Latest Posts

Topic: Out of rocks/stones?

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-03, 22:43

The code for this is still being worked on, so it is still open for discussion. I found it odd that the Empire mines stones as opposed to marble, since marble is also stone. Hence the change. I didn't think of the lime kiln at the time.

If you can come up with separate terms for these 6 concepts that will work better, I'm all ears face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Urra
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 02:30

My part is translation into Russian. But these stones is a trap. You assume that the stone, which produces the Imperia and the Barbarians - the same. For the production of grout would be using some kind of limestone. If this stone is the same that is used by Imperia, then imperial structures are made of limestone and marble. But these rocks are very similar, why we separate them? I just do not know what to do.

Top Quote
tuggyne

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 08:06

Urra wrote:

My part is translation into Russian. But these stones is a trap. You assume that the stone, which produces the Imperia and the Barbarians - the same. For the production of grout would be using some kind of limestone. If this stone is the same that is used by Imperia, then imperial structures are made of limestone and marble. But these rocks are very similar, why we separate them? I just do not know what to do. In the game, they're mining/quarrying from exactly the same resources, so yeah, basically, that's the problem we've got.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 11:45

Somewhere in the Forum, i couldn't found it anymore, i allready talked about stone, rocks, and marble/granite and all ready explained that a marble never could be found where granite is found in the real world. Its because of the genesis of these kind of stones. Granit is vulcanic and marble is a metamorphosis from limestone which was build from sediments in water.

In my opinion we should only use "Rocks" and "Stones" in game. And maybe "Stoneblock" (for something that is is worked out of raw rocks/stones). So a stonemine would work Stoneblocks out of rocks and a Stonemason would make stoneblocks out of stones.

Terms like "Marmor" or "Granit" should be omitted, because they are confusing with the real world.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 16:38

kaputtnik wrote:

(...) Terms like "Marmor" or "Granit" should be omitted, because they are confusing with the real world.

For me it is not confusing. Real world- I agree that they can't be in the same spot. But here- it can be. In my opinion we shouldn't put exactly real world to the game. It is just an illusion. We don't have to stick with 100% with everything.

But to be more specific to the context, we should use "out of rock". I'm not the native speaker, but I understand "stone" as small ones, and "rock" as big ones. In the ground is always rock for me. (If you use another words, I will not cry because of that face-wink.png )

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Urra
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 17:51

einstein13 wrote: Real world- I agree that they can't be in the same spot. But here- it can be. In my opinion we shouldn't put exactly real world to the game. It is just an illusion. We don't have to stick with 100% with everything.

kaputtnik wrote: marble never could be found where granite is found in the real world. Its because of the genesis of these kind of stones.

You're both right. Game should not be 100% real world copy, but still, it is a model of the world. Much of the game is taken from reality. It is worth considering how to find a compromise between fantasy and reality.

Edited: 2015-04-04, 17:52

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 19:21

My suggestion is: Leave terms which have special meanings in the real world...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 22:50

Urra wrote:

My part is translation into Russian. But these stones is a trap. You assume that the stone, which produces the Imperia and the Barbarians - the same. For the production of grout would be using some kind of limestone. If this stone is the same that is used by Imperia, then imperial structures are made of limestone and marble. But these rocks are very similar, why we separate them? I just do not know what to do.

We will be merging the wares for trade, so they will be 100% the same in the future anyway. You are of course free to depart with your translation from the original as you see fit - whatever fits your language best! The important thing is that different wares and resources will get different names.

kaputtnik wrote:

Terms like "Marmor" or "Granit" should be omitted, because they are confusing with the real world.

We can't avoid "Marble", because the Empire has 2 different stone wares.

einstein13 wrote:

But to be more specific to the context, we should use "out of rock". I'm not the native speaker, but I understand "stone" as small ones, and "rock" as big ones. In the ground is always rock for me. (If you use another words, I will not cry because of that face-wink.png )

Exactly what we already have (I think) - quarries run out of rock. The mountain stone resource is called "granite" at the moment, which I really didn't like, because mines produce marble and precious stones as well, depending on the tribe. So I want to call the mountain resource "stone", to have a distinct name for the "rock" that quarries quarry.

kaputtnik wrote:

In my opinion we should only use "Rocks" and "Stones" in game. And maybe "Stoneblock" (for something that is is worked out of raw rocks/stones). So a stonemine would work Stoneblocks out of rocks and a Stonemason would make stoneblocks out of stones.

"Stoneblock" would be the perfect solution for German, but unfortunately English speakers call them "blocks of stone". We need something that is 1 word only face-sad.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-04, 22:59

I did some research, looks like limestone can be used to build walls and not just for mortar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limestone#Uses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension_stone#Stone_and_rock_types

The color is a lot lighter than we have in our graphics though.

Edited: 2015-04-04, 23:00

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-05, 11:08

The color is a lot lighter than we have in our graphics though.

That doesn't matter. The coloring (and structure) of limestone has great variations. There are also nearly black or red ones face-smile.png

Top Quote