Latest Posts

Topic: Empire Weapon smithy (trees)

chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-03, 21:58

I think she was referring to the blackland stones, not trees in the forum post you reference. Regardless, I can't find 3D stones neither. Sooo, it looks like we still have some modeling to do.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-04, 05:10

I gave you the wrong link, sorry.
got that mixed up. I'm no more sure, where I have the information from, that Alexia did the Blackland trees -- Nasenbaer, I think in a PM.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-04, 17:54

Astuur wrote: ... I'm no more sure, where I have the information from, that Alexia did the Blackland trees -- Nasenbaer, I think in a PM.

Well, if Alexia still had any 3D Blender files, I am confident she would have made their existence known.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-11, 11:46

Just realized that the trees behind the Epire Tavern are quite a bit better.
Can they not be used?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-11, 16:38

Astuur wrote: Just realized that the trees behind the Epire Tavern are quite a bit better.
Can they not be used?

Of course they can! If not the whole trees, then certainly the textures can be used. In fact I will review all of the trees in the empire models and see if I can give Mother Nature an assist. face-smile.png

By the way, the answer to Astuur's earlier question, namely:

Also, where does the shadow on the south-western wall come from?

Can be found in this render of the blender model
empweaponsmithy
I'll also see if I can improve the identification of the spears somehow.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-11, 17:22

Wow --- Chuck, not knowing Blender, I need to ask you this question:
How did you produce that picture? And how come most of the (very thoughtfully placed) details get lost?
It's not only the spears, it's the coal, the Z-structure on the door, the roof tiles, the anvil etc.
Even those walls show some structure!
In Wideland that roof looks like a tin sheet painted red!
Well, you know yourself....
On the other hand, I wonder what that shadow on the roof is about, and why the walls above the lintels are all grey and not white like the rest between the windows?
All bugs? Is Blender having so much problems rendering such models?
I think, this also explains the "ice-creamy" look of Alexia's Blackland quarry stones!
I bet they had a fines texture as the original model!

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-11, 19:32

Astuur wrote: Wow --- Chuck, not knowing Blender, I need to ask you this question: How did you produce that picture?

I rendered the 3D model directly out of Blender at a resolution of 400x400. (That is the standard size we currently recommend for all renders from Blender. We subsequently re-scale those 2D images for use in the game.)

And how come most of the (very thoughtfully placed) details get lost?
It's not only the spears, it's the coal, the Z-structure on the door, the roof tiles, the anvil etc.

Ah, the vagaries of down-scaling! face-sad.png You yourself have often lamented the meagre number of pixels one has to work with in some of the game graphics. The small scale results in a lot of sacrifices. Coincidentally, having the 3D model available gives us the capability of manipulating the image to virtually any size, lighting or viewing angle. That is a great advantage over dealing with small 2D images where an attempt to up-scale results in pixelation.

Even those walls show some structure!
In Wideland that roof looks like a tin sheet painted red!
Well, you know yourself....
On the other hand, I wonder what that shadow on the roof is about, and why the walls above the lintels are all grey and not white like the rest between the windows? All bugs? Is Blender having so much problems rendering such models?

It is not a deficiency in Blender that causes those artifacts, but rather the technique the artist used in constructing the model. I highly suspect the points you observed are the result of overlapping planes. That wreaks havoc with the texturing. (It looks like I'll be tweaking more than trees and spears.) face-smile.png

I think, this also explains the "ice-creamy" look of Alexia's Blackland quarry stones! I bet they had a fines texture as the original model!

I bet they did, too! It is something to strive for. face-smile.png

Edited for spelling. face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-08-11, 19:37

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-11, 22:57

What do you think? (These images are scaled to the game.)

Before: oldsmithy After: newsmithy and with a green background greensmithy

Are the trees better?

Edit: By the way, the gray over the lintels and elsewhere was deliberate on the part of the original artist. I obviously prefer the more uniform look. face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-08-11, 23:47

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-12, 08:13

Oh yes they are!!
The tavern trees still seem a little more crisp. The darker shades of green do them good.
But compared to the old trees, this new version is much better!
But it is definetely the roof that shows the change clearest!
I have included the png into the game, and for the first time I can really see
a roof tile pattern in those imperial red roofs. What an improvement!
I have no idea about how these tiles appear inside blender.
Are they each an object of its own? Or clones? Or is this a fill pattern?
Depending on the answer, it may be an idea to have those tiles appear not quite as uniform,
but with some variation in color? Maybe a script could be written to shift the color slightly
within some boundries?
It would emphasize the tile effect, and generally substract a little from that
"fresh-from-the-plastic-toy-factory-look"; but that is of course only my own impression,
and perhaps not welcome everywhere.

The spears are now much better identified. Perhaps we don't need that many?
They cover up the house shadow, and for some strange reason seeing that seems important for
the overall impression.
As for the above-lintel-grey: If this was by design, I don't think changing it in all the models is really worthwhile. You probably would want to do that to keep it consistant.
It does add some structure to the houses, even though it looks a bit strange and is not really explainable form the construction. (Should we assume, they have painted those sufaces?)
Or mayby I have misinterpreted the whole thing... the house may be grey, and the white parts are suppoprting pillars that protrude? That would make sense. I cannot clearly tell.
I am still very enthusiastic about the roof pattern; very, very nice!
I had not expected such an improvement!

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-12, 12:40

Astuur wrote: I have no idea about how these tiles appear inside blender. Are they each an object of its own? Or clones? Or is this a fill pattern?

That is a question for the coders. I would hazard to guess they are individual objects displayed in their native format (i.e. no manipulation above placement on the game grid). I think that would better support animations, but I'm no coder and could be completely off base.

Depending on the answer, it may be an idea to have those tiles appear not quite as uniform, but with some variation in color? Maybe a script could be written to shift the color slightly within some boundries?
It would emphasize the tile effect, and generally substract a little from that "fresh-from-the-plastic-toy-factory-look"; but that is of course only my own impression, and perhaps not welcome everywhere.

You don't like the "Lego" look? face-smile.png I wouldn't put the onus of the appearance of graphics on the coders, when judicious use of textures can achieve the desired effect. The tile texture is projected from a photo image of a tile pattern. With a little manipulation and layering on another texture or two and/or using a different photo we might be able to achieve a more realistic look or at least more variance in the hues. I'll play with it a little.

The spears are now much better identified. Perhaps we don't need that many? They cover up the house shadow, and for some strange reason seeing that seems important for the overall impression.

Yes, I wanted to position the spears to their best advantage. I'll play with it a little more, too.

As for the above-lintel-grey: If this was by design, I don't think changing it in all the models is really worthwhile. You probably would want to do that to keep it consistant. It does add some structure to the houses, even though it looks a bit strange and is not really explainable form the construction. (Should we assume, they have painted those sufaces?) Or mayby I have misinterpreted the whole thing... the house may be grey, and the white parts are suppoprting pillars that protrude? That would make sense. I cannot clearly tell.

Aside from adding some interest to the structure, I can't fathom a logical application of the construction techniques that were implied. I got the impression of a pairing of concrete with marble or stucco. The impression I get with the graphic at scale is of shadows being cast, but with no apparent sources. But I am not enthusiastic about changing every model at this point.

I am still very enthusiastic about the roof pattern; very, very nice! I had not expected such an improvement!

face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote