Latest Posts

Topic: Wiki

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-25, 13:21

Come on, we all know that computers were invented to help you solve problems that you wouldn't have without them face-tongue.png

Wikimedia has a special page for tracking down dead links, but I don't know if something like that ever got implemented here. It all comes down to developer time (or lack thereof).

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-11-25, 13:56

I just wanted to jump in and bring you some good news: With the last update of the website, I renamed some of the pages and to avoid dead links I implemented an automatic redirect to the new page. If a page is renamed the old link will redirect to the new page. For a long term solution the links should of course be changed, but they won't be invalid immediately.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-25, 18:14

Come on, we all know that computers were invented to help you solve problems that you wouldn't have without them face-tongue.png

*lol* you're right

@Shevonar: This is at the moment a good workaround. What about removing pages? Is it possible to rename/mark them as "archive/<name of article>" ?

So, what is the conclusion of this thread?

1. The Wiki needs to be more maintained, sorted. Therefor we have to discuss, what the Websitemenutitels stands for and which links they should contain
  2. Links to the encyclopedia has to be removed, because it works not correct
  3. For working with the wiki, there has to be some tools or workarounds (like shevonars above). Unfortunately the developers do not have the time therefor.

My suggestion is:

• I create a new thread about the websitemenu and his contents
  • After implementing the result of 1. i will go over all menuitems and adjust them according to the needs (i.e. Make articles, if needed; Ad/change pictures, etc) If an article needs greater changes, i make a new thread about a specific article to discuss the content
  • After that we could discuss about the GameManual

Starting at the Websitemenu is the right way, isn't it?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-25, 19:56

@Shevonar: This is at the moment a good workaround. What about removing pages? Is it possible to rename/mark them as "archive/<name of article>" ?

I disagree. This is the only correct solution. See http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html.

Case in point: We used to host the site on xoops.widelands.org with a content management system. That is ~8 years ago. You still find links on the interwebs to this site and crawlers still try to access it. No, a deleted WikiSite should be a redirect or a 'this content is deprecated' site.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-26, 09:55

No, a deleted WikiSite should be a redirect or a 'this content is deprecated' site.

Thats right for internet-handling. But in case of Wiki-working IMHO such articles should have a tag, or similiar thing, to mark them as outdated, removed or deleted. So you could filter i.e. the List to really actual sites. Or you could make a different list with only outdated articles (i.e an archive) or a list with redirects.

But its a decision of your Website developers face-smile.png As User it is boring to ran into articles like AIImprovements, WidelandsFAQ or GameHelpempireBuildings.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-01, 06:18

The tagging sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Nobody is working on the website right now though :(. We need more people.

Top Quote
Dishito
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-12-02, 05:26

Hi...I have read this and...I have created a Translation Dictionary for Spanish. So...here it is: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/TranslationDictionarySpanish/ For the sandbox.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-02, 10:21

Thanks, Dishito face-smile.png

That information should go into the Translations forum though, in this thread: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/569/

The "Translations & Internationalization" forum is where we discuss everything related to translations. You are welcome to open a new thread there if you have any questions face-smile.png

Edited: 2014-12-02, 10:40

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote