Latest Posts

Topic: game speed and AI

knarf
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-02-12, 22:11

Hi,

I was under the impression that the game should behave the same, regardless of game speed. Is this the intention?

If it is, then there currently seems to be a bug. I can consistently load games and then do nothing (no action) other than letting it run with different speeds. In the extreme I can be right before a confrontation when I run the game at somewhat "normal" speeds of 10x (to get to results faster) and I get attacked really quickly, while when I run it at something like 300x, the opponents do nothing: no house placements, no attacks. In that particular case (a campaign), there are three players (one of which is me) and I know that if I run the game normally, red defeats yellow and I see the steady decline in the statistics graph (key 'a'), but when running at 300x, the graph flattens out: they stop fighting. I see many generations of naturally grown trees go by and nothing of note happens, other than my economy producing tons and tons of wood and other regenerables. This just feels broken.

Considering that I often play at something like 0,2x (and certainly not 10x) speed I wonder how difficult this makes things for me. On the same note: could that mean that playing on a faster machine gives the AI more time and thus more "power" than on a slower machine?

Edited: 2024-02-12, 22:12

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-02-12, 22:23

When the game is running too fast, the AI throttles its relative speed to avoid overloading your computer's performance. The game would become extremely laggy otherwise.

As a rule of thumb, 30× gamespeed is the highest the AI can handle well, but with very large games and/or slow CPUs it can also start slowing down at much lower speeds.

Making the game run extra-slowly does not give the AI extra computing power.

When the AI is throttled, the terminal output will show lines like WARNING: 2: AI: game speed too high, jobs are too late (now 8 seconds)

Top Quote
knarf
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-02-13, 12:29

Nordfriese wrote:

When the game is running too fast, the AI throttles its relative speed to avoid overloading your computer's performance.

Thanks. Is there a way to disable that, maybe an option or command line option?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-02-13, 14:06

knarf wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

When the game is running too fast, the AI throttles its relative speed to avoid overloading your computer's performance.

Thanks. Is there a way to disable that, maybe an option or command line option?

AFAIK. No.

Top Quote