Latest Posts

Topic: Music submission

WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1245
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2019-07-22, 15:28

NonServiam wrote:

You made me knock out a happy song now! face-smile.png

Lol face-smile.png

I dedicate this track to WorldSavior.

Thank you

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5kzppflkicjt1a/Berries_and_Honey.ogg/file

From all of your tracks, this is the one which I like most. But I'd suggest to use the crash cymbal less often. It can also be nice to use different crash cymbals (or splash or china cymbals). And what about using another synthesizer? I don't like the sound of this one, just a matter of taste...

NonServiam wrote:

I never know what to call a piece, so I think about Widelands and then give the piece a name that springs into my head. I'm working on another one that's called "Five kinds of axe". face-smile.png Suggestions for alternative titles are very welcome.

Actually Barbarians use seven kinds of axes face-wink.png

And Atlanteans don't use wheat, but corn. Somewhere I've read that the spiders don't eat the corn, but insects which eat corn.

I can compose happy-sounding music if I'm asked to, but I get really bored with traditional Western major-key I-IV chord compositions, so anything self-directed -- anything that I've made purely for the pleasure of creation -- ends up in a more obscure mode such as harmonic minor or (as in the case of that piece) phrygian dominant. This has a reflective, wistful or melancholy sound to Western ears.

Not all tracks sound happy or sad...


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
NonServiam
Avatar
Joined: 2015-07-26, 00:51
Posts: 48
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-07-22, 16:52

WorldSavior wrote: From all of your tracks, this is the one which I like most. But I'd suggest to use the crash cymbal less often. It can also be nice to use different crash cymbals (or splash or china cymbals). And what about using another synthesizer? I don't like the sound of this one, just a matter of taste...

Easy enough to switch instruments and tweak the cymbal sound. face-smile.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/frne7h04hyobj7t/Berries_and_Honey.ogg/file


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1245
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2019-07-22, 23:27

NonServiam wrote:

WorldSavior wrote: From all of your tracks, this is the one which I like most. But I'd suggest to use the crash cymbal less often. It can also be nice to use different crash cymbals (or splash or china cymbals). And what about using another synthesizer? I don't like the sound of this one, just a matter of taste...

Easy enough to switch instruments and tweak the cymbal sound. face-smile.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/frne7h04hyobj7t/Berries_and_Honey.ogg/file

Good track with a nice bassline

The question is just if it fits to Widelands...

Edited: 2019-07-22, 23:28

“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
NonServiam
Avatar
Joined: 2015-07-26, 00:51
Posts: 48
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-07-23, 00:16

Well, it doesn't fit Widelands as-is. Those are the wrong instruments. It's just a fun thing I dashed off in about half an hour to prove that I could write happy music too face-smile.png

I can change the instruments easily enough though.


Top Quote
niektory
Avatar
Joined: 2019-06-03, 20:06
Posts: 27
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-07-24, 00:42

Changing the instruments won't help. It's too fast-paced and energetic. It's action game music, not strategy game music. face-smile.png

These Spiders Eat Wheat on the other hand sounds promising. Gives me a Middle Eastern vibe. WorldSavior is right though, it could use some more variety.


Top Quote
NonServiam
Avatar
Joined: 2015-07-26, 00:51
Posts: 48
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-07-24, 01:50

Yeah, I think so too. I'll rename it to These Spiders Eat Corn with the next version. face-smile.png


Top Quote
NonServiam
Avatar
Joined: 2015-07-26, 00:51
Posts: 48
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-07-25, 14:01

I present These Spiders Eat Corn, v1.00, with new instruments and themes added; some repetitions deleted; tempo sped up a smidge; added some reverb.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kaphhbwgljzns6k/These_Spiders_Eat_Corn.ogg/file


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1245
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2019-07-25, 19:46

niektory wrote:

Changing the instruments won't help. It's too fast-paced and energetic. It's action game music, not strategy game music. face-smile.png

Maybe it would change if one would slow it down a lot, then it's neither fast-paced nor energetic anymore.


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
NonServiam
Avatar
Joined: 2015-07-26, 00:51
Posts: 48
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-07-25, 20:26

WorldSavior wrote:

Maybe it would change if one would slow it down a lot, then it's neither fast-paced nor energetic anymore.

Like this?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tcqw2y07g242sso/Berries_and_Honey.ogg/file


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1245
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2019-07-25, 20:44

NonServiam wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Maybe it would change if one would slow it down a lot, then it's neither fast-paced nor energetic anymore.

Like this?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tcqw2y07g242sso/Berries_and_Honey.ogg/file

Yes, that's really nice. What about including that track in the game?


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote