Latest Posts

Topic: Blender 2.5 Alpha2

kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-12-29, 00:40

its gonna get close... only 1 or 2 months left for blender 2.57 (no beta) we have to get that script done! Who can write a little python (version 3.x)? Or is someone good at using bpy?

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-30, 16:11

Blender 2.5 has completely changed the Python API; porting all scripts is a major undertaking but should be fairly straightforward. I dread keeping two versions of each script (for 2.49 and 2.5) in sync, so I'd appreciate a definite decision by the elder of graphics when the version switch to blender 2.5 should happen.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-12-30, 17:11

If it is straightforward, it may also be possible to have an automatic converter script which may aid in porting the current scripts into the new API. This means as long as the decision is not made, users of new Blender have to convert their scripts...

Just an idea, I did not have a look at the sources, but Python is just text, after all face-grin.png

Edit: Ok, I've just found that Blender 2.4x uses Python2 while Blender 2.5x uses Python3. There is an automatic converter which may be able to convert the scripts as much as possible ( http://diveintopython3.org/porting-code-to-python-3-with-2to3.html ) but I don't know if the Blender people changed anything with this transition or if it would really only be this converting....

Edited: 2010-12-30, 17:25

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-30, 18:14

As Elder of Graphics, I feel we should not even attempt a migration to Blender 2.5x until two critical requirements have been met:

1) a stable release of Blender 2.5x has been released AND
2) we have successfully converted or replaced the existing python 2 scripts with python 3 counterparts for use in Blender 2.5x. The loss of the functionality and standardization these scripts provide would greatly impact the development of new animation.

At the time these conditions are met, we will perform a mass conversion of ALL of the older 2.49 models to 2.5x. (With the exception of embedded scripts, that can be achieved by opening and saving the models with the 2.5x version.) As there is no backward compatibility from blender 2.5x, I will not allow a mixture of 2.49 and 2.5x blend files in the media trunk. (And graphics that are dependent on a 2.5x model will not be used in the development trunk.) Once a model has been saved with blender 2.5x there is no going back and I will not advocate nor support work from an unstable source.

Blender's python API is still unstable in the most current beta version see link, so it is still premature to even consider conversion scripts.

Stability is the goal and this will be achieved by working with one release of Blender at a time.

Unless I can be convinced otherwise, until the two critical conditions are met, ALL blender development will continue to be done with version 2.49 or be converted to Blender 2.49 for archiving and support in the media trunk.

That is my stance. I welcome your comments.

EDIT: added link to Blender python API announcement

Edited: 2010-12-30, 18:51

I see little people.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-12-30, 21:15

ouch thats hard,1 or 2 more months to wait... 2.56 is out and they changed a little bit of the api and got blender more stable (for today blender 2.56 didn´t crash even when browsing through my folders with preview enabled for 5 minutes) that converter seems to be realy usefull. we should have those blender 2.5x scripts working before blender 2.57 is out so we can swich fast ^^ the problem about blender 2.5x files is not that they can´t be used with blender 2.49b but they can´t be load into blender 2.49b unchanged. you can still import blender 2.5x objects, meshes etc. as long as they don´t use 2.5 stuff like smoke sim.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-30, 22:07

I fully support chucks point of view. That is we are not likely talking 2-3 months, more like 6-12: we will not switch shortly before a release, that is the best time to switch to blender 2.5 will be after build 16 or even after build 17 - we will see.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-01-01, 22:09

Oo after build 16 we need to switch!!! blender 2.5x supports far better smokesim etc. you can render and model at same time, you can animate mostly Anything even the render resolution(not needed, but maybe something else is needed like renderability animation!!!)i believe we got enogh time between build 16 and 17 to get those models changed to 2.5x standarts. To me Blender 2.49b feels like Stone-age-technology so please, if there is anything I can do to speed up the progress of getting to blender 2.5x just tell me, would be a great start into the new jear btw.^^

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-01-02, 11:02

kingcreole, the problem here is that as long as the Blender people say it is considered beta state and subject to change, you should never try to use it for production issues. That means, as long as that red section is visible on http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_54_0/ it will not be changed.

With an open source project like widelands, there is another problem here: you can not even use the new package as soon as the 'stable' version is released, because the package needs to be available in many places before everyone can work on it. For example, not everybody can compile the package by himself and needs to rely on package managers of their distribution... and with Blender 2.5x you'll have another problem, they dropped Win2k from the supported OS list, and maybe we have somebody using Win2k?

If you want to help, you can always start maintaining the conversion scripts in a branch, but be alert, you will do lots of things twice or more just because with every blender beta release they will change something and your scripts break again. I also doubt that anyone else will provide major support for this kind of work...

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-01-02, 18:26

QCS wrote: kingcreole, the problem here is that as long as the Blender people say it is considered beta state and subject to change, you should never try to use it for production issues. That means, as long as that red section is visible on http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_54_0/ it will not be changed.

true, true

With an open source project like widelands, there is another problem here: you can not even use the new package as soon as the 'stable' version is released, because the package needs to be available in many places before everyone can work on it. For example, not everybody can compile the package by himself and needs to rely on package managers of their distribution...

^^ i´m not shure if it is possible that someone can push a branch to launchpad and doesn´t know how to "compile" blender 2.5x

and with Blender 2.5x you'll have another problem, they dropped Win2k from the supported OS list, and maybe we have somebody using Win2k?

is there someone using win2k? Oo i never thought about old stuff like that since i use linux, sry, forgot that problem.

If you want to help, you can always start maintaining the conversion scripts in a branch, but be alert, you will do lots of things twice or more just because with every blender beta release they will change something and your scripts break again. I also doubt that anyone else will provide major support for this kind of work...

that means i´ll have to check if the script still works at newer versions of blender, right?

Edited: 2011-01-02, 18:28

Top Quote
Kiscsirke
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-04-25, 22:05

OK, so yes, the whole Blender API changed, but, I had some spare time this weekend (well, spare time might be an overstatement, but I was in the mood for this), soooo I cooked up a new script face-smile.png

You can check it out at lp:~csirkeee/widelands-media/blender_25

The new script is only applied to the file at graphics/blender_25_test/hunter_walk.blend, you can check it out there.

I will write up some stuff on the technical details this week (how you could go about adding the new one to all files, etc.), for now, you can try it and see if you like it face-smile.png When you load up the file in Blender 2.57, the new panel should be there in the properties window Render tab at the end. It all works as far as I know.

Now while the script is running, I wasn't able to provide any feedback on the interface, Blender basically freezes (I know that regular render could solve that, I tried, but if the API for that is available, it is not documented).

I think that's all for now, awaiting responses, and anything relevant face-smile.png

Top Quote