Latest Posts

Topic: Important Editor Tasks

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-13, 09:28

The developer documentation is generated from the code, but it is possible to freely add documents as well. It would only contain information about how features actually work in the game wright now, because it's a coding reference.

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/files/head:/doc/sphinx/

I am not sure if discussing planned features in the wiki will help us much. At the moment, things are already being discussed in 3 places:

1. Launchpad bugs
  2. Launchpad Blueprints
  3. The Forum

Keeping topics in a 4th discussion platform interlinked will mean more work for me.

It would be much easier to handle if we simply create a new bug once we have finished discussing what a feature should look like. That strategy has served us well during the last release cycle.

Having a separate forum thread per feature would also make things easier to find. I have yet to find out how to split topics in pyBB, if the feature exists at all.

Edited: 2016-12-13, 09:29

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-13, 15:19

GunChleoc wrote:

It would be much easier to handle if we simply create a new bug once we have finished discussing what a feature should look like. That strategy has served us well during the last release cycle.

+1

Having a separate forum thread per feature would also make things easier to find. I have yet to find out how to split topics in pyBB, if the feature exists at all.

Splitting topics is not possible right now. It is something i wanted to have also, but since our forum isn't much used yet, there is no hurry to get this. In general i believe discussing developement related things should only be done on Launchpad. Otherwise ideas/thoughts get lost or messy. But of course the forum could be used to get ideas/opinions from players.

face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-12-14, 17:59

Launchpad is not the best choice for hosting discussions and blueprints, if I see it right, because of limited capabilities to edit posts. Also it is hidden from the public, practically. Nevertheless, I have created a branch "widelands-dev/widelands/editor-views-1" in https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/editor-views-1 and a related discussion bug "Work on Toggle-Editor-Views" under https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1649958.

As for the Forum I would suggest to introduce 2 more sections under "Widelands Development", namely "Editor Development" and "Game Development". These topics are missing and threads belonging there have no good place under "Player Forums".

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-14, 22:03

toptopple wrote:

Launchpad is not the best choice for hosting discussions and blueprints, if I see it right, because of limited capabilities to edit posts.

Editing posts is a bad thing. Mostly it got unnoticed to the users. Editing Bug descriptions is nevertheless possible on launchpad.

Also it is hidden from the public, practically.

Everyone could read all the posts and bugs over there. So i don't understand that point.

As for the Forum I would suggest to introduce 2 more sections under "Widelands Development", namely "Editor Development" and "Game Development". These topics are missing and threads belonging there have no good place under "Player Forums".

I understand the goodwill trying to get more people involved in the development process. We have tried that a lot. See for example the General call for testing thread, or Call for testing the homepage. Beside those examples every developer is willing to answer every question which comes up in the forum in a friendly manner. After all the resonance is not really enjoying...

Long story short answer: In my opinion we could have a new forum "Game development" in category Widelands development. In there everyone could make new topics like "Editor tasks", since the editor is part of the game. A new subforum for "Editor development" isn't needed yet, imho. This opinion may change if the editor isn't a part of the game codebasis anymore.

Widelands has a lot places to contribute: This begins with creating maps, steps over to scripting, graphics, sounds, website related stuff, and ends in C++ programming. Everyone is invited to contribute in each of this parts. But for now i don't see a reason for having a specific forum related to each of those parts face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-15, 14:00

+1 - how about calling it "Game & Editor Development"? This way, people won't be wondering where to post.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote