Latest Posts

Topic: Custom campaigns?

YungCoq
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-04-21, 03:47

I remember booting this up several years ago but didn't play long because there was a single campaign scenario to play IIRC.

From what I understand there are a few official campigns now, but none of them are finished?

Also I believe you can play custom ones?

Has anyone made any? Any recommendations? Are the official campaigns worth playing yet? Should I just skip the Barbarian one, being a Settlers 2 veteran?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-21, 09:36

Hi YungCoq and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

We have four official campaigns with a total of 10 scenarios in v1.0. The campaigns are a work in progress with new scenarios being added frequently (in release 1.1 expect a new scenario each for the Atlantean and Frisian campaign). However the existing scenarios are all perfectly playable – the under-development status is only about adding more new scenarios and further continuing the storyline. I definitely recommend playing through all of the campaigns; especially if you didn't play very much (or at all) with a tribe yet its first one or two scenarios will give you an introduction to their unique economic and strategical features. The difficulty of the campaigns varies from a fairly simple tutorial (Barbarians) to long and very challenging (Frisians).

Custom campaigns as add-ons are in principle possible since v1.0, but nobody has created one yet.

Most of the long-term fun of Widelands comes from free play however, with a huge variety of very different maps, starting conditions, and win conditions which can be combined in an infinity of different ways.

Top Quote
YungCoq
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-04-21, 22:18

I see, yes I started one yesterday. Props to whoever is in charge of the music, by the way.

Custom ones would be as add-ons, I see. I get why I couldn't find any in the maps section!

I'll look nto the official ones for now, thank you! face-smile.png

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-04-22, 00:58

Bonjour! Good to see another Canadian here.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-22, 01:22

If you like to play scenarios there are another 2 in maps/SP_Scenarios where at least Along_the_river is quite near to a campaign scenario.
Furthermore I finished the 2nd Atlantean scenario lately which is now subject to playtest and review.

Top Quote
YungCoq
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-04-22, 03:50

mxb2001 wrote:

Bonjour! Good to see another Canadian here.

Bien le bonjour!

hessenfarmer wrote:

If you like to play scenarios there are another 2 in maps/SP_Scenarios where at least Along_the_river is quite near to a campaign scenario.
Furthermore I finished the 2nd Atlantean scenario lately which is now subject to playtest and review.

Ahh, yes single maps scenarios are also fine. I could dive into that once I'm through the campaigns!

Top Quote