Latest Posts

Topic: Aquatic wildlife?

PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 13:35

While land-based wildlife is siumulated in deatils, the smae is not true for auqatic and avian life:

Fish are just an immobile resource. The only aquatic animal simulated in more detail is ducks.

I'd suggest to consider:

• Introduce a second type of aquatic herbivore (e.g. a swan).
  • Introduce an avian predator (that feed on smaller animals, such as rabits and ducks)
  • Replace the fish resource by fish animals (preferably at least 3 types including salmon (we already have bears, so salmon looks like a must) and a predatory fish, maybe a large squid)
  • Add an avian predator that feeds on fish, such as a heron

The main effects would be: - Fish can replenish if not overfished - Water looks more alive (fish jumping out of it, bird flying over it, something other than ducks swimming in it) - Fish can migrate, so in the long term, fish can replenish even long-distance - Fish are no longer a resource, so the tile at the border to water could contain other, mineable resources instead.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 14:16

-1 for the following reasons:

1. it would cost performance
  2. we do seriously lack graphicians
  3. avian animals would not look good in a 2D environment
  4. the change in the landbased animals does make enough problems already in terms of balancing the algorithm and the tribes

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 17:25

I would love to have more aquatic animals, but the problem is we'd need graphics for them. -1 for changing fish resources to animals because of the game mechanics changes implied. Birds would be nice but probably too much coding effort for the limited gain, and again we'd need graphics as well.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 21:08

I'm also against it

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote