Latest Posts

Topic: New resource indicators

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-11, 21:23

Wells are running out. When there is no water resource, they just have ~50% of getting water. The percentage can be different (I can't remember for sure that info).

Edited: 2016-01-11, 21:24

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-11, 21:27

Yes, SirVer posted that water depletes, but the chance of still getting some is a lot higher than with mines.

Here it is: https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/view/head:/tribes/buildings/productionsites/atlanteans/well/init.lua

"mine=water 1 100 65 2",

Chance is 65%

Edited: 2016-01-11, 21:30

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-11, 22:01

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes, SirVer posted that water depletes, but the chance of still getting some is a lot higher than with mines.

The maximum amount of resource water is also higher than for ore/fish:

• Water: max_amount = 50
  • Gold/Coal/Iron/Fish: max_amount = 20

At least some terrains have a default value for resource water, which may not deplete. This default amount isn't shown in the editor infotool either.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 11:47

Okay, I have been corrected. I guess that would explain why wells often seemed to hover around 65% (which is much higher than an empty mine's 5-10%!). And in that case I recommend using blue balls (multiple pics) for water.

But it raises another question: should we just make water sources last forever? If they still get 65% efficiency when "empty", then you'd only have to add a few more cheap wells (3 empty wells are about as good as 2 full wells, whereas you'd need either 20 or 40 empty mines to match the output of 2 full mines); it's a small enough penalty for being empty that I didn't even know they could empty until now!

Alternately, you could have the chance for "empty" wells depend on the terrain; Meadow would have a higher rate than Dry Soil.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 17:11

DragonAtma wrote:

Okay, I have been corrected. I guess that would explain why wells often seemed to hover around 65% (which is much higher than an empty mine's 5-10%!). And in that case I recommend using blue balls (multiple pics) for water.

But it raises another question: should we just make water sources last forever? If they still get 65% efficiency when "empty", then you'd only have to add a few more cheap wells (3 empty wells are about as good as 2 full wells, whereas you'd need either 20 or 40 empty mines to match the output of 2 full mines); it's a small enough penalty for being empty that I didn't even know they could empty until now!

The penalty could be increased, but ultimately water should remain a limitless resource. I can't imagine this game if an economy could run out of water.

Alternately, you could have the chance for "empty" wells depend on the terrain; Meadow would have a higher rate than Dry Soil.

this seems a good idea.

Top Quote
EgyLynx

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 17:49

Oh, i not know THAT. Of course "kaivo"- wells my L... at use at long.

But... i liked old indicator of water... or should there at editor are land based water level? ( otherwords, water was tilepased, it dry level, how wet it, and how close that is ocean/sea... but now it was easier coding...)

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 18:15

Different types of terrains have different default amount of water. F.e.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 19:58

GunChleoc wrote:

"mine=water 1 100 65 2",

Chance is 65%

This is simply too high. Why would we care about sending geologists when no matter where you build a well, you will get roughly the same yield?

I would lower it to 10 or so - just to prevent complete run out of water. Also in nature I believe wells have some natural inflow of water from rain or so...

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 02:46

Tibor wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

"mine=water 1 100 65 2",

Chance is 65%

This is simply too high. Why would we care about sending geologists when no matter where you build a well, you will get roughly the same yield?

I would lower it to 10 or so - just to prevent complete run out of water. Also in nature I believe wells have some natural inflow of water from rain or so...

10% would be way too low. unlike mines, it is not reasonable to dismantle wells and rebuild them elsewhere, because you want to fill all your land with productive buildings and dismantling a farm to make a well in its place is not convenient. so in a normal game you will run out of water. then if well productivity when empty is 10% you would need 6 time more wells than you need right now, which would strongly affet the game balance. On a normal map, this would actually favor the empire, for the empire has no long-term use for small buildings except wells (quarries, fisheries and hunters run out, and it doesn't need more lumberjacks and foresters to expand its economy), so it would be able to make all those extra wells on land that it could not use anyway. It would disadvantage the barbarians from mid-game onwards, because barbarian bread and beer cost a lot of water, so barbarians would need hundreds of wells.

Now, having a well produce nothing in desert, and only 10% in dry land, seem perfectly reasonable - I can already see myself making a "no water challenge" map - but on meadow I wouldn't go below 50%.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 07:35

Empire has huge disadvantage about the wells: they need marble to be built. Marble can be very valuable on some maps. To build powerful empire you need lots of them.

50% seems to me to be ok. Wells isn't a very big problem to me then.

But I think that there should be a bunch of terrain types where wells can have less than 25% efficiency. like some kind of deserts and dry soils.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote