Topic: Trees and Terrains

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-08, 23:09

einstein13 wrote:

And I don't know any good way to change all values at once. Sorry face-confused.png

Maybe this would be a good exercise to learn lua scripting: Make a script that reads out any possible values and ask which you want to change. Depending on the choice step over the values in the corresponding file(s), provide the actual value and a prompt to enter the new value.

Just a thought....

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 01:03

kaputtnik wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

And I don't know any good way to change all values at once. Sorry face-confused.png

Just a thought....

I was scripting some things in LUA, but it wasn't easy face-confused.png Not for begginers. Also it is not worth it: less time spent on updating files manually than writing completely new LUA script that will do the work for you.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 01:32

yeah, if i can't copyy-paste it from the ods file, it's faster to write it manually than to learn a new script and write a script to read values from an ods file.

actually, at the moment my problem is that stupid windows 8 won't let me change the lua file in its folder. i can save a copy in documents, but i cannot change the file in the program. despite having admin priviileges - I'm not sure what they are, since wondows still thinks it knows what i want to do better than i do, which is quite insulting. i swear, if linux was just a bit easier to use, i would go for it.

anyway, rant aside, i know all i have to do is mannuyally terminate the program that is actually stopping me from overwriting. I only need to ask my brother whih one it is, so one of those days i'll certainly manage it.

from what i've seen, one mistake of how the values were made is that an attempt was made to express the temperature in kelvin. the way the growth is calculated, the gaussian has a width that is proportional to the absolute value of the parameter it uses. so a tree with a pickyness of 0.6 (many palms have that or lower) and an optimal temperature of 300 will grow fairly well from 360 to 240, and that's why palms grow on snow.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 04:03

Do what I do and install it somewhere else; I recommend C:/Games/Widelands1234 (or whatever the current version number is).

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 07:41

king_of_nowhere wrote:

yeah, if i can't copyy-paste it from the ods file, it's faster to write it manually than to learn a new script and write a script to read values from an ods file.

My idea would let you enter the values manually. It would also prevent suddenly changing the layout or enter values to wrong keys face-smile.png But it is just an idea to someone how is interested in learning lua scripting.

actually, at the moment my problem is that stupid windows 8 won't let me change the lua file in its folder. i can save a copy in documents, but i cannot change the file in the program.

Is there a shell (a window with a prompt) in win8? If so you could may copy the widelands data to a destination where you have all the rights and start widelands from the shell with:

widelands --datadir=C:\path\to\new\widelands\data

In this way you have the original files untouched and you could start widelands with your changed configuration.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 07:57

the gaussian has a width that is proportional to the absolute value of the parameter it uses.

So would it make sense to use our own temperature scale, ranging from -50°W to 50°W (degree Widelands) and simply shift all current values (if current values are between 240K and 340K, subtract 290). This could already have a big impact on the trees' distribution, without having to think of many new values.

wondows still thinks it knows what i want to do better than i do, which is quite insulting.

A general problem of Microsoft - their target group seem to be "simple" users. On Win7, I can right click on the folder which contains the lua files, choose properties, remove the box/tick from write-protected (not sure about the English term). This works for me, but I have admin rights. I'm not familiar with Windows 8, sorry.

i swear, if linux was just a bit easier to use, i would go for it.

I think it's not that hard, it's just different. I must admit that I have to google my problems, but I usually find a solution. You can use "Wubi" to try it out - the installation is rather easy.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 08:28

wl-zocker wrote:

I think it's not that hard, it's just different.

I agree, learning linux has steep learning curve. In the beginning it could be hard (f.e. if some of the hardware wouldn't work as well). For myself i needed ca 1/2 to 1 year to get into it (at least the choice of the right desktop took a lot of time). And linux has much more choices than the "right" desktop face-wink.png

I must admit that I have to google my problems, but I usually find a solution. You can use "Wubi" to try it out - the installation is rather easy.

Here i disagree. "wubi" is a bad thing and make mostly problems. Most beginners to linux boot linux a few times but in the end they boot windows, just because they know it better and they don't want the freedom of choice in such a huge way.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 08:37

wl-zocker wrote:

the gaussian has a width that is proportional to the absolute value of the parameter it uses.

So would it make sense to use our own temperature scale, ranging from -50°W to 50°W (degree Widelands) and simply shift all current values

That will be more human-redable. SirVer, who wrote the first version of those files, choose values as Widelands-Kelvin which is more prefferable for physicists. For most people Widelands-Celcius will be better face-smile.png But remember about English-system-people! They like Widelands-Farenheit system face-grin.png

wondows still thinks it knows what i want to do better than i do, which is quite insulting.

A general problem of Microsoft - their target group seem to be "simple" users.

General answers for your problem are given. For older versions of widelands (about 7300 and earlier), you could simply copy all files to another directory and work on them as valid copy of Widelands. I did that few times. Then you run .exe file from copied files. Now I am not sure if Widelands is using files from its folder or from folder given while installing.

i swear, if linux was just a bit easier to use, i would go for it.

I think it's not that hard, it's just different.

Linux is tricky (I use Ubuntu at work and sometimes Gentoo as server). Basic commands are ok, but if you want to make something else, you have to read and read and try and ... it will not work face-wink.png

Edited: 2015-07-09, 08:38

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-09, 11:46

As a Linux beginner, I recommend Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. It's basically an Ubuntu, but they made the user interface look as much like Windows as possible.

I think setting it up as a dual-boot or a pendrive Linux is a good idea, since then you can still use your Windows if you're in a hurry to do stuff. Also, if you have an OEM Windows, it won't create problems if you want to return to it.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-10, 12:39

i treid the new init file but it's not working. it reports an error message

"tribe barbarians: [c:/data/bzr/widelands/working/src/scripting/lua_errors.cc:22] [string "world/init.lua"]:2: attempt to index global 'world' (a nil value)

I changed nothing except the values, and going to new lines for every new terrain for ease of reading.

Top Quote