Latest Posts

Topic: is there any plan for creating impassable cliffs?

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-19, 11:58

kaputtnik wrote:

Something like serpentine with hilltops:

Serpentine can be done with (old Greenland/Summer) ice. It is not passable and can be used as a glacier in mountains.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-22, 15:37

any idea when/if those mountaintops and stuff will be implemented soon? my new plan for the map calls for doing a vertical scale from 500 to 2000 meters, and rendering everything higher as mountaintop.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-22, 15:58

The mountaintops i've made have a lack of shadow. I think this should be made with blender, but currently there is no one (except fraang) who is able to manage such a sophisticated software... So after all, 3D-modelled images wouldn't get into the game since there is someone who is able to do so (and have time).

I think you have to use the editor options like they are available for now ...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-25, 18:05

just a quick related question, for which i don't want to open another thread: if I have an asymmetric map, where nonetheless I carefully counted the amount of building slots and resources available to all players to make sure they are equal, shall I tag it as "unbalancced" or not?

On one hand, "blanaced" implies a symmetrial map. On the other hand, if I made sure to give everyone an equivalent land, it can hardly be called unbalanced.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-25, 18:14

In my book balanced means that all players have the same chance. So, I wouldn't tag it as "unbalanced", but maybe test play it first / let the AIs have a go.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-26, 09:56

king_of_nowhere wrote:

On one hand, "blanaced" imp:lies a symmetrial map. On the other hand, if I made sure to give everyone an equivalent land, it can hardly be called unbalanced.

I understand "balanced" as "symmetric situation +/- few % of chances". Any mistake done by you can change few % of chances to win by the opponent. So yes, mark it as balanced! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-26, 10:26

and since i'm here, i may already ask: why the vertical scale only goes from 0 to 60? a mountain map could be much more majestic if i had a vertical scale up to, say, 200. as it is, i'm using 0-60 for everything between 500 and 2300 meters, which includes all the valleys and the passes where the action willl be. It is adequate in the way the valleys gradually rise, although I'd expand it even further if i could, but i can't make truly high mountaintops; they are little taller than the passes, although i found that a mix of using a rugged terrain and working with textures, for example by using winter mountains for the tops and summer for the middle, can convey a sense of verticality.

Still, the 60 feels a bit of an arbitrary limit, and i wonder why it is. I suppose it's to convey elevation as a single byte?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-26, 11:26

The data type can hold more than 60, so that's not the reason. I'll hack it and investigate which limits make sense - it might also be a graphics thing. I am also setting the max height difference to 6 to see what happens.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-26, 14:53

Just as I suspected, it's a graphics thing. I set the limit to 80 and raised some terrain in the editor, which will then result in graphics artifacts when I scroll the view. So, changing this won't be simple.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 06:41

GunChleoc wrote:

Just as I suspected, it's a graphics thing. I set the limit to 80 and raised some terrain in the editor, which will then result in graphics artifacts when I scroll the view. So, changing this won't be simple.

Did you do that experiment in the same time that you tried to allow a slope of 6 between adjacent corners? Because I can easily see how that could not work; the perspective at which the map is viewed make it so tthat a slope going down northward has the terrain mostly hidden from the point of view of the player; with a slope of 5, a terrain facing north becomes a very tiny strip, and with a slope of 6, it may become completely hidden by the slope, which would generate all kind of artifacts as the game tries to dispplay it anyway.

But I have a hard time seeing how raising the terrain to 80 instead of 60 could change anything. the graphics for terrain height are only dependent upon the relative changes in height between adjacent tiles, not on the absolute height. A plain with a bump on it looks the same whether tthe plain is at height 10 and the bump at 15, or the plain at 60 and the bump at 65.

By now I have invested enough effort into my map that I'm not going to remake it with higer slopes if they were to suddenly become available, but still, if there is no particular barrier to raising the ground more than that, I see no reason not to allow it.

Top Quote