Latest Posts

Topic: Dealing with spammers

ixprefect

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-06-12, 11:41

Hey,

I noticed recently a number of obvious spam posts on the forum, e.g. vorm on this thread: http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/285/

Luckily at least some of these spammers seem too stupid to use the right syntax, but still, this is really annoying and I feel powerless against it. So I guess my question is: Are anti-spam guards in place? If not, can they be added? If we notice spam, should we tell somebody explicitly or just wait patiently in the hope that somebody with the power to delete those comments notices them and gets rid of them (including banning users who clearly appear to be nothing but spam accounts).

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-06-13, 09:47

Hi,

there are anti-spam guards in the account creation process. These should be enough to prevent most of the spam bots. From my experience it is almost impossible to block all spam. The spam bots are getting better and better. I do not see a big problem with this few spam messages. They just have to be deleted (including the accounts). I think it is a good idea to have a link "report this post" to inform a moderator about the post.

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-06-14, 17:28

I just reverted three wiki pages because of this spammer (Another user but similar links). This does not look like normal spam bots. Perhaps even a normal person editing the pages/ writing the posts.

Top Quote