kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-28, 17:17

Tibor wrote:

dreieck wrote:

Hm.

Observing the discussions on the forum, I see that soldiers are quite important to many.

Although it is statet to be mainly a game about economy and not about military, it seems that the economy is just there to "serve" the military. (Technically, it is a lot about economy, philosophically it ist mainly about military, in my understanding).

I usually don't like the military part -- I like logistics.

I am completely fine how the game is, but I do not like the (felt) discrepancy I mentioned above. Let's call it a military game with a strong focus on economy.

Hm.

+1

I have similar feelings...

Me too ...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2018-09-28, 18:03

I guess this ultimate military focus could be shortened by allowing more than one win condition at a time. Consider a multiplayer match where autocrat AND wood gnome AND collector are active at the same time. Then maybe invent some new conditions like "farmer" (collect a lot of grain), "explorer" (unhide the complete map first), or something where you have to get the productivity above 95% for more then 10 minutes AND while producing each possible ware at least one time. Perhaps some win conditions should be unlocked not before one discovers the borderline of another player.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-28, 21:41

JanO wrote:

I guess this ultimate military focus could be shortened by allowing more than one win condition at a time. Consider a multiplayer match where autocrat AND wood gnome AND collector are active at the same time.

I think this is a great idea face-grin.png If one of the win conditions is fulfilled the game ends. For multiplayer games one has to choose wich win conditions should be set for this game.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-29, 07:29

I am all on favor of refactoring the win conditions code - we have a lot of code duplication in there. Another thing that I'd like to see is to make time limits and fog independent of the win condition.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-10-01, 13:08

dreieck wrote:

Hm.

Observing the discussions on the forum, I see that soldiers are quite important to many.

Although it is statet to be mainly a game about economy and not about military, it seems that the economy is just there to "serve" the military. (Technically, it is a lot about economy, philosophically it ist mainly about military, in my understanding).

I usually don't like the military part -- I like logistics.

I am completely fine how the game is, but I do not like the (felt) discrepancy I mentioned above. Let's call it a military game with a strong focus on economy.

Hm.

I disagree with this statement.
Or maybe better: it is not completely true.

For sure players have main goal of having best soldiers in a short time, but to get it they have to make an economy. How can we balance those two aspects of the game? (military & economy)

Recently I was playing a board game about building machines (Steam Works, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/143176/steam-works). But we can say in a similar way, that the game was not about building machines, but about gaining "prestige points". Really is it? I think that it depends on point of view AND how the game is balanced. From my point of view, Widelands are mostly military and economy (almost equal) game, but the rules are flexible enough to make it more economy or even only economy game. Example: last tournament.

So why are we talking about soldiers stuff? Because if we make almost perfect balance there, economy aspect will be more important.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-10-01, 18:04

einstein13 wrote:

I disagree with this statement.
Or maybe better: it is not completely true.

For sure players have main goal of having best soldiers in a short time, but to get it they have to make an economy. How can we balance those two aspects of the game? (military & economy)

So why are we talking about soldiers stuff? Because if we make almost perfect balance there, economy aspect will be more important.

And that's why I suggested the change. As things stand now, if player A has the better economy but knows nothing of soldier micromanagement, but player B micromanages soldiers to get supersoldiers sooner, player B is going to win by a fair margin. My proposal would have the effect of requiring more resources before one can train the first supersoldier. That would make general economy more important than micromanagement.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-10-02, 09:19

At times I get quite despondent about Widelands. It seems to be getting less about economy and more about the boring bit - soldiers.

For some, perhaps the majority, it seems the aim is to get the first fully trained soldier then the biggest fully trained army and even if the game will last 10, 20 or more hours the end result has been decided in an hour or so. I see no pleasure in that.

Traing workers with experience is getting to be a joke, apart from getting trained workers at the start the amount of training needed is getting lowered all to serve the getting to the fully trained soldier quickest idea. I can understand a desire for balance in getting it possible to fully train any tribe in the same time, but why the shortest time why not pick another number like 3 hours or even 10 hours?

It is unfortunate that the only measure of the effectiveness of the economy is the strength of the army, trade and diplomacy would be better or at least equally important . A better range of win conditions would help as well and any improvement would need a leap in AI processes, AI needs at least to be capable of playing different win conditions.

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-10-02, 12:50

If we really want to make economy as important as military, we have to tie them much more closely. There is a drastic feature to achieve that, which gives extra emphasis to logistics:

Add some form of maintenance-costs for the existing soldiers.

For example, for each soldier periodically provide food, plus wages proportional to his rank. On failure to provide those:

• Lack of wage demotes the soldier.
  • Lack of food sends the soldier back to civilian life (but if he reaches a warehouse, his weapons are saved).

In such a game, a super army can be maintained only by a super economy. Larger empires have a bigger challenge in sending on time food/wages to distant soldiers. Moreover:

• Military buildings store food and wages. Soldiers consume those when their time comes. Therefore, disconnected military buildings cannot sustain their soldiers for long.
  • Unless for defense, a soldier leaves a military building only after eating (and maybe only after healing, which may consume more food).
  • Soldiers inside training buildings don't need wages.
  • Soldiers inside warehouses don't need maintenance, but they get gradually demoted (HQ can be an exception, in order to make final battle more challenging). Therefore, military buildings away from borders become useful in storing promoted soldiers.

Easier tribes could avoid either food (self-sustained soldiers) or wages (self-motivated soldiers). Balancing can be achieved by adjusting the time period between consecutive food/wages (i.e. self-sustained soldiers are paid more often, and self-motivated soldiers eat more often).

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-10-02, 13:46

ypopezios wrote:

If we really want to make economy as important as military, we have to tie them much more closely. There is a drastic feature to achieve that, which gives extra emphasis to logistics:

That would change the character of Widelands quite a lot, and in a way I very much appreciate face-smile.png

Lack of food sends the soldier back to civilian life (but if he reaches a warehouse, his weapons are saved).

+1

Lack of wage demotes the soldier.

I don´t like the idea of introducing "wages". There is no money in WL, and introducing it would change the game´s character too much in my opinion. On the other hand, "wages" could be paid in iron ingots for lower-level soldiers and gold bars for heroes. I´d like that.

Military buildings store food and wages. Soldiers consume those when their time comes. Therefore, disconnected military buildings cannot sustain their soldiers for long.

Okay, but existing food (and perhaps payment?) should be retained in the building when it´s conquered by another player

Soldiers inside warehouses don't need maintenance, but they get gradually demoted (HQ can be an exception, in order to make final battle more challenging).

-1 for both. It just seems illogical to me that soldiers should lose promotions. Certainly don´t make exceptions for the HQ, as it´s not special in any way; and not all starting conditions have (and don´t need!) an HQ.

In such a game, a super army can be maintained only by a super economy. Larger empires have a bigger challenge in sending on time food/wages to distant soldiers. Moreover:

Unless for defense, a soldier leaves a military building only after eating (and maybe only after healing, which may consume more food).

+1 for forcing players to keep their economy in proportion to their army size.
+1 for letting healing to consume food. That way, fighting will increase the maintenance cost too.
Not sure if I understood correctly – Do you mean to forbid to send soldiers away or reduce capacity while they´re injured? -1, the possibility to do it at any time is important and must be preserved.

Edited: 2018-10-02, 13:48

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-10-02, 13:49

Tinker wrote:

It is unfortunate that the only measure of the effectiveness of the economy is the strength of the army, trade and diplomacy would be better or at least equally important . A better range of win conditions would help as well and any improvement would need a leap in AI processes, AI needs at least to be capable of playing different win conditions.

I don't think it would help. As was seen in tournraments, it is still more effective to kill your opponent before he can achieve another win condition.

ypopezios wrote:

I really don't like the concept. It would be a big pain, especially on small maps where your food production is scarce.

The change I propose is, I believe, the best way to put more emphasis on economy and less on getting the first supersoldier, without severely changing the game

Top Quote