Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Atlantean style?!?

kraileth

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-18, 11:06

All of the models shown here look great. But like it was already said, I too think the first one looks too much like "empire style".

The second ones are really interesting and the idea of a green-skinned race that once existed is a brilliant one from my point of view (actually there is report of such a thing in old writings!! I'm not joking.). However something troubles me when I see these Atlanteans, I was even kind of "shocked" when I first saw them. I had to think a moment about it to find out: I had imagined them to be taller (ok, that was also covered in this thread already) and with skin color lighter instead of darker. But most of all: I was quite sure that the Atlanteans must be blonde. First I did not know why, but then I remembered a picture that I had seen. It's the everythinglost.jpg picture from the first atlantean campaign map. I like this pic a lot with the tall, very slim woman who has a/her child in one hand and the flag in the other, watching the inferno in the distance... A very strong picture. Now if I think the same picture with greenish skin - why not. But strangely with dark hair everything seems very unfitting for me.

Since I don't know much about modelling, I'm not sure if I ask too much, when I say that I'd like to see the same models with blonde hair? If it's something that can be quickly done, I'd really like to know what it would look like.

The long green eyes are however a unique trace that I'd suggest to keep anyway. It adds much to the atlanteans very different race.

BTW: If WL wants to keep it's "realistic" touch with every culture more mythological than high-fantasy, I can probably offer a little advice as I read some books on Atlantis/religion for my studies.

Top Quote
samithdisal
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-18, 12:28

Making blond is not that mush hard, but there were bad experiences with that hair color. If you see the barbarian builder for an example. Secondly there is a fair situation is the skin is lighter there will be no much deference between the body and the hair.

NoOb KiWwaTa NoOb Ma NeWeI

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-18, 17:31

The barbarian builder is not blond. It has a helmet on his head face-tongue.png

Top Quote
samithdisal
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-18, 18:57

SirVer: did you look at the blend file?? The builder has a blond hair + a blond beard. As the image is too small it looks like a modern construction workers helmet. I think this issue is reported as a bug.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-18, 21:16

sam, no I didn't. I see a helmet and I love it. It has a humorous touch to me :). This blond hair will always be a helmet to me.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-18, 23:31

As modeler of the barbarian builder, let me just say that I "intended" for him to sport yellowish-blonde hair, like a norseman maybe. If SirVer sees a yellow construction hard hat and likes it, so be it. face-smile.png

Sam's points are valid regarding fair skin and light blonde hair losing their distinction at the scales of the game engine.

I'll render a couple of the atlantean prototypes with blonde-ish hair and post them here after I take another look at the everythinglost.jpg. To be honest, it had slipped my memory.

I see little people.

Top Quote
kraileth

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-19, 08:56

Hm, if blond hair is unfavorable due to the engine, then I'd suggest to mix blond/red. Do you think, that would look better? The empire has black hair, the barbarian's hair is brown. If blond is too problematic, maybe a blend of blond and red would work. (BTW, I also thought that the builder was wearing a helmet! I had a good laugh when I first saw it and I like it - intended or not! :D)

If nothing can be done about that, what about a cultural explanation? Like the priest cast being blond (I'm not thinking of a "racial" explanation here because I regard the atlanteans as one people, but the blond hair of the priest/priestess could be like a gift of the gods to show their status or something like that). Another possibility would be men having dark hair and women could be (sometimes?) blond.

Whatever the case, I think that something a bit unusual or exotic would fit the atlanteans well.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-19, 15:55

You asked for blonds. Here are some blonds. face-smile.png I slimmed down the female model from my original. I think she looks less "matronly" if you know what I mean. face-grin.png

Blond Atlantean Male - west Blond Atlantean Male - southeast Blond Atlantean Male - southwest

Blond Atlantean Female - west Blond Atlantean Female - southeast Blond Atlantean Female - southwest

I think there may just be enough contrast between the colors of the skin and hair to recognize in the game. I haven't tried them in a game setting yet, but I'll do that and post a screenshot.

I must admit that I'm warming to the idea of a blond tribe.

I see little people.

Top Quote
samithdisal
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-19, 17:07

hey chuck its nice you put a "basement" to male hair face-tongue.png

we should try this in game env, but i think the female hair must be redone to reduce the misunderstanding for a cloth (else it looks like somewhat the Arabic people ware face-wink.png

cheers, sam

Top Quote
raistware

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-19, 18:08

Also jewlery on hair should be more visible, may be make it on other color ?

Top Quote