Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Reworking the economic options window

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-07-16, 13:26

no I think it's quite logical. All "special" type buildings = buildings, that the user can not build him-/herself should be listed on an extra tab an in that case the should only appear in list, if the player owns one of these buildings.

I agree here. I also prefer a seperate tab for conquered foreign buildings.

The other way round, I find it quite usefull to always show all building types that are buildable, even if the player has not yet build one of these - simply because I often look into the list to see, which building I haven't built yet. If they were not shown in the list, I possibly would forget about one building, which can break the whole economy. Also agreed.

-I forgot the economy options window. Did you mean this window with target quantities window? (Because also in warehouses, one can adjust a quantity, at least in my version)

That's something different. You can just adjust there, whether a ware should prefareably be stored in this warehouse, if one is available and nowhere else needed, or whether storing of that ware in that warehouse should be stopped or even all stored wares of that tye should be outsourced to other warehouses. It does not change the target quantity. The target quantity window is for a global (per economy) setting.

As far as I see it, the only thing that remains to be specified is the target quantities window. I am at a lost how this can be visualized nicely. I suggest adding a suggestion to this blueprint (Kristin, could you do this?). I would also suggest to drop the temporary target quantities entirely. I doubt they are useful (or is someone using these?).

One more thing needs to be thought through: how to define the categories and the ordering of the wares inside their conf files? Are the categories hard coded into widelands or are they on a per tribe basis. As far as Kristin's suggestion goes, one could as well hard code them; we would then need a "category" and a "sorting_position" keyword inside all wares and workers conf files. Is there another/a better way?

Cheers, !SirVer

Edited: 2010-07-16, 13:27

Top Quote
Kristin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-07-16, 17:37

Listing all buildings or not:

In the action box (when you click on the build help) definitively all buildings must be listed. I use this box to see which building I forgot (there's always one face-smile.png ) The discussion about leaving out the not captured buildings concerns the menu statistics --> building statistics.

In my opinion, if there is already an extra tab in the building statistics (so: enough space) for foreign buildings, all (including the not (yet) captured) buildings should be listed.

Economy options:

Adjusting a target quantity for a ware is somehow the same as adjusting the "target quantity" (more, less, none) in a warehouse, just for the whole economy, isn't it? Or the other way round the warehouse adjustment is something like a local target quantity. The warehouse adjustment has influence on the transport and storing, while the economy options influences the productivity of different buildings. But both regulate a quantity of wares (either local or general). I see enough parallels too legitimate a similar design, but perhaps it seems confusing at the beginning.

Anyway, in my opinion, there's no big con against maintaining the present menu for the economy window, and just correct the order of the wares into a thematical sorting. So also the two options "permanent" and "temporary" persist. By the way, do you know what temporary means? (in sec/ min)

Greetings, Kristin

Top Quote
DJL

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-07-16, 18:27

@Nasenbaer I think you've said it exactly how I would like to see it

Top Quote
Kristin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-07-16, 22:50

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding: warehouse adjustment and economy options are two different things and should both persist, I think we all agree on this.

The second question is if we maintain the "temporary"option in the economy options. I don't use them, Sirver not either. Do you? If someone may tell me how to use them reasonably, I can perhaps enhance my playing face-smile.png

Sirver told me another aspect of the economy options menu, perhaps it was already said in this or another thread: The economy options menu has to become much smaller, because (esp. in low resolutions) it takes too much place. So leaving the present design and just reassort the order of the wares doesn't work.
My proposal is to design it similar to the warehouse menu, which is very compact. The number on the bottom of each icon remains (perhaps in another colour) and indicates the target quantity. Additionally, for each icon there are three buttons: up, down, reset.
So the economy options menu will be just a little bit bigger than the warehouse menu. You can see a mock-up here: http://www.widelands.org/~sirver/wl/blueprint_menus/hq_and_eco_compare.png

I resume the different things we discuss (which I will add to the blueprint as soon as we agreed):
-Economy options menu (sorting, illustration, +- temporary)
-Building statistics (+-show uncaptured foreign buildings, +-new tab for captured foreign buildings) -Implementing (Hard coded or on a per tribe basis)

Cheers, Kristin

Top Quote
DJL

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-07-16, 23:30

Kristin wrote: The second question is if we maintain the "temporary"option in the economy options. I don't use them, Sirver not either. Do you? If someone may tell me how to use them reasonably, I can perhaps enhance my playing

I have used the temporary option. When I know there is soon to be a sudden demand for some material e.g. coal which will not be long lasting. I have set the temporary value really high then let it slip back down to the permanent value.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-07-17, 08:45

Kristin wrote: In my opinion, if there is already an extra tab in the building statistics (so: enough space) for foreign buildings, all (including the not (yet) captured) buildings should be listed.

I see things different, as:

• You can play a game with just one or two different tribes (e.g. Barbarians and Empire, still the list would show the atlantean buildings although there is no way you can capture one of those (please keep on mind, that technical the engine handles these buildings as one of the tribe's (in this case barbarians) and not of the original tribe (in this case atlanteans))
  • I would prefare to list all special buildings there, including the different types of headquarters. So to avoid that the different types of headquarters are listed there (you can even just start with a warehouse,...), it's a good idea to hide all of those buildings you do not own.

Further I like the idea of having a nearly empty list of "special buildings" at the beginning, so I can more easily see what kind of buildings I conquered (if all possible buildings are shown, it will take some time to filter all "0" buildings out).

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-07-17, 10:22

DJL, do you have a proposition how the temporary quantity could be incorporated into the suggestion while

a) making the economy options window smaller
b) making the difference between permanent and temporary target quantities easier to grasp for beginners.

maybe the temporary could be packed into a new paradigm that is configured via an extra tab that could be named "remittance work" or something like that. One could queue there special 'orders' to produce so and so much of a special ware; this would internally translate to temporary target quantities but seems more intuitive to me.

What do others think?

!SirVer

Edited: 2010-07-17, 10:22

Top Quote
Kristin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-07-17, 10:39

Nasenbaer wrote:

You can play a game with just one or two different tribes (e.g. Barbarians and Empire, still the list would show the atlantean buildings although there is no way you can capture one of those

Oh, I didn't know that ALL buildings are shown. That's not logical, the buildings that are not in the game (=not possible to conquer) should not be shown.
I would like to show all possible-to-conquer-buildings, not only the ones already conquered, because the own buildings are shown in the same way (and we also have to filter the "0" buildings there). But it's only a slight preference. The most important for me in changing the menus is the sorting.

Sirver wrote:

maybe the temporary could be packed into a new paradigm that is configured via an extra tab that could be named "remittance work" or something like that.

It seems very complicated (to understand for players) to introduce a new tab for the temporary-option. In my opinion, temporary and permanent regulating should be shown together, if we maintain temporary (what seems preferable, if some players use it).

Cheers,
Kristin

Top Quote
DJL

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-07-19, 22:23

SirVer wrote: DJL, do you have a proposition how the temporary quantity could be incorporated into the suggestion while a) making the economy options window smaller b) making the difference between permanent and temporary target quantities easier to grasp for beginners.

What do others think? SirVer

One option could be to show both numbers with a slash and hold e.g. ctrl to set the temp. quantity. I'm not sure there is enough room for this though?

It seems very complicated (to understand for players) to introduce a new tab for the temporary-option.

While this is true I think we can safely say that a new player would not be using this option ;) The first time I opened the economy window I just closed it again - and I'd been playing widelands for some time by the time it appeared...

maybe the temporary could be packed into a new paradigm that is configured via an extra tab that could be named "remittance work" or something like that. One could queue there special 'orders' to produce so and so much of a special ware; this would internally translate to temporary target quantities but seems more intuitive to me.

This sounds like a great idea but I think it may be making things unnecessarily complex. Before you know it you'll be writing scripts to automatically control stocks depending on what is going on. I don't think anyone wants to go down that path...

Edited: 2010-07-20, 22:41

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-07-31, 08:56

Perhaps we should merge the blueprint UsabilityWareSorting with your's Kristin?

Cheers

Top Quote