Latest Posts

Topic: Tribes

teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-11-11, 20:33

I would like to translate the Atlantean "woodcutter" differently from the others tribes' woodcutters, since the tool and method of cutting is different. Is there a way?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 08:45

Yes, just translate it differently. We are using pgettext to fetch the names for all tribe entities, so they can all be translated individually.

You can see whether an identical string can be translated individually on Transifex - check the "Context" tab. If it has an entry like

Context
atlanteans_worker

in it, it can be translated individually. If you should ever happen upon a string that doesn't have this feature and where you need it, just let me know and I will change the markup.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 09:25

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes, just translate it differently. We are using pgettext to fetch the names for all tribe entities, so they can all be translated individually.

Of course, I had forgotten that the others had lumberjacks, only found one instance of woodcutter in Transifex and got confused. Stupid user error. Thanks for all the help.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 10:15

Once again, there should be no references to lumberjacks in the English text, it is not an English word. Lumberjack was first recorded in about 1860 in the Canadian West, it was adopted by americans soon after. Most English people will know what it means, mainly due to Montey Pythons song, but it is never used as a job title. Wood cutter, tree feller or woodsman are the correct English terms.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 10:57

Well, the base English is American English, so "Lumberjack" is perfectly fine. Feel free to change it to something else in the British English translation though - just make sure that you catch all occurrences of the term face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 13:15

GunChleoc wrote:

Well, the base English is American English, so "Lumberjack" is perfectly fine. Feel free to change it to something else in the British English translation though - just make sure that you catch all occurrences of the term face-smile.png

It is wonderful if issues like this can be fixed by translating from english as second language into British and American through localization; else all other translations get broken, which is a lot more work in total.

In my opinion, the original texts should not be changed, unless the functionality of the lumberjack itself is changed enough to justify a rename. This is, of course, only one opinion: I have no way of knowing how much the old texts hurt your eyes, and how much that distracts working with the code.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-12, 17:28

I agree - we won't be changing the source strings, otherwise we'll have a localizers' rebellion on our hands - and rightly so.

We did a complete overhaul of all the strings and unit names a few years back, which broke about 50% of our translations. I am not going to do that again.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-02-07, 11:36

Hi, There is a wrong translation in Spanish version regarding with the buildings of Ranger's Hut and Gamekeeper's Hut. Both of them have the same name in Spanish: "Cabaña Forestal". So I installed the Poedit program and fixed the translation so that the first one is called "Cabaña Forestal" and the other, "Cabaña Guardabosques". Where can I send the fixed .mo file?

Edited: 2018-02-07, 11:36

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-07, 15:04

d_mythos76 wrote:

Hi, There is a wrong translation in Spanish version regarding with the buildings of Ranger's Hut and Gamekeeper's Hut. Both of them have the same name in Spanish: "Cabaña Forestal". So I installed the Poedit program and fixed the translation so that the first one is called "Cabaña Forestal" and the other, "Cabaña Guardabosques". Where can I send the fixed .mo file?

Translations are normally done on transifex . I am not familiar with translations, please wait for an answer from GunChleoc or Venatrix...

Thanks for contributing face-smile.png

Edited: 2018-02-07, 15:05

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-13, 10:09

If you don't want to get an account on Transifex, please let me know which should be which, and I'll go fix.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote