Latest Posts

Topic: Use std::algorithm when possible?

matthiakl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-11-07, 14:01

cppcheck reports a lot issues of the type "Consider using std::count_if algorithm instead of a raw loop." but I am not sure, whether we want this.

So for example

uint32_t cnt = 0;
for (auto item : queue) {
    if (item.second == additional_id) {
        ++cnt;
    }
}
return cnt;

would become something like this:

return std::count_if(
   queue.begin(), queue.end(), [additional_id](const std::pair<uint32_t, uint32_t>& item) {
       return item.second == additional_id;
   });

Do we want to use this style, or leave it as it is?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-07, 15:39

I think the recommended style creates a wall of text. I find the old style more readable, even if it has a few more lines in it.

Would it work like this?

return std::count_if(
   queue.begin(), queue.end(), [additional_id](const auto& item) {
       return item.second == additional_id;
   });

Then I'd be OK with using it.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
matthiakl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-11-07, 18:24

GunChleoc wrote:

Would it work like this?

Nope:

ai_help_structs.cc:307:56: error: 'auto' not allowed in lambda parameter

I agree with you, that the current style is more readable. Lambdas are fancy, but sometimes hard to read / understand.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-07, 18:55

I'm in favor of leaving them as they are then.

While we're talking about cppcheck, I'm wondering whether we should add a GitHub action for it too, with a list of checks yet to be cleared. Just like we did for clang-tidy.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
matthiakl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-11-07, 20:23

I don't think a GitHub action is a good idea. Creating such a report takes a long time (~30min). Additionally it reports false positives (see examples below) or hints only, which would be difficult to handle in an automatic workflow. To use it simply to detect const issues is not worth it in my opinion.

There is also a list of unused functions, but hesitated removing them straight away, because they might be intended for future use.

Some examples:

src/io/machdep.h:62: (error) Uninitialized variable: s => it is iniatialized

src/economy/ship_fleet.cc:212: (warning) Non-pure function: 'get_schedule' is called inside assert statement. Assert statements are removed from release builds so the code inside assert statement is not executed. If the code is needed also in release builds, this is a bug. => can be a bug, or was intended

src/logic/map_objects/tribes/requirements.h:82: (style) Struct 'Requirements' has a constructor with 1 argument that is not explicit. Such constructors should in general be explicit for type safety reasons. Using the explicit keyword in the constructor means some mistakes when using the class can be avoided. => explicit and templates don’t work together

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-10, 07:42

Thanks for the analysis of the tool. Let's just stick with clang-tidy for the GitHub actions then. There's also a check for explicit constructors in there and it does recognize the templates, and we can get rid of false positives with a // NOLINT annotation.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote