Latest Posts

Topic: RECAPTHCHA

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 18:57

Please get RID of that. I am running Debian Linux and the default Firefox browser and it was impossible to register until I used Chromium. Chromium is not very privacy friendly! Seriously, recaptcha is a google spy mechanism, you should really disassociate yourselves 100% from anything to do with google, facebook, twitter, etc.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 18:59

mxb2001 wrote:

Please get RID of that. I am running Debian Linux and the default Firefox browser and it was impossible to register until I used Chromium. Chromium is not very privacy friendly! Seriously, recaptcha is a google spy mechanism, you should really disassociate yourselves 100% from anything to do with google, facebook, twitter, etc.

I agree!

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 19:33

First of all welcome to the forum.

mxb2001 wrote:

Please get RID of that. I am running Debian Linux and the default Firefox browser and it was impossible to register until I used Chromium.

How exactly did you fail to complete the registration? Have you installed any plugins that could have prevented you from using the reCAPTCHA.

Seriously, recaptcha is a google spy mechanism

Seriously, it isn't, it is used to prevent bots from flooding the forum. What would the alternative be? Can you name any alternative mechanisms?

you should really disassociate yourselves 100% from anything to do with google, facebook, twitter, etc.

First post and you are going to tell the people how spent their time running this website how to do things? That is quite impolite, don't you think? Why do you think this website is in any shape or form associated with any of these companies?

Edited: 2019-05-20, 19:33

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 19:59

stonerl wrote:

Seriously, recaptcha is a google spy mechanism

Seriously, it isn't, it is used to prevent bots from flooding the forum.

So you want to say that recaptcha doesn't help google to collect data?

What would the alternative be? Can you name any alternative mechanisms?

https://alternativeto.net/software/recaptcha/

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 20:21

Hi mxb2001 and welcome to our forums face-smile.png

As mentioned in our privacy policy we know the problematic of using google recaptcha, and we suggest to use our contact form if someone don't want to register with the help of google recaptcha.

The reason why we rely (at the moment) on google recaptcha: It's easy to implement. Well that's not a good reason, i agree, but due to lack of website coders, it is reasonable. If you want to help with implementing another anti bot system, no one would be against it face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote