Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Icons for the website

Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-03-27, 15:10

I like the "have them hold something" idea for the big picture. They could hold a welcome banner and/or some flowers for example. I currently use it in the original size and I have to admit that the hands do not look that nice.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 09:44

Yes, the members of this mysterious race all have a similar skin tone and most of them have light blonde hair and go bare-chested. The men wear their hair in queues (pony-tails) and typically shave the rest of the head including the eyebrows.

I would never have thought of that but it is a great addition to the lore! I love how we all shape our little world together.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 16:24

SirVer wrote: ... I would never have thought of that but it is a great addition to the lore! I love how we all shape our little world together.

About the Atlanteans, I will go a little off-topic here to say that when I designed the present look of the Atlantean workers, I imagined that their appearance stems in no small part from their distant origins as literally a "sea people" or mer-people. Hence, their somewhat alien appearance and the lore of their past worship of the god of the sea as noted in the first Atlantean campaign. I would like to further pursue this concept of their bond with the sea by introducing more marine items like shells, coral, etc. into the design of their buildings and manufactured wares like tools, and other items. Jewels and crystals should play a more visible role, as well, like I've used in the frontier markers and now the new port building (which could still use some refinement.) face-smile.png

Again stemming from the lore of the first campaign, I think fire and lava should be more prominent in the Atlantean culture now since Princess/Priestess Jundlina's disappointment and turn to the god of fire.

For more discussion on the Atlantean campaign graphics, see Forum Topic 619.

Okay this was a little more than "a little off-topic". face-smile.png Back to the web site icons...

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 16:39

For clarification:

chuckw wrote: I would like to further pursue this concept of their bond with the sea by introducing more marine items like shells, coral, etc. into the design of their buildings and manufactured wares like tools, and other items.

I don't mean that the marine items should be introduced as new wares themselves, just that they appear in some form as relics or adornment.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 18:08

Okay, back to the topic of THIS forum thread. face-smile.png

Here are a couple alternatives for one of the "welcome graphics":

welcome1:
w1

welcome2:
w2

Of these two, I think I like #2 better. You can see more of the costumes and the Atlantean worker's hair. face-wink.png

What do you think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 18:49

chuckw wrote: Of these two, I think I like #2 better. You can see more of the costumes and the Atlantean worker's hair. What do you think?

Oh wow, this is a rare condition face-wink.png BECAUSE: I have to disagree with you. I like #1 much more, because in #2 it looks like the atlantean and imperial Worker are looking towards the barbarian as if it was their cheiftain or similiar. in #1 this is not the case and looks much more like friendship.

AND I don't really like the sign . the idea of holding up a text is very nice, but the rectangular sign and the caligraphic Widelands font look to unnatural. How about some kind of a cloth banner with more or less handwritten "Welcome on our Website" or similiar? face-smile.png

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 19:06

Sorry Chuck, but I am of the exact same opinion as Nasenbaer. However, I am sure you will make something really beautiful with the next try face-smile.png

I had another idea for Tournament News: two soldiers crossing their weapons. Very obvious I think.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 20:22

@Nasenbaer & Shevonar - I can understand how you would like #1. (After all, I made that one, too.) face-grin.png

I'll kick the idea around a little more. I have to agree the "Welcome" sign is probably not the best idea. For one thing, it would not be translatable. However, as a proper noun, just the word "Widelands" stands on its own no matter what the reader's language may be. Cloth can be tricky to depict well in 3D, but I'll see what I can do.

And that is a good idea for Tournament News. It is too bad we couldn't use a jousting scene. The Atlantean mounted on a horse is one thing, but to put him up against a Barbarian on an ox would be too funny I think. face-grin.png

More to come. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 21:43

We also should not forget SirVer's suggestion. Most of the ideas thus far could easily stand on their own without a worker in the scene.

Type Idea description with worker Without Worker
Development Newsposts Stonemason working on a marble column Column emerging from a block of stone
Release / Downloads Smiling worker, that carries a package (visible from one side, front and top) showing the WL icon on the side of the package and an arrow pointing to the bottom on the front <- visualization of downloading Package as described to the left, but with a bow on top
Feature Freeze Worker sitting in front of an ice cube (containing some stuff like e.g. a bottle ship, a tree, an animal, etc) with a pick ajared to the cube showing no more work can be done. Ice cube as described to the left.
Website Development The Atlantean spider-breeder holding one of her "pets" with a big spider web behind her. Spider in web
Play_Day News One or two workers with a soccer ball (football). just a soccer ball
Tournament News A couple workers sitting/standing on a 3D match grid. Just the 3D match grid
Wihack Two or three workers with their noses in their little laptops. Maybe one taking a nap? Just a laptop or keyboard
Miscellaneous News A worker with a megaphone? Just the megaphone Maybe with a big “W” on its side
Security Has to be one of the soldiers don't you think?. A big padlock or combination safe
Artwork/Media A worker with a beret, brush and palette with perhaps some music notes in the air around him? brush, palette, and notes
Tournament News two soldiers crossing their weapons crossed weapons

So, my plan of action will be to work up the scenes WITH workers in them. Then if we decide to remove the workers it will be a far easier task than adding them.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-29, 14:08

Feature Freeze

How about this?
freeze

I see little people.

Top Quote