Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Hide the password

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-09, 19:56

Just considering all the options - the multiplayer code was already there when I joined the project, and I'm not very familiar with it. I mostly work on translations, UI, and code cleanups.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-10, 11:28

We could of course also remove the login

I considered that too. Nasenbaer added some super user rights on the server though - something about being able to ban and block people. That is mainly why he wanted a login system IIRC. I wonder how useful that really is and if it is worth the trouble with the password.

Top Quote
freem

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-09-07, 04:36

My opinion: if a part of the code is supposed not useful and/or annoying: remove it for bêta versions and release candidates. The code there is, the less problems there might be. If widelands does not have security concerns, then you should remove that kind of stuff. Identity security on a game which is free as in free beer? Do you really need it? I say you, because I don't think I'm skilled enough to play with most of you, and so don't play on internet. Anyway, what's sure, is that I think that, for this identity problem, wesnoth have a decent way of doing thing: you can be registered on forums, and if so, only people knowing your password can use you forum pseudo. On game load, only people with same pseudo can join. Of course, it's a turn based game, but wesnoth and widelands have things in common: most games are long games (at least, wesnoth's interesting ones are long), they are FOSS successful game projects (my opinion at least, even if I think widelands lacks decent campaigns, but on the other hand I didn't helped), and they don't ask money to player to have better stuff. Now, I have no idea about how multi-p games works, which might be a problem (or a next feature: fighting an AI with unlimited goods with a small alliance of human players... oh, ok, I'm going too far sorry face-wink.png ) but since there is no money involved, is security a mandatory thing?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-09-08, 09:26

Protecting user data is always important. For example, users might use the same password somewhere else, so the transmission and the storing needs to be encrypted.

Being FLOSS doesn't mean that you don't do encryption, otherwise there would be no OpenSSL, OpenPGP... etc.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote