Latest Posts

Topic: Sheep anyone?

toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-06-04, 09:05

How much are developers adicted to the "human sheep"? :) I have some nice sheep and fire sounds here, allegedly rights free, from earlier projects. Is there interest to replace the "human sheep" (which I would recommend)?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-06-04, 10:39

The sound of the sheep is IMHO not the badest... compared with, f.e. this one on wikipedia. Could you upload the file somewhere, so that we can hear it?

Annoying is, that a sheep is mostly placed on some maps, and so the sound seems to be "overall" at the beginning of a game.

From my point of view fire sounds are not welcome if they are meant to be added to a burning house, because it give the destructive parts of widelands too much attention. Widelands is a game to build up, not to burn down.

Related Wiki article: About Audio

Me myself had just added sounds of frogs and chirping of crickets... If you have ideas where sounds are missing or could be added, feel free to add the sounds (we would help you, just provide the files or make yourself familiar with Bazaar) or edit the wikiarticle Sound Effects face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-06-04, 11:07

We could control how often the sheep sound is played - for the sheep farm, the sound should be played when a new ware is created. For the sheep running around, I think we can give the sound a low probability, so it won't pay too often.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-06-06, 17:45

No Fire sounds? Awww! - When I recall, the fires were one of the most enjoyable features of Settlers II in the otherwise tyring end-games. face-wink.png

I downloaded from Bazaar but currently cannot compile (see error listing below)! Running from an Ubuntu environment and applied the recommended installations.

[2349/2710] Building CXX object src/wui/CMakeFiles/wui.dir/fieldaction.cc.o FAILED: /usr/bin/c++ -g -I../src -Isrc -isystem /usr/include/SDL2 -isystem /usr/include/GL -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -std=c++11 -fext-numeric-literals -g -DDEBUG -Wall -Wpedantic -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-nonliteral -Wformat-security -Wformat-y2k -Winit-self -Winvalid-pch -Wlogical-op -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wno-undef -Wold-style-cast -Woverlength-strings -Wpacked -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wsign-promo -Wsync-nand -Wtrampolines -Wundef -Wunused -Wunused-macros -Werror=format-security -Werror=return-type -Werror=shadow -Werror=uninitialized -MMD -MT src/wui/CMakeFiles/wui.dir/fieldaction.cc.o -MF "src/wui/CMakeFiles/wui.dir/fieldaction.cc.o.d" -o src/wui/CMakeFiles/wui.dir/fieldaction.cc.o -c ../src/wui/fieldaction.cc c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-06-06, 20:11

toptopple wrote:

I downloaded from Bazaar but currently cannot compile (see error listing below)! Running from an Ubuntu environment and applied the recommended installations.

Do you used the compile script?

cd to/folder/widelands/branch/
./compile.sh

I am not very familiar with compiling and the errors. "Ubuntu environment" means a virtual machine or a real installation?

Great that you try this face-smile.png

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-06-06, 20:56

I forgot:

If you only want to test your sounds, it is not necessary to compile widelands. Just copy the entire datafolder from

/usr/sharegames/widelands/data

to your home directory. In this folder all configuration stored, also the sounds. After you copied it, you could use the '--datadir' option to tell widelands where it could find the datadir:

widelands --datadir=/home/username/path/to/widelands/data

But if you want to propose your changes, you have to create a branch, make a compile test and then you could upload it as described in BzrPrimer face-smile.png

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-06-07, 07:48

../src/wui/fieldaction.cc c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)

My guess is that your virtual machine runs out of memory and that crashes the compiler.

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-06-07, 09:30

I'll get to the compile error later, something may be wrong with that C++ installation. Anyway, I'm happy if there is no need to compile and I can work with files and editing.

By now I have added sounds for: sheep, wolf, elk and boar. Runs nicely and gives a natural complexion, better than the "human sheep"! ;) Is there a deeper syntax to the sound scripts? Ideally there would be parameters for volume adjustment and frequency of sound playing. Frequency comes into effect if the sound is not bound to effects and events, e.g. For animals it would be nice to adjust frequency on an type basis so some species could be played more often than others. The current setting appears to be slightly too often!

Now I must find my way to uploading in Bazaar, might take a while! Thanks!

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-06-07, 16:23

Is there a deeper syntax to the sound scripts? Ideally there would be parameters for volume adjustment and frequency of sound playing. Frequency comes into effect if the sound is not bound to effects and events, e.g. For animals it would be nice to adjust frequency on an type basis so some species could be played more often than others. The current setting appears to be slightly too often!

No, as i know. Volume has to be adjusted directly onto the sound file. Frequency could be adjusted by adding a silence part to the file.

The code of sound handling is quite old. Maybe this needs an overhaul in build20... you could file a bug report on launchpad if you think it is needed.

And please make sure your sound files are free of any copyrights face-smile.png

Hm... i have forgotton to continue the work on the AboutAudio page face-upset.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-06-07, 19:28

This is what I dug up from the source code:

• Animations in general have the following available:
      sound_effect = {
         directory = "sound/farm",
         name = "sheep",
      },

And that's it.

• workers/immovables/productionsites can have a step play_sound in their programs:
Usage: play_sound <sound_dir> <sound_name> [priority]"

For example:

programs = {
      cut_granite = {
         "findobject attrib:rocks radius:6",
         "walk object",
         "play_sound sound/stonecutting stonecutter 192",
         "animation hacking 10000",
         "object shrink",
         "createware granite",
         "return"
      }
   },

Critters don't have this though, and they still rely on their animations for playing sounds. Also, there's nothing about sound level and probability. I expect that a low priority will make the sound play less often.

From the comments in the source code, it was planned to replace all animation sounds with program sounds. This will need changes in the C++ critter code though (= move some code from worker to bob).

Edited: 2016-06-07, 19:30

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote