Latest Posts

Topic: Making png pictures

Widehunter

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-18, 02:17

Hi, I was testing one of my ideas to replace the flags in my settlement with small houses,to represent housing for my ever-growing number of workers. Some remarks in the suggestion forum were made to prove that these small houses,(who would use only one triangle tile) would not be accidentally mixed up with normal infrastructure buildings and bloat the settlement So that's why I wanted to make a new png file at the same dimensions as the flag(32x42) and look whether it worked well or not.

Unfortunately, because of me having no experience with graphics design, I overlooked the fact that my quickly-drawn ugly test houses would be rendered with white/black edges when playing the game. So the portion of the 32 by 42 pixel file that I didn't color when drawing the house, showed up white in the game, instead of showing the background(eg the terrain) This was done with paint, so I realize I need to do this with gimp(I'm more familiar with gimp than with blender) Does this have something to do with layers? How do I make a house that is displayed correctly in the game?

Edited: 2010-01-18, 02:19

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-01-18, 16:25

Widelands adheres to alpha channels (which basically describe transparency in images). One image format that supports them is PNG. You can find information about how to do transparencies in gimp with google.

Cheers !SirVer

Top Quote
Widehunter

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-18, 19:49

Thanks SirVer, that was the word I was looking for. If someone knows anything else I should know about 2d graphics, be welcome to share.

Edited: 2010-01-18, 19:54

Top Quote