Latest Posts

Topic: nearest neighbor / point filter

tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-04-30, 10:46

I have to admit that it doesn't look as bad as I expected overall... but it doesn't work well for the textures on uneven terrain...

Edited: 2024-04-30, 10:48

Attachment:
shot0008.png

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-04-30, 10:47

this is quite reasonable

Attachment:
shot0009.png

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-04-30, 10:50

upscaling can still be somewhat worse

Attachment:
shot0010.png

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-04-30, 10:58

Kusy wrote:

Ok. I'm semi-sure I found a way to change how the textures filter but I can't get around making a build (errors galore), never built an app in my life and this didn't work out to be the first time.

Doesn't compile.sh work for you? What operating system do you use? Are all dependencies installed?

Again, having this as an option in the game (a checkbox for nearest filtering / a droplist with the two or something in that vein) would be invaluable both from the perspective of players who prefer how it looks and anyone who wants to work on addons with a more pixelart feel to them.

I'm not sure about that. It's a quite technical detail that's of little interest to the overwhelming majority of users... Maybe as a commandline only option?

Top Quote
Kusy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-30, 14:09

tothxa wrote: Doesn't compile.sh work for you? What operating system do you use? Are all dependencies installed?

Windows10 x64. I tried with MSys2 and Innosetup with no luck. I'll try to find some time later to go thru it again.

tothxa wrote: I'm not sure about that. It's a quite technical detail that's of little interest to the overwhelming majority of users... Maybe as a commandline only option?

Honestly for me personally commandline would be enough but I'd argue considering Widelands appeals to Settlers 2 nostalgia and that's exactly how Settlers 2 rendered it's art, a lot of people could apprechiate it if they knew it was an option for all we know. Overwhelming majority of users doesn't know the difference between the two or that something like filtering is even happening under the hood, so it would be hard to measure interest without the option actually being there.

tothxa wrote:

I have to admit that it doesn't look as bad as I expected overall... but it doesn't work well for the textures on uneven terrain...

UV stretching, works exactly the same as it did in S2.

A decent example from a very different genre would be Quake Enhanced where the setting is stripped of the technical conotations and simply called Texture Smoothing in the display options. The game has it disabled by default and one could argue it looses a bit of it's original charm when enabled. I know Widelands is not a remake, and aims to improve on Settlers, but the point stands.

What I can defenetely agree with is that majority of art in use doesn't compliment the style.

Edited: 2024-04-30, 14:10

Attachment:
Q1TextureSmoothing.png

Top Quote