Latest Posts

Topic: new tribe: amazons

Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-03-02, 19:47

Feedback from transifex regarding the name of the Youth Gathering:

• Maybe another name would be more appropriate. Enlistment point or something that doesn't contain youth would be better.

• I used a typical czech word similar to "junior". Sometimes translated "adolescent" as well.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-03-02, 21:14

Nordfriese wrote:

Feedback from transifex regarding the name of the Youth Gathering:

• Maybe another name would be more appropriate. Enlistment point or something that doesn't contain youth would be better.

• I used a typical czech word similar to "junior". Sometimes translated "adolescent" as well.

Asked for explanation on the first bullet point on transifex. Without any background of the problem it is hard to decide on a solution.
Generally I wasn't happy with the somewhat strange names of some amazon buildings during translation, but after a while I started thinking they might fit the tribe as stoneage-steampunk tribe exactly for being somewhat unpolished.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-03-03, 09:44

Feedback was received on transifex:
"The association of young gatherings with military forces doesn't seem good to me. If Widelands has a young audience, this may look as if it were normal (or a good idea) for young people to join the army. And also, that adult people cannot join the army. Apart from this, I would go for a more descriptive name, that states directly the relation of the building with its military purpose."

This was my response: "Ok I see your point. So first a bit of explanation. The amazons are meant to be a somewhat archaic tribe. As the creator said they are stoneage steampunk. So we found it suitable that all young women (as they are purely female which should be reflected in their profession descriptions) would receive basic training. As this is kind of an initiation rite would you go along with "initiation site""

Any othert thoughts / suggestions for a new name

Edit: Update from transifex "Initiation Site" is acceptable for the issue reporter. So I suggest to go with it.

Edited: 2021-03-03, 11:32

Top Quote