period of time.
the production rates of buildings with workers not leaving the building can be easily determined from their lua scripts however this would only be valid if production is running at 100%. We are postponing constantly to parse this from the scripts and doing it manually is error prone if we decide to chenge the times due to balancing or other reasons.
Different thing is for buildings where the work is defined in the workers program which is the case for all workers leaving the building like lumberjacks or hunters. In these case their walking distance is the key to the achievable production rate and this can't be calulated easily with our triangle coordinate system and the relation of the position of the flag and the radius of the building.

I know this isn't waht you expected but it might help a bit regardless hopefully

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 20:19

Hello PointLuck and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

The production percentages indicated over the buildings by the S hotkey give an estimate of how much of its time the building has been spending on actual work in the recent time. The productivity rates in the encyclopedia have nothing to do with this. For some buildings these values can be calculated directly from the program and it's just that nobody got around to either doing this or writing an automated approach yet; but for buildings where the workers walk around, the time needed for a working cycle depends on how near or far the objects to work on are, so there are no exact numbers, only empirically determined averages.

Units are scripted in Lua files, but the actual working programs use a custom program syntax

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 20:29

Nordfriese wrote:

Hello PointLuck and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

The production percentages indicated over the buildings by the S hotkey give an estimate of how much of its time the building has been spending on actual work in the recent time. The productivity rates in the encyclopedia have nothing to do with this. For some buildings these values can be calculated directly from the program and it's just that nobody got around to either doing this or writing an automated approach yet; but for buildings where the workers walk around, the time needed for a working cycle depends on how near or far the objects to work on are, so there are no exact numbers, only empirically determined averages.

Units are scripted in Lua files, but the actual working programs use a custom program syntax

we managed again to provide a 100% identical crosspost, funny isn't it

Top Quote
PointLuck
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-07-09, 20:23

Ah interesting. Got it, thanks to both!

Top Quote