Latest Posts

Topic: iron, iorn ore, gold, gold ore

Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-03-03, 12:38

Of corse it wouldn't be a coding problem, but rather a logic one. If an atlantean smelter made a fancy looking gold ingot with an ornament on it or something, it shoudnt just become a bare piece of gold when added to a babarian warehouse imho face-wink.png

Edit: Still I agree, that the different cultures of the tribes would possibly result in diferent looking products of their work. I guess this could be a major problem thinking about trading between the tribes...

Edited: 2011-03-03, 12:45

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-03, 15:35

In the "real world", similar wares (commodities) from different cultures may be valued differently, but when one considers inter-tribal trading in Widelands and game dynamics, should we impose those real world variables between tribes?
If, for example, an ingot of Atlantean gold has a different value than an ingot of Barbarian gold, then I would say they SHOULD look different. If, however, gold (or any other ware) trades at par between tribes, then IMHO I think they should look the SAME to mitigate confusion, and the extra space required for more complex code and additional graphics, assuming we may some day be able to draw from a single library images that are common between tribes. (in the spirit of Bug Report #536578, Bug Report #672248, and Bug Report #672251) hint...hint face-wink.png

Until I can be convinced of the need, I vote for using the same image for all tribes to depict a ware that is common to them.
KISS - (Keep It Simple... Surely) face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
LAZA
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-03-30, 12:17

Another suggestion (for WL 17 or so):

The iron ingots should more look like iron oxyd and not like silver.

At first sight and for the most people, how doesn't work in chemistry, the iron maggots look like silver bars. For the most people, if they think at Iron, they have rust (Fe3O, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron%28III%29_oxide) in mind and would say, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Iron_electrolytic_and_1cm3_cube.jpg) is silver or something.

So i would prefer to change the color into brown-red.

Also there could be an fourth ore added... :-D But also i had to entitle chuckw for the motto: KISS

* Dell X58 *
Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz
M391B5673FH0-CH9 - 12 GB @ 1.33 GHz
R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC
SP900 64 GB SSD = root; ST3000VX000-1ES1 = home; 2x WD2003FYPS-2 = pub
BDR-208D
-
* Manjaro Testing Xfce *

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-30, 16:24

LAZA wrote: Another suggestion (for WL 17 or so): The iron ingots should more look like iron oxyd and not like silver.

What? Do you not believe the tribe's smelters could produce "stainless steel"? face-wink.png
I did take a try at an oxidized look for the iron, but my first attempts were most reminiscent of copper, so I opted for the bluish/gray/silver hue.

For build 17, I will plan to explore some more materials and present them, as usual, for comments.
Thanks for your suggestion. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote