kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-03, 21:05

einstein13 wrote:

Noone builds on sand face-smile.png

Maybe mathematicians don't do that face-grin.png But the people from venice or hamburg have done so.... face-wink.png

Also it shouldn't be treeless at all: coconuts are growing well on sand with some salt water

Your kidding: On one side you want treeless terrains for port spaces, on the other hand you propose something that isn't available yet. The same way you search for treeless terrains for port spaces you could also search for terrains which are good for coconut palms to use for beaches. The only difference is the point of view face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-03, 21:09

Tibor wrote:

There should be at least some good for-port terrain - buildable and no trees. Not necessarily sand, but should look naturaly on a coast...

I used barren steppe and it is looking almost like "dense sand" (or maybe "hard sand" is better word for that?)

Something like that:

bottom of lake

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-03, 21:13

I also used some type of sand-like terrain, I just dont remember which one... Definitely we need some such terrain...

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-03, 22:31

we do have such terrains. barren steppe for summer, desert 4 and hard grund for desert, igneous rock for wasteland, and snow for winter. buildable, but almost barren. or at least we will have once i finish updating the values; right now, trees can grow everywhere except on barren steppe. to make sure about cross-biome growth, i made no tree with a preferred fertility lower than 0.4 and pickiness lower than 0.6. So, if I set a terrain with a fertility of 0.2, that's going to be mostly barren, and with 0.1 or less completely barren. that principle should be kept if new trees are included.

As for palms and beaches, i increased a bit fertility of beaches so it's not completely treeless. but most trees won't grow too near to saltwater, not to mention on sand, so having a beach mostly treeless make sense. i did the same for mountains too.

As for barren steppe, steppe to me implies that grass is growing on it. the picture einstein posted would be more like a desert. or hard ground at most.

EDIT: but if by "such terrain" you meant a sand-like buildable terrain, then there's desert 4 from the desert biome. hard ground from desert biome also comes close.

EDIT 2: I'm playtesting new values, and i see that barren steppe looks more barren than i noticed. almost a desert, with cracked ground. so i lowered its values a bit. i had to face an infestation of twine trees; i gave it low humidity and fertility tolerance and good pickyness because i wanted something that had a smalll chance of growing on mountains, but i accidentally caused it to grow on barren steppe like it was made for it, and on mountains of all terrains. even in deserts. so i restored twine to 0.8 pickiness, and i am raising a bit the values for mountains and beaches.

I''ll probably post new values by tomorrow, because if I don't do it, the day after i go in vacation, and who knows when i will have the time and will to finish.

Edited: 2015-08-03, 23:46

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-04, 10:22

I finished working on the latest version of the init files. changes I made included

• desert terrains were swapped to mid-low fertility and humidity, because, well, desert. summer terrains were made a bit more fertile to differentiate them better from new desert values. trees of those biomes were changed accordingly. this has no influence on the groowth of trees on those terrains, but it do on cross-biome tree growth

• fixed values where trees grew too well in a different biome. now the land will still sprout the occasional tree of a different biome, but it's a rare occurrence (and i think it's good that way), and mostly limited to terrains with characteristics closer to different biomes, like mountain meadows.

• lowered a bit the values for barren steppe and igneous rock to make them really barren

• increased values for mountains and beaches. they are still too low for trees to grow all the way (that could be changed if the need is felt) but it isn't uncommon for a tree to reach the second or third stage of growth, which gives them a more varied look while keeping them barren. also improves growth on the boundaries of those terrains.

• reworked values of the trees to make sure that if a tree grew well on a terrain before world merge, it will still grow well in that terrain. It may have accquired the capability to also grow in terrains where it did not grew previously, though.

• made sure that all trees will grow somewhere, so that the graphics won't have wasted their work face-smile.png

I am quite satisfied with those values and I feel they are ready to be applied in the next trunk. I mailed them to kaputtnik, he will post them soon for those who want to test.

Speaking of trunks, any idea on when build 19 will come out?

Edited: 2015-08-04, 10:23

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-04, 10:58

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I finished working on the latest version of the init files. changes I made included (...) I am quite satisfied with those values and I feel they are ready to be applied in the next trunk. I mailed them to kaputtnik, he will post them soon for those who want to test.

Great work! What you've written here seems to be perfect! (If no, we can fix it, but only a bit face-wink.png )

Speaking of trunks, any idea on when build 19 will come out?

https://launchpad.net/widelands/+milestone/build19-rc1

There is a date: 2014-09-30 and we are more than 0.5 year after that. I guess (only a guess!) that in 2015-09 SirVer will tell "no more features" (like here: https://wl.widelands.org/news/2013/09/15/build-18-first-snow-feature-freeze-now-place/)

But it is only a guess!

That is why I think that we shouldn't work on a major changes, but smaller ones like this one face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-04, 12:17

We have currently 2 big branches in the works that I am stuck with and that we don't even have merge requests for yet. There are some problems that only SirVer (or somebody who is as good at programming as he is) can solve. So, until SirVer finds the time or somebody new joins the project, we really can't tell when they will be finished.

So, basically, it Build19 will come out when it's done, whenever that is face-tongue.png

Thanks for tweaking the values - as soon as they have been given some testing, we should get them into the game. Then we can see how they will perform in real game situations.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-04, 17:13

einstein13, sorry for bad comment ...

Here are the values from king_of_nowhere ( thanks face-smile.png ):

You could find a description how to use the files in this post.

This evening i will also provide a branch with the changed values, so everyone could download and test them in an easy way. I comment if i am ready with that.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-04, 20:57

GunChleoc wrote:

We have currently 2 big branches in the works that I am stuck with and that we don't even have merge requests for yet. There are some problems that only SirVer (or somebody who is as good at programming as he is) can solve. So, until SirVer finds the time or somebody new joins the project, we really can't tell when they will be finished.

So, basically, it Build19 will come out when it's done, whenever that is face-tongue.png

I wish it was not too long, I think there has been quite a lot of changes since last release and trunk is working well without big issues.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-08-04, 21:26

I pushed a branch to launchpad

The diff is available here

Top Quote