Latest Posts

Topic: Gardening Centre

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-03-07, 20:12

Man the Amazons are weird. That's a good thing. But it does raise a question. Does this centre only work on regular trees? The help is not detailed enough.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-03-07, 21:01

The gardening centre changes all the nearby land to a more fertile terrain type, e.g. steppe to meadow. This benefits all immovables that require good terrain, so it works for both regular trees and rare woods (and also for frisian berry bushes if the terraformed land is conquered face-wink.png ).

Note that terraforming is mainly there for fun, it's so expensive that it's only truly useful on maps with really bad tree growth.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-03-08, 17:13

Nordfriese wrote:

The gardening centre changes all the nearby land to a more fertile terrain type, e.g. steppe to meadow. This benefits all immovables that require good terrain, so it works for both regular trees and rare woods (and also for frisian berry bushes if the terraformed land is conquered face-wink.png ).

Note that terraforming is mainly there for fun, it's so expensive that it's only truly useful on maps with really bad tree growth.

Hehe, I actually spotted the visible change myself after posting. Pretty neat, terraforming!

I also found the inline help that lists what terrains growing amazon things like and I saw that cocoa "trees" don't care but the rare trees do.

It does seem a luxury item. I built one in my last game and placed it between a rare tree, normal tree and cocoa tree plantation to try and make them all grow faster because I'd assumed that it just added a % bonus not that it changed the terrain. Since it consumes fish+coal it is a building that might not be a good choice at all times. Coal was very tough on the African Savannah map I played since I had to grow trees everywhere to make the Amazons work. (the map is almost treeless at start) The fish might not even be available on a waterless map. Of course such a map would be fatal to the Amazons!

One thing that puzzled me about the tree growth rates in the inline help was that for each rare tree there were 4 entries! Each entry was a different set of terrains and each one had close to 100% types listed first. That made no sense at all to have them split into 4 types and also that it was practically hopless to identify the good and bad tree terrains. Just too many.

Edited: 2022-03-08, 17:15

--

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-03-08, 17:54

One thing that puzzled me about the tree growth rates in the inline help was that for each rare tree there were 4 entries! Each entry was a different set of terrains and each one had close to 100% types listed first. That made no sense at all to have them split into 4 types and also that it was practically hopless to identify the good and bad tree terrains. Just too many.

Unfortunately it is impossible to make a tree that grows equally well on all four kinds (summer, desert, blackland, winter) of fertile terrain but not all terrains including infertile ones. So yes each rare tree comes in four varieties so rare woods can be grown on any map. It's not optimal…

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-03-09, 16:54

Nordfriese wrote:

Unfortunately it is impossible to make a tree that grows equally well on all four kinds (summer, desert, blackland, winter) of fertile terrain but not all terrains including infertile ones. So yes each rare tree comes in four varieties so rare woods can be grown on any map. It's not optimal…

Oh weh. There are 4 types of something? I have no clue what that means. I did see some cryptic references to it when downloading maps but it meant nothing to me.

--

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-03-10, 15:15

mxb2001 wrote:

Oh weh. There are 4 types of something? I have no clue what that means. I did see some cryptic references to it when downloading maps but it meant nothing to me.

in the very ancient ages od widelands maps could only use the terrains of one of our 4 terrain regions. But since already a couple of time a map can use all 4 of them giving a greater variety for map makers (this was called the "one world" change). However each terrain has still its propetties that are affecting growability of trees, bushes, rare trees or everything that has terrain_affinity defined.

Top Quote